Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Magnum Shifter Leak

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 167 Likes on 128 Posts

Default T56 Magnum Shifter Leak

I'm posting this helping my neighbor out, guy has been through several shifters and still the same problem.

I have been all over the internet myself and have seen this is a very common thing with running a shifter mounted in the forward positon on the Tailshaft. The Reverse Gear slings fluid literally up the Shifter because the Shaft is located directly above it.

My thought is a deflector shield above the Reverse Gear below the Shift Rail part where the Shifter goes into. Has anyone seen anything like that out there before I fab up something on my own. Seems like a pretty major design fail on Tremec, but then again that's your typical engineers that see it on a computer and don't know how **** in real life works.
Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 190 Likes on 134 Posts

Seems like Tick has something similar to what you're describing. Might be worth a look.
Old Today, 07:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 156 Likes on 108 Posts

https://www.tickperformance.com/6-bo...er-shroud-kit/
Old Today, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

is this a t56 magnum 98-02 f body thing? i cant tell where you or tick mean for where the shifter is located.
Old Today, 10:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 846 Likes on 647 Posts

Pretty sure he's referring to the GTO mounting position.
Old Today, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 156 Likes on 108 Posts

Do you have a standard magnum, magnum xl, or a magnum f trans?
The shroud is for the standard magnum with a 6 bolt shifter base. In this pic the shifter is in the rear position. It can be flipped to put the shifter forward 3” or so.

Old Today, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

The 6 bolt regular T56 Magnum cast shifter is known for leaking.... so you need to replace it with another brand.
The T56 magnum F 4 bolt unit is not known to leak... clean the area with brake cleaner and diagnose where it is leaking from.
Old Today, 04:54 PM
11 Second Club

That exact thing is in the car right now and it's absolutely worthless, so people make note of that.

Originally Posted by bthomas
Do you have a standard magnum, magnum xl, or a magnum f trans?
The shroud is for the standard magnum with a 6 bolt shifter base. In this pic the shifter is in the rear position. It can be flipped to put the shifter forward 3” or so.

Exactly that, just in the forward position because of the car it's in, In my very first post I mentioned what I think the exact cause is.

Originally Posted by gnx7
The 6 bolt regular T56 Magnum cast shifter is known for leaking.... so you need to replace it with another brand.
The T56 magnum F 4 bolt unit is not known to leak... clean the area with brake cleaner and diagnose where it is leaking from.
Fluid comes up through the Shifter, literally up through it, no diagnosis needed. So far 4 different shifters in the car and same problems out of all 4.

Old Today, 06:42 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Any reason the Tick Perf. piece can't be longer at the rear?

Maybe longer, and arched, with tabs that bend down a little.

If you consider line of sight from the Rev. gear upwards, there should be a way to prevent the spray from reaching the shifter underside.

It seems static mounted, so tabs that largely close the casting voids would seem to help too.
Old Today, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Line of sight is looking straight down through the Isolator Bushing and seeing the Reverse Gear.

I'm going to do you a favor and quote my original post, it seems you haven't read it.

Originally Posted by the_merv
My thought is a deflector shield above the Reverse Gear below the Shift Rail part where the Shifter goes into. Has anyone seen anything like that out there before I fab up something on my own. Seems like a pretty major design fail on Tremec, but then again that's your typical engineers that see it on a computer and don't know how **** in real life works.
I'll stand behind the above, and maybe what we end up doing to try it. I have the ability and resources to fab something like that up.

Quick Reply: T56 Magnum Shifter Leak