Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pat G grind...227/231 .614 .617 112+2
Old 04-08-2009, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Captain InsaneO
I agree with this.

I don't agree with this.

Regardless, if he's happy with 12hp, that's all that matters.
That 12hp will turn into 25+ on a completely built/stroked NA setup. Even moreso on FI setup. There is nothing wrong with this mod. If you have the money, do it. Because for any top notch, max effort NA or FI build--> your gonna need it.

Congrats to OP. I wish I still had my C5. Darn the luck.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I find it funny that when guys post the vs LS6 comparisons, the LS6 is always shown using a stock TB & inlet opening while the competing manifold (usually a FAST) w/ a very large TB & intake opening. The thread then usually turns into a FAST humpfest for the FAST crowd.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The sobering reality....a ported FAST is not a huge bang for the buck (most of the more astute among us already know that).

The other sobering reality (more related to this thread)....its even less of a bang for the buck with stock heads because with stock heads the stock GM intake doesnt represent as large a restriction.

Honestly with premium aftermarket heads and a solid combination most of my customers see around 22-25 RWHP....some a couple more and some a couple less but 20+ RWHP is commonplace. Even at the prices I charge to meticulously go thru that manifold that represents a gain that cost you about $75 a pony (including the cost of the new intake, porting, and larger TB). When your already making big power, you can expect to spend that much per pony as your looking for more....even more with some mods and it gets uglier from there as you keep raising the bar of your baseline.

Its a chunk of power if you already have the rest of your combo dialed in....its the difference of losing by a car and a half or winning by a fender. The first time you find yourself in that first category the more you will give it serious thought....LOL

BTW, the gains the OP saw with stock heads were solid from the ported FAST swap....I normally quote 10-15 (once again with stock heads) and he saw right smack in the middle of that typical gain scenario. The good news is he has another 10 RWHP waiting for him when he finally takes the plunge on a premium set of aftermarket heads (instead of seeing say 30 more HP from that swap he will see 40 HP tapping into the 10 HP from the manifold swap he didnt take advantage now due to his stock heads in the mix currently).

The FAST situation isnt for everyone but it makes sense for anyone looking to get the most from their combination and are fortunate enough right now to be able to pay for it.

-Tony
Old 04-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Tony! I am not disappointed at all by the gains I saw. As you can see, there is more power once I tune it on the dyno; the dip at 5k seems to be holding me back a little bit, as well as getting heads/having mine ported. Sure some guys have/claim to have 430-440rwhp with a cam only, but my cam is relatively small compared to those guys and Im not one for dyno wars/numbers.

This mod makes more sense than most other mods that cost between 12-1500 (ie exhaust on vettes add ZERO yet a lot of guys get it, I got this instead for much less than $1200) and it was worked over by the master himself and I gained a SOLID 12rwhp and 10rwtq. O FWIW, the FAST was port matched to AFR 225 heads