Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Dyno, Bolt Ons Only!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dyno, Bolt Ons Only!!!

Well i decided to go back to the same dyno and get my car put back on the dyno again to see what the LT's, ORY, Re Tune and SSRA did. After all that i went from 336 RWHP and 349 RWTQ to 350 RWHP and 355 RWTQ so i only gained 14 RWHP and 5 RWTQ and nothing really picked up in the low or mid range just picked up power up top from the graph. He couldnt print the graph, printer wasnt working but he told me he will email it to me and i took a vid of it.

Once i get home ill put it up. My A/F was about 13.1, around there up top but liked it rich the richer run gave me better numbers. The guy told me if i had a bit more fuel up top i wouldve pulled a bit better but who knows maybe 5hp better if that. I was a bit disappointed at the numbers and was expecting higher but the graph showed the line going up smoothly with no hick ups and the A/F isnt bad at all just needs a bit more fuel up top.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

One question, what was the temp & humidity differences from the first time and this time?

Those aren't bad numbers for what you have. They are also great base items for future mods such as heads, cam (both) & intake.

I take it this was a Dynojet? If a Mustang dyno you should have NO complaints.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

350rwhp boltons only he should have no complaints anyway
Old 07-23-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

last time was about 68 degrees with very low humidity. This time it was about 77 degrees with high humidity its not far from the beach and the marine layer was thick. I did put the car on the dyno right away and did not let it cool but i guess it was good thing because the hotter the car ran the richer it got so it pulled better numbers this time around. The last time i went there meaning before my Lt's, ory and ssra the hotter the car got the lower the numbers went which was the exact opposite.

I also dont get this guys dynojet machine, one time i dynoed my camaro which was my 93Z28 and pulled 266rwhp and then went to a dyno day event a couple of months later on a dyna pack and pulled 278rwhp. Ive been to this dyno shop several times and i always get low numbers but to me they seem more accurate then getting some inflated number.

I cant get this image any bigger or clearer but one line which is the lower one is before the LT's, ORY and SSRA and the other which is the higher line is today dyno. As you can tell it only made a difference up top nothing in the mid or low end at all. The line is smoother in todays dyno although its hard to tell by that graph.

Last edited by karpetcm; 07-23-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

4.10 gears will eat up 5-10 hp/tq on the dyno, numbers are good and right where they should be for the mods you have done. Good job on staying consistent with the same dyno to track the gains.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Titanws6, i was told that by the guy who installed my gears as well he gave me an explanation as to why you lose power but i completely forgot. Im going to put the vidz up within the next few minutes.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

odd you didn't pick up anywhere but up top though
Old 07-23-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya very odd i was told you gain a good amount of torque and should feel it bottom end but i think its more so the tune. The car felt faster before getting the tune for the LT's, ORY and SSRA after i got it tuned for those mods it felt flat up top and felt i lost power low to mid as well but as the graph shows it stayed the same all the way till up top and then gained a little.

The top dyno number is from the last time i was there with no LT's, ORY or SSRA the other 3 runs below are from today. Its a comparison thats why the top one from last time was on the graph to see where it improved and didnt. I wish i never looked at it, lol.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One run my A/F was 13.64 the other was 13.53 and the best was 13.56. The 13.56 i pulled the 350 rwhp.The 13.09 was from my last dyno session before the LT's and the other mods.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

which brand LT and ORY was that.

350 seens to be good for bolt ons.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

OOOOO I saw this run on youtube .
Things to also check for :
1.Make sure there's no leaks.
2.you do have a 2.5 inch ypipe won't flow like a 3inch.
3.make sure the plugs are good ,I have e3's I don't care with nobody say I picked up something (power) from adding the E3's.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the shop did the vidio and posted there own vid on my car on youtube. I tried finding it but no luck. Ive changed the plugs at the time i changed the headers. The Ypipe connecting to the headers are not welded just with a clamp and as well as to the catback. Last time i checked underneath it seemed fine no big leaks or anything obvious.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

With the same mods, I make 344/355. Your numbers are fine.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

So long tubes make top end power right?
And mid tubes make low end?
Old 07-25-2010, 04:24 PM
12 Second Club

^Long tubes make power all around
Old 07-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Launching!

350rwhp from bolt-ons sounds right, what were you expecting??? maybe the dyno was "happy" the first time around but they look more realistic now. A lot of times your car will "feel" slower due to paranoia.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"So long tubes make top end power right?
And mid tubes make low end?"

I did an engine dyno test on a built SBC comparing a nice custom set of short tube headers that were actually going in the car and the engine dyno long tube headers. Both were 1 3/4" headers. Below peak torque the long tube headers were the best. Above peak torque and that was from 5000 rpm up to 6500 rpm there was only an average of 1.4hp difference favoring the long tube headers. Not much of a difference.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im only going to go off my own experience. I was expecting power everywhere and gained ZERO low or mid just top end. This is a side by side with before and after LT's. It could be the tune could have other variations but i could only go off what i have in front of me and i only gained top end. I need my A/F re adjusted because i was told by the guy who tuned it, its too lean and he was shooting for 12.7 and not 13.5 so part of that could be my MAF. Either way im not sad about the 350 RWHP now come to think of it but ill send the Computer back to him and have him do some adjustments. Also the first dyno at 336 RWHP before the LT's and ORY was done in colder weather with less humidity compared to what the dyno was just recently. So there are alot of things that can change the numbers. I really need to take it to a track and see what it can do and that will tell the real story.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by karpetcm
Im only going to go off my own experience. I was expecting power everywhere and gained ZERO low or mid just top end. This is a side by side with before and after LT's. It could be the tune could have other variations but i could only go off what i have in front of me and i only gained top end. I need my A/F re adjusted because i was told by the guy who tuned it, its too lean and he was shooting for 12.7 and not 13.5 so part of that could be my MAF. Either way im not sad about the 350 RWHP now come to think of it but ill send the Computer back to him and have him do some adjustments. Also the first dyno at 336 RWHP before the LT's and ORY was done in colder weather with less humidity compared to what the dyno was just recently. So there are alot of things that can change the numbers. I really need to take it to a track and see what it can do and that will tell the real story.
Mail order tunes are really good and I have heard good things of Frost, but they cannot always be on target. Sometimes best bet is to actually get a dyno tune so adjustments can be made right then and there. Might be why no change on the graph until top end. Besides the A/F, tune looks pretty good. I tried a mail order tune once and it didn't go well, there were hidden issues the dyno tune found, once fixed, it gave me just about the same numbers you have with the same mods.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Frost is really good and i would definitly recommend him for a mail order tune regardless. I think my car is a bit sensitive maybe due to several reasons. Im gonna send him the leanest run as he requested and have him tune off that. Not looking for more power but as long as the A/F is more on par id be happy because at higher speeds with the ram air it feels worse up top and doesnt pull very well. Dont know maybe its me but either way ill send it off to him and see what happens.