Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

&%#$/<&%#Damn cam retainer plate screws......

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1,004 Likes on 715 Posts

Default &%#$/<&%#Damn cam retainer plate screws......

I've had problems with these before. But never like this! I got 2 of them out on drivers side. But the other %@#@#$%#$ side is a royal PITA. I've learned that my acetylene torch is my friend. But it didn't help on the last 2. Several years back, before I tried heat, I broke an M5 drive bit on some allen head flat heads. Heat fixed that issue. These are #40 Torx. I hope the ME who designed the newer style plate has to remove his own retainer plate screws. I tried the torch and a cold chisel. Just ruined the screw. I have an impact driver and a BFH. HATE to hit on the cast aluminum like that. It may work on one of the remaining screws, but the chiseled head is pretty much ruined. A few Benjamins for a welder?? NEVER had this problem to this degree before. I'd like to know why GM reinvented the wheel by changing this design from the original LS1 hex head screw design? WTF were they thinking??! It worked great, so they fixed it. Yeah.....

Last edited by grinder11; Yesterday at 09:11 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,356 Posts

WTF..did somebody use Loctite 270 on them?
Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
WTF..did somebody use Loctite 270 on them?
Nope. 242 blue. "Removable." I have 1 of the 2 that still have a good head. Used a BFH and the impact. It won't budge. Called a mobile welder, he's on the way. Another $200 bite the dust....Or my ***!!
Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Like my buds at work said "Dont ever use Loctite on flat head screws." Now I finally get it.....
Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Maybe somebody up there doesn't like me or my LS7, LOL! Mobile welder got here, and had to use his Miller generator, because my two 220v circuits in the garage are hard wired. 1 to the compressor, the other to the 2 post lift. Got everything set up and ready, and he started the generator. It ran for several minutes, and stalled! We went out to check it out. The muffler outlet broke off, filling the enclosure with hot exhaust gasses. The thermal protector shut it down. So, we're done for the day!!! Guy is certified and has good equipment. He welds on military stuff for the U.S. Government. **** happens. So I'm dead in the water until at least Friday. DOHHH!!!!!!!
Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,504 Likes on 2,160 Posts

I’ve had to weld nuts on the face of those heads in the last few engines I’ve had in here. Sucks. Keep your head up Mike, your a trooper.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: &%#$/<&%#Damn cam retainer plate screws......