Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

SAE or STD? It doesn't say..

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Haha, even with the horrible tune, that ridiculous table of a torque curve should have given it away that this was not an LS1.
guess you totally missed that the graph was only from 2200-4000rpms....
Old 02-27-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blubox
^^^What he said..usually around 5 hp difference or more if your makeing more power..
STD is corrected to a 60°F day with 0% humidity and a barometric pressure of 29.92 in-Hg.

SAE is corrected to a 77°F day with 0% humidity and a barometric pressure of 29.234 in-Hg.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

i think its SAE.. i made 325/342 sae with same mods minus the ls6 intake, with the ls6 im looking to get at least 335/ 350.. exactly what you got
Old 03-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Robert@G-Force
WTF? Are you talking about.
lol, no ****.

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
Yes, I understood that. Thats how they all work, I just didnt know where it originated or when it became popular.

5 more than STP?!?!?!?
I made probly 5 more hp with it being STD than SAE. So it would have showed less HP if it was an SAE correction.

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
i think its SAE.. i made 325/342 sae with same mods minus the ls6 intake, with the ls6 im looking to get at least 335/ 350.. exactly what you got
Mike on the first page who said it was STD is the one who dynoed the car, so it was a STD run.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blubox
I made probly 5 more hp with it being STD than SAE. So it would have showed less HP if it was an SAE correction.
This has been bugging me and the more I look into it STP and STD are the exact same thing. To me STP is Standard Temp & Pressure and is corrected to a unreasonable low temp with a high baro like 29.92 or something IIRC and zero humidity. Thats why I like SAE, and magazines and dyno shops like STP. If they put out higher numbers people will buy more from them.

Dynojet dynos do the same thing, puts out high numbers. So take about 10% off across the board if you ever plan on taking it to a different dyno and trying to compare them.

Anyways, STP/STD is 4% higher than SAE. You can basically take any number thats an STP number and multiply it by .96 to get what your SAE correction number would have been. Now on a Mustang dyno or Superflow dyno your SAE numbers would have been more like 301hp and 315tq.

None of which really matters unless posting high dyno numbers makes you feel good about your manhood or something, but thats just how it is.

Ex: You made about what, 335hp and 350tq on a dynojet with STP correction. So to get that to SAE you subtract 4% to 322hp and 336tq.

Last edited by SweetS10V8; 03-02-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
This has been bugging me and the more I look into it STP and STD are the exact same thing. To me STP is Standard Temp & Pressure and is corrected to a unreasonable low temp with a high baro like 29.92 or something IIRC and zero humidity. Thats why I like SAE, and magazines and dyno shops like STP. If they put out higher numbers people will buy more from them.

Dynojet dynos do the same thing, puts out high numbers. So take about 10% off across the board if you ever plan on taking it to a different dyno and trying to compare them.

Anyways, STP/STD is 4% higher than SAE. You can basically take any number thats an STP number and multiply it by .96 to get what your SAE correction number would have been. Now on a Mustang dyno or Superflow dyno your SAE numbers would have been more like 301hp and 315tq.

None of which really matters unless posting high dyno numbers makes you feel good about your manhood or something, but thats just how it is.

Ex: You made about what, 335hp and 350tq on a dynojet with STP correction. So to get that to SAE you subtract 4% to 322hp and 336tq.
Right, which was the point of the thread. Like you said, it all means nothing. However, if it was SAE I was thinking it dynoed high, but it was STD so it was right around were I thought it would be.

I know how hard the car pulls and that's all that matter. I would rather dyno 301 and smoke somebody claiming they dynoed 350.