Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Tuned/Dyno TA-FAST-6.0 230/236. Kinda disappointed with numbers

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi-Po
Yea, thats what is pissing me off. I didnt go with him, and he spent a MAX of 10-15 minutes out driving. Granted it was raining, or was raining. They were NOT swamped at all. This is supposed to be 'they best' place around, or at least one of the best.

I called him yesterday and told him the car is stalling randomly, hit very very low RPM's, and has a considerable amount of bucking/surging. He pretty much told me I was wrong and asked why it didnt to that to him while he drove it. My thought I wanted to say was... " Well **** Sir, You drove it for 10 effing minutes!!!"

Anyway, I am now racking up scans/data logs of when the car stalls and hits RPMs of 350. I understand with a medium size cam like a 230/236 it WILL have some bucking and surging in some areas. I just think I have more then what should be allowable for a 450 dollar tune. The car pulls like crazy though, put almost 200 miles on it today
The irony.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gh0st
The irony.
I must have missed it. Care to point it out?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I read my PCM today and compared my stock file with my aftertune file. I was shocked at how little was changed. And whats wierd, the VE tables were UNTOUCHED. Thoughts?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like I would be asking this big name tuner for my money back, or to at least finish the tune. You paid for it, you shouldn't have to pay more for them to finish what they started.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im totally disappointed. These comparison files of stock and after are just depressing
Old 06-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Now, the HP was 415 at the wheel at 6300 and it only lost 4 HP at 6800. The car rips, and I think it will do good at the track. But the tune just bugs me. LS1Edit. How did he do MAF and VE tables with Edit? Again, the track is all I care about and a good ET. But these numbers seems slightly low. Im not bad mouthing the place I got tuned, no names are being mentioned, I am just boggled with the LS1edit software and 'kinda' low dino numbers. Thoughts?
Sorry but, your tuner does not have as great of an effect on ET as quality of your tires/suspension/track prep/driver skill.

What your tuner does have a great effect on is MPH in the 1/4 and drivabitlity. From your feedback in this thread you are not getting the drivability you are looking for- In total fairness, what about posting up MPH gaines, or losses with the setup you now have as opposed to what you had?
Old 06-15-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Doc
Sorry but, your tuner does not have as great of an effect on ET as quality of your tires/suspension/track prep/driver skill.

What your tuner does have a great effect on is MPH in the 1/4 and drivabitlity. From your feedback in this thread you are not getting the drivability you are looking for- In total fairness, what about posting up MPH gaines, or losses with the setup you now have as opposed to what you had?
I dont remember saying if I had a poor ET because of a 3.0 60 ft I was going to blame it on my tuner. In total honesty, this car has never been to the track. I would love to have some numbers to give to you, and myself. The thing Im not happy with is the fact my RPM's dipped into the mid 200's today and almost stalled while taking a turn. And dipped into the low 300's 3 times yesterday. I know how much some 1/4 mile comparisons would help, but I simply cant produce.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Well, I read my PCM today and compared my stock file with my aftertune file. I was shocked at how little was changed. And whats wierd, the VE tables were UNTOUCHED. Thoughts?
That's a start.

What do your fuel trims look like

Sounds like he probably raped the PE tables and called it good.

I'd reload the stock tune and start from scratch. Who knows what's buried in the file.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:05 AM
8 Sec Tuner

LS1 edit can do wonders! What do you think all the shops were using before HP tuners. Yes HP tuners is a little more user friendly and the data logger is very nice. But I tuned for years with just a Tech 2 and LS1/LT1 Edit with zero issues.

Now if your fuel trims are wacked out greater than + or - 5% i.e. LTFT 20% then the car will run like crap. Take a log and email it to me. I dont mind taking a peek. I love hack job tunes.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sure ill send them to you.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nocooler
That's a start.

What do your fuel trims look like

Sounds like he probably raped the PE tables and called it good.

I'd reload the stock tune and start from scratch. Who knows what's buried in the file.
How the LTFT are a very healthly ummm.... + 7, +13's +8's / -13's, -8's , -7's

Basicially they look like complete ****.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

How the LTFT are a very healthly ummm.... + 7, +13's +8's / -13's, -8's , -7's

Basicially they look like complete ****.
Yeah that's not good.

I'd ask for a refund or make him fix the tune.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nocooler
Yeah that's not good.

I'd ask for a refund or make him fix the tune.
I just want a refund. Or even take 100 bucks for the time spend and give back the rest. I want to do this my way now. Im thinking I wont get my money back simply because he knows I have software and have a copy of his tune. Not that I will be using anything at all from his tune.

Hes commanding 11.6's untill 5200. Then commands 11.4's. This is a NA motor.

The IFR table is completely screwed. Its flat for the first to cells, then jumps... and is flat all the way to the end where it falls and is flat for the last two cells. I can pretty much use nothing from this tune and just want a refund.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

Starting over is your best bet.

Maybe work out some dyno time so you can verify everything after you get it right.

Then take him for a ride on a real tune....
Old 06-21-2009, 11:31 AM
12 Second Club

Are your O2 sensors good? I had bad O2s when my car was tuned...they went out a week later and was running really rich. I have since replaced them and the car does not seem to want to learn the tune. It is acting similar to yours...surging...dying...I think I need a re-tune with my cutout/EWP installed and some new O2s.

My HPTuners shows my LTFT +/- 5 to maxed out. I should just buy a wideband and try it myself.

Good Luck
Old 06-22-2009, 03:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ExceSSive
Are your O2 sensors good? I had bad O2s when my car was tuned...they went out a week later and was running really rich. I have since replaced them and the car does not seem to want to learn the tune. It is acting similar to yours...surging...dying...I think I need a re-tune with my cutout/EWP installed and some new O2s.

My HPTuners shows my LTFT +/- 5 to maxed out. I should just buy a wideband and try it myself.

Good Luck
Well, I have since went to a 1 bar speed density tune. With the first file, It all stopped

Could possibly be that my "tunard" didnt noticed my IAC counts were zero (0) at warm idle. Fixing that alone would have helped alot. Im very close to nailing this SD tune, with the help of a great tuner of course. But either way, I have learned alot so far, and the car runs better then that Tunard did.

He left my VE tables completely stock. Now, my "stock" file he had me load before tuning was NOT a completely stock file. I told him, and he also agreed it was a hoirrible tune. Just another tune by another great Tunard in MI. He Based everything he did off that horrible 'stock' tune for some reason. Even after I told him, and he 100% agreed it was a hoirrbile tune. My IFR tables were FLAT. Flat for the first to cells. Then FLAT all the way to the last two cells. Then flat again. They were not sloped, in anyway. The VE should have been logged and changed. Even with the "stock" tune, it was on a stock LQ4 cam. Going to a 230/236 cam. Im so close to spreading this tuners name everywhere and let everyone know he WILL take shortcuts if possible. Im just trying not to burn bridges, even though I wont get any money back from this Tunard. I now have this SD tune very close. No stalling, No bucking, no surging. 12.8 at WOT. Its very close and just needs some fine tuning.

I gurantee 8/10 people here have heard of this shop, and heard of this tuner. But there sure would be alot of drama if I listed this shop.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:21 AM
Staging Lane

good luck working it out.... I would not hesitate to bust the shops ***** if they screwed you
Old 06-30-2009, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by erollinc
good luck working it out.... I would not hesitate to bust the shops ***** if they screwed you
Better be careful "bashing" sponsors on here, even if you have proof, and are telling the truth. Keep in pm and out of the public eye. I nearly got banned for not going about correcting my issues with a sponsor in a more private / professional manner.

Bottom line, even if you are correct and can prove everything, do it in PM and be professional or you'll get a nice vacation to "banned camp" Trust me you don't want that. Just resolve your issues directly, and report back whether your issues were resolved or not.

Best of luck. Hopefully your mystery tuner will see you aren't trying to smear his name and re-consider taking care of your issues.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I more then likely will not start anything now. Its just too much of a hassle/drama. The owner of this well known shop, called me and asked if I would take my car BACK to them, so he could PERSONALLY tune it himself. This was after the orginal tuner and I had a few phone conversations that all ended very poorly and un-professional. The orginal tuner basically asked for a second chance. I dont know about you guys, but in the professional tuning world, there should never be any "second chances". Thats BS. I declined to go back to thier shop. There was definately bad blood between the orginal tuner and I, and I really didnt feel like ever seeing him again. I should NOT have to go back for a second tune after paying 450 USD.

My tune is staightened out now. Thanks to Frost (www.tunedbyfrost.com) sponsor here. He tuned my car through email in SD. I have HPT Pro and a wideband, so that made it possible. Car runs great. Zero stalling, bucking, surging. Car rips. I would be willing to bet I have a few more HP with this tune. Frost really knows his HPT, and I highly reccomend his skills to anyone.

As much as I want to bury this Tunard's rep and name, I feel it would bring unwanted drama to me.

Again ,Thank you Steve (Frost).
Old 06-30-2009, 06:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you numbers are pretty strong for the combo. Bottom line,if your not happy with the tune take it back and bitch at them. Don't do buisness with them anymore if they don't make it right. Goodluck to ya. Also,I had sponsors mad at me for me telling the truth about their dyno being too high after I was on two others after it.

Last edited by mike c.; 06-30-2009 at 06:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Tuned/Dyno TA-FAST-6.0 230/236. Kinda disappointed with numbers