Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

New dyno numbers after head only swap ( PRC 2.5 )

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:04 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Budget heads or not, that's a pretty healthy cam, and about as high of compression as you would want and the torque is still kind of soft. I've got hand ported heads from back in 2002 with a tr224 cam and put down almost 410 ft/lbs of torque, and that was when I had macs with a crushed 2.5" ypipe and a mail order 2002 tune. Check out the afr and it wasn't optimized either as it was running to lean and getting knock, but what do you expect with a maf translator on your car.

I bet if he swapped to a stock ls6 head, he'd pick up power and torque. Go on and call me a hater, but I'm not affiliated with any shop or any sponsor.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just from a couple of quick glances, the car was making more torque at about 2500 rpms, and close to being the same torque at 3000-3500rpms, it isnt till 4000rpms that the 5.3's start picking up power. And on the Horsepower side it isnt until about 4800rpms that it makes more power. Not "hating Here" just reading the graph. Of course there are alot of factors that can mess with the dyno numbers, but im just reading what is posted.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like too much has been said by us "haters", time for the "boys" to clean up the posts or delete it like every other thread. A lot of people are catching on here, I guess its a good thing to be money protected though...
Old 06-03-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good work on your project.

A point to ponder might be that cam selection. With that type of static CR and pretty high DCR, I wonder if you might actually pick up more by going to a different cam.

Please do not take it as criticism. With 4.10's and heavier wheels I understand the dyno 'handicap'.

From my experience whenever you have to start dialing spark advance down dramatically, it is giving you a hint that your gas (octane) is not keeping up with your cylinder pressure.

Just a thought. I run ~8.5-8.6 on my DCR and it is borderline at times (91 Octane). Might be a case where a different cam profile might allow you to actually optimize those heads to an even greater advantage.

Again, I think it is an interesting heads only comparison. If you wanted constructive feedback, that would be my input.

Congrats and enjoy your ride.

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 06-03-2009, 09:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's clear that some people still do not understand the concept of not being able to compare dyno graphs when more than one thing changed. HE ADDED LARGER/HEAVIER WHEELS TOO. Now where on the graph and by how much did the wheel change affect the graph??? Anybody? Nobody knows, it's just a guess if anyone answers. I can tell you that this wheel swap didn't push the numbers up higher though!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:45 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

So the wheels/tires combo sucked out maybe 4-5 ft/lbs and 6-10hp. I've rarely seen these heads make 400ft/lbs of torque, even with all the bolt ons, headers, stock gears, stock wheels etc.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:00 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Strange.....most threads where someone picks up 5ftlbs all the way across the powerband with any kind of cam or head swap people rave about how great the car must drive now, and SOTP must be fantastic, the swap was well worth it, etc!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 06-03-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
It's clear that some people still do not understand the concept of not being able to compare dyno graphs when more than one thing changed. HE ADDED LARGER/HEAVIER WHEELS TOO. Now where on the graph and by how much did the wheel change affect the graph??? Anybody? Nobody knows, it's just a guess if anyone answers. I can tell you that this wheel swap didn't push the numbers up higher though!
Ironic!
Old 06-03-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

What is the advance in the cam? 111+? LSA
Old 06-03-2009, 10:18 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
You sound Grouchy! Bro I was not knocking the heads you make. I was just simply reading what was on the graph. And If you would of read until the end of my post instead of jumping to conclusions, i said,"OFCOURSE THERE ARE ALOT OF FACTORS THAT CAN EFFECT THE DYNO GRAPH!" ~i.e. HEAVIER WHEELS!!!!!! There are also factors like humidity, temp, how hot the car was and if the gas was 91, 92, or 93 octane and much, much more. So take a chill pill and breathe bro. Something has got you stressed out cuz i havent seen you post the way you are posting right now. My Diagnosis: TAKE A VACATION! LOL
Old 06-03-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

You guys are expecting too much out of these budget heads. Remember, these are budget heads, so power gains across the board aren't to be expected. It did make good power up top, as a drag only car needs.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:22 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Actually I'm in a very good mood this morning And my post wasn't directed at you as much as others who don't have anything positive to add to this, or most any other thread regarding any TSP/PRC products on this forum.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Jedi Master

TSP is budget so you're going to get budget results.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, let us focus on the tech side. I've put the numbers through my spreadsheet and at 111+0 LSA it is at 8.7 DCR, at 111+2 8.89 DCR and at 111+4 over 9.0 DCR

So with relatively no split, we are dealing with pretty high cylinder pressures, and the OP admits it was showing KR and pulling timing.

It is odd that there is virtualy no trq gain untill past 3500 rpm. Something is not right. I would spend some additional time tuning and try a few runs with higher octane fuel to see if that is part of the issue

Also there was no mention of type of plugs used, that combo would definitely need colder plugs.

I think there is more into this than meets the eye and OP should consider all options.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think a different cam for the heads will make up the extra power. It does seem a little low but I'm thinking this is the cams fault mostly. Its just some weird lifts there. Although i don't know much about cams, but PredZ here can hook you up with a cam to actually make some power.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Teching In

The plugs that were used on this dyno were TR55's gapped at .45 ... I have since swapped in TR6's gapped at .35 and it cut the KR in half. The dyno runs were done on 92 octane. As stated, this cam wouldn't have been my first choice, but I wanted to get as close to a apples to apples comparison on the dyno, for the head swap and then go from there. I have also put in an SSRA ( was logging some pretty high IAT's before ) and been messing with the a tune a bit and the car is really waking up. Also, with running a wideband, the car is running a bit rich up top... going from 12.9 to 12.5 at 5900 to 6500. There is more left in it, but this was literally just a bolt on job and see the dyno for the gains.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

hmmm. So its a head\cam setup with full bolt ons, all that is missing is a Fast intake.
High compression yet torque peaked at 380 lb\ft and was soft all across. HP peaked at 410hp?

Buddy man, I wish your results were better. I know what is being said on this thread isnt what you want to hear, but its the truth. Something is up here. First off, i would say the cam isnt too great as your motor output wasnt all that great even before the heads. However, you should have picked up more then what you did with a head swap.

The torque increase you got is in large part due to the near 1.5 points of compression alone. Now it is true that you 4.11 gearing does not help your torque numbers. The wheels... maybe they knock off a few horseys, but not 20.

I dont know if you have the means (money), but if you do i would suggest selling your heads and cam, or at least returning the heads if you can and selling the cam, and trying again. I would not be happy with the results, especially with a cam with a radical lift like that. But that is me. If you are happy with your car, happy with your results, that is all that matters. Best of luck with your car and build bud.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey 2slow:

I know you are probably getting tired of some of the responses, but since this is a Tech Board, perhaps you can help us out here.

I, like many of us have thought of going to a 59cc head at one point, but was worried about too much CR for the type of gas we have across a lot of the U.S.

What I am really curious about it is what advance do you have on that cam? Why did you opt for very little intake/exhaust split on the cam? Was the cam degreed?

Again, I am asking in the utmost sincerity. It is a Tech Board..we are all trying to learn. I am just wondering if there is too much DCR built into this combo. It might be a case where reducing your cylinder pressure with a different cam would be highly advantageous.

I think everybody is just a little confused with the TQ values. It is a 59cc head..everybody expects at least 400-420TQ+ out of it, or why would anyone ever buy a head with that much CR.

Again, if you can share the details perhaps we can all learn a little more.

Thanks. Enjoy your ride.

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 06-04-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

That is the question I asked. What is the advance in your cam 111+??? LSA

already at 111+0 LSA it is 8.74 which is premium fuel territory (you might be having issues running 92).

The main issue I find here is that the heads were milled too much for this combo.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Teching In

No offense taken on any of the previous posts, I am always open to suggestions ( I had already planned on replacing the current cam ), I will grab the cam card when I get back in a couple hours... It is a custom grind the previous owner had in the car before I got it. I believe he said it was put in straight up...

Quick Reply: New dyno numbers after head only swap ( PRC 2.5 )