Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Anyone have a e85 n/a Before and After dyno sheet

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are many articles about the benefits of e85. Im no expert but I have been following and spent a lot of time reading, and may invest in an ethanol company. Now I am not a green freak or are concerned with burning fossil fuels. I like fire breathing monsters that rip off single digit quarter miles. Thats why I have been looking into ethanol. For the street or track you cant beat the price. 105+ or - octane (blend does vary) so you set stoich on the safe side.
Just like these guys said your not going to see much gain on a stock engine designed to run on 87 or 93. I have chosen to go with a FI set up to run 2 tunes one 93 one e85 with a boost controller to adjust static compression for adjustability for detonation. I think this is the best street setup to benefit from e85, because if you cant find e85 or long trip you switch ecu's adjust the boost and your in business. I tried not to get to technical. Remember no adjustment is a high compression engine for the street if no e85 is available where your traveling to.
All the flex fuel cars on the road today are made to run on 87 so putting 105 in your car has no benefit (ethanol or gas). Unless you have the ability to adjust the static compression. There has been a few examples of this with incredible results. Check out www.ricardo.com You may have heard of them. They developed the 7 speed for the veyron as well as EDBI (ethanol boosted direct injection). Making duramax power with a 3.2L gm engine on twin turbos.
I also considered weather ethanol will stick around this time. How ever there is alot of ground breaking technology coming out. I think 2 witch I would think anyone would think is pretty cool. 1st www.microfueler.com an at home machine that allows you to make ethanol at home. If theres a dealer in you area ( most likely not) they will deliver feed stock to make ethanol ( can be old beer, wine, by products of manufacturing either, or many other product). The machine extracts the alcohol out and you have a gas pump on the from of the machine a you pump your own e100 (roughly 113 octane). However there are other issues with running e100. such as cold starts and water absorbing in it. Thats why e85 was picked to mass produce.
The second is ground breaking technology by algenol biofuels ( www.algenolbiofuels.com ). Ethanol made from alge. The good part to shut up the green people is ethanol produces less co2, second alge exchanges co2 to make ethanol so it cleans the air as it grows. Alge make more oxegen than all plant combined. All it needs is salt water and sun. They have a plant in mexico, one gong in texas,and florida. Corn makes just under 400 gallons an acre per year, sugar cain make 900 APR (brazil), and alge makes 10,000 gallons APR (might achieve 20,000 gallons by 2011) They pump co2 into the tanks to excel growth. We are not talking about food cost problems any more. I know a lot of guys hate it cause they way it has been made in the past. This is new. I know a little off topic, but anyone interested in an e85 forum might be interested.
I hope some experts can chime in give us some more input. Other interesting site I have found are:
www.change2e85.com (flex fuel module changes algorythms to run any mix)
www.aquapulser.com (super high intensity plasma spark ignition) ? on this one

I would love to see some dyno results of e85 builds as well. I hope you guys find some of this info helpful.

Warning some of these website have some global warming garbage, but there is some good things in there. Im sick of giving the punjabs my money for oil.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what do you have to change,on a 2002 TA,to run E85,it 383 11.1 motor I want to put a turbo on.thanks
Old 08-08-2010, 02:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was looking into doing this for NA, l still might. I need to get the heads to 50cc's for a stock shortblock. Would get them welded up ($$$ + machine work$$$), not gona do it on a set Im setting up right now.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have though about this for my new build in my sig. the cam will change this week to .780" and around 300* but the e85 can be a pain i would just do a 91 and race gas mixture.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a e85 n/a Before and After dyno sheet