Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

AFR 205's + 228/228 113* = 500 RWHP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 07:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
And I'll bet your old combo wasn't maximized like this particular car's, huh? Not only is this car's tune optimized but so is the entire package/combo. You can have all the bolt ons you want with all the "best of the best" parts and that doesn't automatically equal "the best of the best" numbers. So, to answer your ridiculous question, No. Keep building the large cube motors but leave the head,cam,valve train selection/setup to people who know what they're doing as opposed to going through a parts catalog and asking for cam advice on the internet.

I say that this is the most ridiculous post I've seen in a while here in the Dyno section, and that says a lot!

What it says in the 1st post is that this is an ENTIRELY optimized combo I.E H/C (I'm assuming hand finishing, re-done VJ and a cam that is actually suited for the combo), valve train, induction and tune. No secrets, no "magic", no ******* pixie dust. Him going to the track and running a number isn't going to prove whether or not this car makes the power that's claimed. That has already been brought up and is constantly beat to death on this forum as most peoples cars aren't setup for track duty, they most likely aren't the best of drivers/shift slow, etc etc etc.

And this gem... Please, go and tell that to all of the sponsors that have done it with ported OEM castings. Hell, I've witnessed a pair of TEA's (TFS pimpster, no offense Tooley!) stg 2.5 LS6 heads with additional "hand finishing" via TEA, put down 492rwhp in 110 +/- degree weather on a H/C 90/90 346. Hell, If I remember right, Patrick G's optimized combo put down 500+ with AFR's as well.

Sorry but it doesn't take "some bad *** TFS heads and a bad *** cam, ported 92/92 and full boltons" to come close to or even eclipse 500rwhp. It takes a well thought out combination that is thoroughly optimized in all the right areas.

OP, Tony,

Great job fellas!
Man you are really full of yourself arent you. FYI the guy who put together both of my motors has built MANY LSX motors including the most powerful NA 418 in the US so "I" really didnt put **** together. I listened to experts and they put my combos together and then had them tuned by one of the leading tuners in this area. I am glad you think you know everything there is to know about these cars but maybe, just maybe there are other smart people out there that have great results. In short, the fact that you frequent this area doesnt mean you are smarter than everyone else.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:58 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No secrets, no "magic", no ******* pixie dust.

I love the humor OMG I have not laughed like that since my Tuning Mentor was talking about PFM calculations in the ECU.

Well being the naive & curious individual that I am, caught up in tuning learning nightmare. Not finding any humor in anything as I was completely rattled!

I finally asked were or what is this PFM table ........he advised "Pure ******* Magic"

Awesome & Thank you

Last edited by ctd; 10-25-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:10 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that Tony put in his super secret ballbearing kit in this motor.

I got my eye on you Mamo. I been on to you for years.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just out of curiosity, how lean was it on the top end?
Old 11-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by ccajun4real
Man you are really full of yourself arent you. FYI the guy who put together both of my motors has built MANY LSX motors including the most powerful NA 418 in the US so "I" really didnt put **** together. I listened to experts and they put my combos together and then had them tuned by one of the leading tuners in this area. I am glad you think you know everything there is to know about these cars but maybe, just maybe there are other smart people out there that have great results. In short, the fact that you frequent this area doesnt mean you are smarter than everyone else.

Link to this "most powerful NA 418 in the US"
Old 11-02-2009, 07:22 PM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by novaflash2002
just out of curiosity, how lean was it on the top end?
First three back to back runs in my street tune configuration, using my WB logging HPT AFR was very flat up to 6200rpm 12.4 to 12.6.

Then as the rpm increased my AFR went to 11.73 to 12.19

These runs were 491.3, 491.6 & 493 rwhp.

I corrected the 6200 rpm plus AFR to 12.4 & 12.6, added some timing...then three runs of 499.1, 500.2 & 499.6 rwhp.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

I sure am glad this build had afr heads and not some crappy gm/patriot heads.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:02 PM
LS6
TECH Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ctd
Guys,

I spoke with Tony Mamo several times about where I wanted to be with a H/C combination for this motor, conservative yet stout with an ability to see 7000 rpm & not nose over.

His recommendations included a set of milled AFR 205's that he would invest some additional time porting/optimizing by hand (think you guys refer to this as "Mamofied 205's" in other builds I have seen), of course one of his ported FAST 90/ported LS2 TB combos, and Tony also recommended a custom grind single pattern cam due to the flow characteristics of the ported heads and the fact I wanted to also make as much low speed TQ as possible while not hurting the big HP numbers upstairs (yes...like most I wanted the have your cake and eat it to scenario!). I of course also included some of the other popular supporting bolt ons, LG Pros including 3" mufflers, Cadillac Racing Lifters, YT 1.7 roller rockers, EWP & UD pulley.

I installed the components a year ago, run it up on a Mustang dyno with good results.

I also spent the bulk of this summer learning how to tune via a multitude of emails, reading, watching DVD's, collaborating with a friend who has very in depth understanding of the tuning software. Very key component to bringing the entire package together! This made the dyno session very quick, the numbers were hit within a few runs.

As this tuning process went on all the classic clutch problems began to develop, and ultimately I had to replace that. In my quest for power I decided I should have 4:10 rear installed at the same time, an LS7 clutch, LS2 Flywheel, new Slave & remote bleeder. My thinking was the 4:10's would hopefully ease the life of the clutch.

In the same building I had the parts installed was a Dyno Dynamics eddy current dyno, and after finding out about an previous dyno day I decided to review some runs & met with some of the participants. They had a good turn out and certainly not a generous dyno with a bonestock C6Z06 making a best run of 441 RWHP which seems to be in line (or lower honestly) than most of the online results I have read about. Realistically, I was hoping for 475+ and was obviously pretty thrilled when we rolled a couple of runs in the high 490's and one run that just eeked out 500 RWHP!! I was also quite pleased with the low RPM torque output....most of the higher powered (typically big cam) stock displacement builds don't make those kinds of numbers under 4000 RPM's, at least from what I have observed pouring over the various results. And the torque (440 RWTQ) feels very good in the car btw....you can really feel it push you in the seat above 4K.

Needless to say there were several very impressed onlooker's as the runs took place, my Black 3X Vert had done proud!

Looks like Tony may have prescribed just the recipe I needed to try and maintain the best of both worlds. It wasn't a budget build by any stretch but I'm really happy about the results and wanted to share.

Here is copy of all the runs I made....I was also impressed how consistent they were (Tony....thanks for helping out with the dyno graph!)

Cheers,
Dale

Very nice since this is streetable combo

congratulation to you and Tony Mamo
Old 12-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WeathermanShawn
It is from 5250 Rpm's that by virtue of the Hp Formula: Hp=TQ X RPM/5252 that the '500' HP number is blowing people away. Any time you can hang on to a torque curve past 5250..the HP difference becomes exponential.[/I]
I cannot believe everyone is having such a hard time with this simple formula. Lol. Seems like everyone does not understand it and is just over looking your post instead of trying to learn something.

I have no reason to dought the OP's numbers. Sweet numbers bro, congrats to you and Tony. I bet its a blast to drive.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VeTTeMaNC486
I cannot believe everyone is having such a hard time with this simple formula. Lol. Seems like everyone does not understand it and is just over looking your post instead of trying to learn something.

I have no reason to dought the OP's numbers. Sweet numbers bro, congrats to you and Tony. I bet its a blast to drive.
A little off subject, but it was after this thread that I noticed discerning facts from opinions is pretty tough on a forum board. I also was a little surprised that the more technical responses either get 'blown' off or simply never discussed.

I also learned a lot from Toni's and others threads and explanations, and it just seems that if someone already has their mind made up..sometimes it is very hard or perhaps impossible to change it.

And in all fairness, you never know what internal marketing wars may be going on, and who is being totally objective, or who has another angle (unbeknownst to the other readers).

I guess in a perfect world, you would have a dozen or so 'final arbitrators' as to the validity of a claim or thread. Especially when it becomes controversial as perhaps this thread did at times.

For purposes of this thread, I think many readers understand basic dyno and HP/TQ calculations, but I agree this OP got put through the ringer..and perhaps unfairly at times.

Thanks for listening. Just another opinion in the grand scheme of things, but I appreciate you and other readers that keep the discussion technical. I always learn more that way, and I am sure others do as well.

Regards..

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 10-16-2010, 01:04 PM
10 Second Club

All doubt can be answered at the track. But the OP doesn't go to the track.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hate this flippin section...sick and tired of seeing folks who put up these astronomical rwhp #'s on these optimized combo's...there are too many dang variables to compare dyno here with dyno there. Anyone who dyno's over 480rwhp on a stock SB LS1 ought to have to back it up with trap speeds at the 1/4 LOL.

Guys, read all this for what it is, info. Don't go chasing waterfalls (oh, I mean dyno numbers). Put together the best combo you can, from a shop you personally trust, and then deal with whatever it ends up doing. There are more important things in life besides dyno numbers...just sayin.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:49 PM
11 Second Club

^ So much truth in that statement.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:09 AM
TECH Addict

You are making some REALLY good power with that combo!!!

Congrats to you!!
Old 10-17-2010, 03:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
I think the rear is also not as "parasitic" on a Vette....especially when compared to the larger 12 bolt and Ford 9" options sometimes installed.
I feel stupid for asking this...but what rear ends do Corvettes come with (C5 and C6)?
Old 10-18-2010, 11:21 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys, read all this for what it is, info. Don't go chasing waterfalls (oh, I mean dyno numbers). Put together the best combo you can, from a shop you personally trust, and then deal with whatever it ends up doing. There are more important things in life besides dyno numbers...just sayin.
One of the most solid statements I've ever read from a member of LS1tech. Amen.

I feel stupid for asking this...but what rear ends do Corvettes come with (C5 and C6)?
IRS
Old 10-19-2010, 02:35 AM
12 Second Club

wow this build sounds very similar to what i'm working on. AFR 205s, 228/230, FAST 90. but you have an edge up on me with better exhaust components and EWP and U/D pulley as well. but your results are very reassuring! great build man!
Old 12-28-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

this make me sick i need to go back to the drawing board with my 402 might be giving tony another call

congrats man thats pretty cool

fyi tony i maybe helpin my old man build a road coarse / autocross c5 zo6 we were talkin about doin a 382 with some AFRs and a fast 102 that id have you port (both the heads and intake) with the cam of your liking, just a heads up for the future
Old 12-29-2010, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 12-29-2010, 07:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nobody runs their car here LOL. Makes you wonder huh.

Quick Reply: AFR 205's + 228/228 113* = 500 RWHP!!