Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

What do you guys think of my numbers stock AFR 205 Heads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 06:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Cats do get clogged. The richer you run, the faster they die.
Yea But my A/F ratio is 12.9-13.0 to the top. But maybe could be clogged.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am going to be changing exhaust here in the next month or so. Right now I have QTP Tri-Y headers on the Vette. I am going to LG Pro's. Two big differences so we will see what it does. First, the LG's have longer primaries. Second, and in my mind just as important, the mid pipes and CATS are all 3". I think once you get to this level where you have a good performing motor, you need to take a hard look at the exhaust side of things.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I am going to be changing exhaust here in the next month or so. Right now I have QTP Tri-Y headers on the Vette. I am going to LG Pro's. Two big differences so we will see what it does. First, the LG's have longer primaries. Second, and in my mind just as important, the mid pipes and CATS are all 3". I think once you get to this level where you have a good performing motor, you need to take a hard look at the exhaust side of things.
Will be interesting to see your results. My setup is through FLP 1 3/4" LT's which I'm sure aren't as good as the LG Pro's w/ the nice collectors. I just don't know what I'm leaving on the table in the header/ORX department. If it's only 10RWHP or less then I'll keep my $1200.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Red99TA
Will be interesting to see your results. My setup is through FLP 1 3/4" LT's which I'm sure aren't as good as the LG Pro's w/ the nice collectors. I just don't know what I'm leaving on the table in the header/ORX department. If it's only 10RWHP or less then I'll keep my $1200.
If I had paid new price I likely wouldn't do this, but the LG's were used and I can likely get the same amount or slightly less for the QTP's if this works out so the out of pocket should be small. If you keep your eye open, here and on Corvetteforum, you can find used headers that may allow an upgrade for minimal cost.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also curious to see how the new headers perform on your setup, vettenuts. I currently have Dynatech 1-3/4" LT's, but the coating has mostly come off so I either need to have them recoated or sell them as is and get new ones. I'm wondering if the ARH 1-7/8" LT's will gain me anything.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey bud what was your final results on the dyno? Mine were 427 rwhp with cats I found out that I could possible get another 10rwhp if I cut them off.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
I'm also curious to see how the new headers perform on your setup, vettenuts. I currently have Dynatech 1-3/4" LT's, but the coating has mostly come off so I either need to have them recoated or sell them as is and get new ones. I'm wondering if the ARH 1-7/8" LT's will gain me anything.
What was the coating? I thought that coatings lasted a long time. I considered the ARH 1-7/8 and if I hadn't gotten the LG's would have likely gone with the ARH's. Who knows, we'll see how the LG's perform
Old 04-16-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by corvet786c
Hey bud what was your final results on the dyno? Mine were 427 rwhp with cats I found out that I could possible get another 10rwhp if I cut them off.
It was 445/402 STD but that was with 24 deg timing, LS6 intake, ported stock TB, and a little bit of knock down low. I'm putting in a McLeod twin in a couple weeks and once broken in I'll get back to the dyno this summer now that I'm running the self-ported 90/90 setup and 26 deg timing. I'll be happy with 450-460RWHP SAE.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

It was 445/402 STD but that was with 24 deg timing, LS6 intake, ported stock TB, and a little bit of knock down low. I'm putting in a McLeod twin in a couple weeks and once broken in I'll get back to the dyno this summer now that I'm running the self-ported 90/90 setup and 26 deg timing. I'll be happy with 450-460RWHP SAE.
Sounds good strong potential.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

If I recall correctly, you were wondering if your exhaust may be hurting you a bit with you last setup as well.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vettenuts
If I recall correctly, you were wondering if your exhaust may be hurting you a bit with you last setup as well.
Well Actually if anything I think it could just be the cats. I know I could gain at least 8-10 rwhp if I cut them. Cause then I am running the fm merge into a lm exhaust.But I have to keep it quiet around here.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
What is your exhaust setup? Numbers seem a bit weak, my non ported 243 heads with a custom 224 cam is around 430 rwhp with my new intake and underdrive pulley.
I'm glad that the OP is happy with his numbers but i'm with NITROUSED383.
For a 6-speed the numbers are a little low. For top of the line heads and intake you should be making somewhere close to 415 to 420 rwtq. Worry more about your TQ and your HP will take care of itself. With that heads/cam combo you should be making more TQ for sure. Especially since you have a good exhaust. I've seen that cam make similar numbers with just the cam and stock unported 241 heads plus all the popular bolt-ons. I hate to see you just throwing cams at your setup until you reach 400+rwtq. By adding 230 or bigger cams you're going to loose even more low end TQ. And you don't want that i'm sure, unless you want a high revving motor. I've also seen plenty of stock LS6 heads with a old B1 cam or a TR224 cam setups make well over 400rwtq with about 425rwhp and with a LS6 intake. I've only seen that intake make more on a dyno but at the track it doesn't seem to lower that many peoples ET's. So i'm not sure what could help raise your power, or TQ alittle more. Good luck with your setup.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
I'm glad that the OP is happy with his numbers but i'm with NITROUSED383.
For a 6-speed the numbers are a little low. For top of the line heads and intake you should be making somewhere close to 415 to 420 rwtq. Worry more about your TQ and your HP will take care of itself. With that heads/cam combo you should be making more TQ for sure. Especially since you have a good exhaust. I've seen that cam make similar numbers with just the cam and stock unported 241 heads plus all the popular bolt-ons. I hate to see you just throwing cams at your setup until you reach 400+rwtq. By adding 230 or bigger cams you're going to loose even more low end TQ. And you don't want that i'm sure, unless you want a high revving motor. I've also seen plenty of stock LS6 heads with a old B1 cam or a TR224 cam setups make well over 400rwtq with about 425rwhp and with a LS6 intake. I've only seen that intake make more on a dyno but at the track it doesn't seem to lower that many peoples ET's. So i'm not sure what could help raise your power, or TQ alittle more. Good luck with your setup.
I dont even have that car anymore I bought a vette LS3 Photo in my sig.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Guys,

My original combination that made 475 RWHP (on a half dozen different dyno's) was very optimized and built by a pro....don't think for a minute it doesn't make a difference because details matter, especially when we are discussing high performance engine assembly (and alot of time perfecting the tune).

To clarify a few things my former 346 package did have all the trimmings (EWP, UDP, lightweight clutch, reasonably lightweight tires/rims) but the heads were box stock 205's.

I also ported the intake....and while it all reads the same glancing over various peoples builds (referring to a "ported FAST"), the execution of the work and the actual part itself can look and work completely different.

To clarify the massaging.....when I provide a customer with a brand new set of heads loaded with all the upgrades (spring upgrade, cc and milling, etc.) and the additional hand porting it normally costs in the $3100 - $3500 range for the complete turn-key assemblies, but massaging a set of used heads is about $1000. For the extra power most have seen from this work (about 15 RWHP and big gains under the curve), its a reasonably cost effective upgrade all things considered. Swap to a ported 90 set-up and your looking at close to 2K when the smoke clears for a gain of typically 20....maybe 25 RWHP. The "Mamofied" 205's offers more ponies for the dollar.

Just felt the need to clarify a few things in this thread....if any of you have any specific questions related to your own package feel free to shoot me a PM or pick up the phone and say hello. OP....if your interested in having me rework your heads feel free to get in touch and we can discuss it. Most everyone I have helped with that work has had well above average results for stock displacement combinations to hard running 402 and 416 combinations as well.

Thanks,
Tony

Tony,
You know what they say about dyno numbers? Other than CA, around the country what does the average guy run with your heads and a medium cam like the 224/228 cam run? And why does a top end head need an expensive ported FAST intake that most of the post i've seen don't really lower ET's?
There are cars running LS6 intakes with ported LS1 heads that flow less and run good ET's at the track. Ain't that what people pay for? Thats the true test of a combo, not a dyno that can be manipulated. The quickest cars on this site run other than AFR heads. For the cost of the AFR's why don't the owners post their times? They posted before the head swap, but they claim they haven't been back to the track to see what they gained for the extra $2,300 plus over $1,000 for a ported FAST intake and TB. Something sounds wrong. At the track in my area aren't that impressive with the AFR's unless way more money spent to get the combo to run right. In my opinion i don't see it. Cars ran better 10 years ago with lower parts. And lower cost.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tony,
You know what they say about dyno numbers? Other than CA, around the country what does the average guy run with your heads and a medium cam like the 224/228 cam run? And why does a top end head need an expensive ported FAST intake that most of the post i've seen don't really lower ET's?
There are cars running LS6 intakes with ported LS1 heads that flow less and run good ET's at the track. Ain't that what people pay for? Thats the true test of a combo, not a dyno that can be manipulated. The quickest cars on this site run other than AFR heads. For the cost of the AFR's why don't the owners post their times? They posted before the head swap, but they claim they haven't been back to the track to see what they gained for the extra $2,300 plus over $1,000 for a ported FAST intake and TB. Something sounds wrong. At the track in my area aren't that impressive with the AFR's unless way more money spent to get the combo to run right. In my opinion i don't see it. Cars ran better 10 years ago with lower parts. And lower cost.
Good Point, If I had to do it over again I would not Buy the AFR heads, I sold the car and bought an LS3 Vette. Best Investment so far!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I see that you are in Florida. What was the temp on the dyno? Are those numbers corrected?
Old 08-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Restricted User

Yea his heads (runners) were massaged. An xtra $3 grand.
Tony,
There are alot more variable at the track than on the dyno. You DA, traction, power under the curve, proper stall, and driver just to name a few off the top of my head. I do agree that a dyno sheet and a quarter will buy you a gumball. Just saying that it's tough to compare given all the variables. A car that isn't done, can work great on a dyno but not on the track.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I see that you are in Florida. What was the temp on the dyno? Are those numbers corrected?
Port St Lucie. I sold the car to someone in Ft auderdale when I bought the vette. The car made 430 rwhp SAE and 400 TQ. It was fast just needed to hook up. Still had stock 10 bolt attatched.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Restricted User

Port St Lucie. I sold the car to someone in Ft auderdale when I bought the vette. The car made 430 rwhp SAE and 400 TQ. It was fast just needed to hook up. Still had stock 10 bolt attatched.
You're right up the road. Congrats on the new purchase.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
You're right up the road. Congrats on the new purchase.
Thanks I took a beating on the trade but o well. My Brother also bought an 08 c6 automatic. As soon as I get my House I am goin to Mod this car.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think of my numbers stock AFR 205 Heads?