Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

A4 in WOT lockup = M6 dyno numbers ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 04:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 in WOT lockup = M6 dyno numbers ???

I am wondering if adding lockup in WOT (yes my converter is up for it, and yes i nave an aftermarket controller) will even out the A4/M6 dyno difference... most of teh additional loss in an auto in in the converter right?? so with a 9 inch converter and the tranny in lock, wouldnt i see higher dyno numbers than would otherwise be expected with an a4

hope the above makes sense.. and that its in the right forum...

comments wellcomed
Old 03-02-2009, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't believe so, in an automatic you still have more parasitic loss than a manual.

edit: You may get "close" though.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by deuce_454
I am wondering if adding lockup in WOT (yes my converter is up for it, and yes i nave an aftermarket controller) will even out the A4/M6 dyno difference... most of teh additional loss in an auto in in the converter right?? so with a 9 inch converter and the tranny in lock, wouldnt i see higher dyno numbers than would otherwise be expected with an a4

hope the above makes sense.. and that its in the right forum...

comments wellcomed
I heard the numbers with a locked convertor will be very close to M6 numbers. I believe it too. I had a buddy with a 2002 ws6, stock A4, 3600 stall, TR224 cam, LT's make 397rwhp!! stock heads. Hell most M6s with that 224 dont make that.

My AFR205/X4/90mm H/C setup made 460 on that dyno, same day, same tuner so I know the dyno wasnt reading high.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:42 PM
8 Second Club

i watched a 98 z with an A4 on the dyno-it had a small cam and made 353 unlocked and locked it made 374. i think it will be close also.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The numbers should be closer, but still won't match an M6. Autos have more parasitic losses through the trans.

My question is why would you want to do that?? Its not an accurate representation of the actual power you're going to be putting to the wheels on the street, because you aren't going to be driving around with the converter locked in every gear. That defeats the purpose of an aftermarket converter completely.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
The numbers should be closer, but still won't match an M6. Autos have more parasitic losses through the trans.

My question is why would you want to do that?? Its not an accurate representation of the actual power you're going to be putting to the wheels on the street, because you aren't going to be driving around with the converter locked in every gear. That defeats the purpose of an aftermarket converter completely.
Its easy, people are too caught up in dyno numbers.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

It let's you see your powerband for peak torque, horsepower, etc. That's important for choosing your stall and baselining your shift points (the converter will change it, but you know where you engine makes best power). That's important if you want to choose a converter with the right sort of shift extension as an example.

It also helps diagnose that your engine is putting out something close to right. If you are making 390rwhp locked and you have a 427 with a 250 duration cam, you might want to lock it to make sure you're not making 425rwhp. Since the dyno is a tool, you want to use it to help diagnose any problems (valve spring harmonics at high RPM, etc.). This is important because you don't want the torque converter's torque multiplication adding another variable.

But, if your converter is stout enough, you may want to lock it up on the back 1/8 to put more power to the ground and ET and MPH better.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's actually more accurate than unlocked because the converter isn't acting like a sponge, absorbing horsepower.

You can't "load" the motor with an unlocked stall, when you hit it it wings the motor to the flash point of the converter.

If you want to look at it from your point of view, you're not mashing the gas at 2000 rpm in 4th with a M6 on the street either, but that's how you dyno them. 4th gear, 1:1 for the most accurate reading. Dynoing in any other gear skews the results.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
It's actually more accurate than unlocked because the converter isn't acting like a sponge, absorbing horsepower.

You can't "load" the motor with an unlocked stall, when you hit it it wings the motor to the flash point of the converter.

If you want to look at it from your point of view, you're not mashing the gas at 2000 rpm in 4th with a M6 on the street either, but that's how you dyno them. 4th gear, 1:1 for the most accurate reading. Dynoing in any other gear skews the results.
Working at Virginia Speed now? I knew you were doing tuning for them, but cool.

Quick Reply: A4 in WOT lockup = M6 dyno numbers ???