Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Anyone have a e85 n/a Before and After dyno sheet

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone have a e85 n/a Before and After dyno sheet

Looking for a Before and After e85 dyno sheet showing the gains on a na set-up.
I've been hearing a lot of good thing about switching over to e85.
Just looking to view a few dyno sheets.
How much compression can it support na?
Bob
Old 06-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SlickVert
Looking for a Before and After e85 dyno sheet showing the gains on a na set-up.
I've been hearing a lot of good thing about switching over to e85.
Just looking to view a few dyno sheets.
How much compression can it support na?
Bob
My tune is 3 weeks out. Pushing the stock bottom end limits with ptv and fly cut depth, sitting at 12-1. It will also be an SD tune. I'll post the dyno sheeet when it's done.

I think I do remember a stock LS2 vette that they converted to e85 with no other changes ended up gaining about 15 rwhp.

The biggest hassle with e85 in a DD is availability.. AND you need to carry a tester to make sure the blend is right. There are 3 e85 blends and if you run the low blend on a high blend tune it's like putting 87 octane in and you'll blow your **** up.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
My tune is 3 weeks out. Pushing the stock bottom end limits with ptv and fly cut depth, sitting at 12-1. It will also be an SD tune. I'll post the dyno sheeet when it's done.

I think I do remember a stock LS2 vette that they converted to e85 with no other changes ended up gaining about 15 rwhp.

The biggest hassle with e85 in a DD is availability.. AND you need to carry a tester to make sure the blend is right. There are 3 e85 blends and if you run the low blend on a high blend tune it's like putting 87 octane in and you'll blow your **** up.
Good info, I'll look forward to your dyno #.
Were can you get and what is the name of the e85 tester you refer to.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Banned

http://v8muscle.net/E85dyno.html

This Guy did it on a pretty stock Z06.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I may look into this now. i only drive my t.a on weekends and e85 is right down the road 1mi from my place.
SLICKVERT-Is the only way to know the quality of fuel is to test it? they don't tell the rating on the e85 pump?

Last edited by mike c.; 06-22-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black

I think there was a test in GM High-Tech magazine on the LS2. It gained 6rwhp
Old 06-22-2010, 06:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6hp is not worth the cash to do it.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

from tuned on gas to tuned on e85 the gains are minimal, 4-6 hp at peak and 6-9 ft lbs. I have done it a couple hundred times. It doesnt matter what the blend is (again done this MANY times) N/A is minimal gains, large vs. pump gas on forced induction. We have run alot of motors north of 13:1, up to 16:1 actually, although that is the limit (14.5ish would be about the edge of comfort)
Old 06-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rubbersidedown
from tuned on gas to tuned on e85 the gains are minimal, 4-6 hp at peak and 6-9 ft lbs. I have done it a couple hundred times. It doesnt matter what the blend is (again done this MANY times) N/A is minimal gains, large vs. pump gas on forced induction. We have run alot of motors north of 13:1, up to 16:1 actually, although that is the limit (14.5ish would be about the edge of comfort)
When your choices are much more expensive 100+ octane or having to lower your compression and timing for 93 on a N/A car, e85 is worth more than 4-6 and 6-9

And it absolutely DOES matter what the blend is. It's the reason some tuners won't tune e85. In fact a sponsor here told me that they won't do it because those guys blowing up their cars without testing the blend will reflect bad on their business.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

When your choices are much more expensive 100+ octane or having to lower your compression and timing for 93 on a N/A car, e85 is worth more than 4-6 and 6-9

And it absolutely DOES matter what the blend is. It's the reason some tuners won't tune e85. In fact a sponsor here told me that they won't do it because those guys blowing up their cars without testing the blend will reflect bad on their business.
I believe OP asked a comparo vs pump gas, and I stand by my statements. If it is high compression (above 11.8-12 or so) the gains go up in an exponential manner.

No, it really DOESNT matter (very little anyway) what the blend is. I have guys running low 8s for 3 plus YEARS on PUMP E85 (they dont even check it any more) I've made over 1500 to the tire with multiple cars for a number of years now (started getting popular in 2007) If you run the ragged edge with your tune up you can blow **** up, I dont care what fuel you run. A good tuner that has experience with e85 will tell you the same, not someone who reads the internet. I've run 30-40 plus pounds of boost of big dollar engines and dont think twice about getting fuel from the same gas station I've been buying it from since I started playing with it in 2005-6. I have tested specific gravity, tested with the kent-moore tool I own (since 07) and sent it in for lab testing as well.

If you want real world results and not theory, this is what I have experienced time and time again. If you have a car that it would make a difference on, I would suspect you would not be calling a tuner that was a sponsor, you would ask your crew chief of your top fuel program. There is differences in the blend, but not relavant at the level 98% of the people of this website are at.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:21 PM
7 Second Club

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Mild heads/cam GTO with back to back dynos same day within 20 minutes of each other.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Banned

I believe OP asked a comparo vs pump gas, and I stand by my statements. If it is high compression (above 11.8-12 or so) the gains go up in an exponential manner.

No, it really DOESNT matter (very little anyway) what the blend is. I have guys running low 8s for 3 plus YEARS on PUMP E85 (they dont even check it any more) I've made over 1500 to the tire with multiple cars for a number of years now (started getting popular in 2007) If you run the ragged edge with your tune up you can blow **** up, I dont care what fuel you run. A good tuner that has experience with e85 will tell you the same, not someone who reads the internet. I've run 30-40 plus pounds of boost of big dollar engines and dont think twice about getting fuel from the same gas station I've been buying it from since I started playing with it in 2005-6. I have tested specific gravity, tested with the kent-moore tool I own (since 07) and sent it in for lab testing as well.

If you want real world results and not theory, this is what I have experienced time and time again. If you have a car that it would make a difference on, I would suspect you would not be calling a tuner that was a sponsor, you would ask your crew chief of your top fuel program. There is differences in the blend, but not relavant at the level 98% of the people of this website are at.
Where are you located? This might be a regional thing? I have some real world experience but we don't race in the winter when our stations get class 3 blend (e70) and all the people in the area who tune e85 around chicago warn people not to run on that. Only the blend 2 or blend 1.

http://www.e85mustangs.com/regions123.html
Old 06-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

I'm in south Dakota. I have spent quite a bit of time in Illinois with our dyno, as well as spent time on other dynos in illinois doing dyno tuning for people that had us come to tune as well as 5.o mustang magazine tech article done at Anderson ford. E70 is still 101 octane... If you blow your **** up by changing blends on an n/a motor, you should find a different tuner.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very interesting thread...might have to make the switch next year...
Old 06-27-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMO you cant beat 105octane fuel for $2.19 a gallon. and if you're worried about winter blends my suggestion is buy a winter beater and keep the hot rod out of the snow since the tracks are closed anyway.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tracks are open till late November here and open in march...plus those are the best times to race...
Old 07-08-2010, 02:14 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for all the good info. I have a few more questions

Where can I get a kit to test e85 octane?
Do you need to change to a different heat range spark plug?
Is there a way to increase the octane of the fuel for safety for those with high compression?
Old 07-11-2010, 07:49 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

I'd listen to this guy.........i think he knows just a tad bit about E85! http://www.dynotuneusa.com/
Old 07-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Banned

I'm in south Dakota. I have spent quite a bit of time in Illinois with our dyno, as well as spent time on other dynos in illinois doing dyno tuning for people that had us come to tune as well as 5.o mustang magazine tech article done at Anderson ford. E70 is still 101 octane... If you blow your **** up by changing blends on an n/a motor, you should find a different tuner.
Had a talk with my tuner this morning before I dropped the car off. He verified what you said, that it would be fine on the winter blend, that it is a little lower octane and it will be a little richer, but it should be offset by the denser air in the winter.

I apologize and retract my info as related to a 12-1 N/A 346. You are right about the E70.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

wow a lot of great info! you guys got me thinkin!

Quick Reply: Anyone have a e85 n/a Before and After dyno sheet