Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Broke the TA on the Dyno..

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke the TA on the Dyno..

Well monday took my car to get dynoed and as soon as it started everything was going bad. First pull car blew out all of PS oil and no idea where it came from just know that the PS reservoir was bone On the 2nd or 3rd pull he went WOT top of fourth gear and BOOM!! Tuner came out looking like he **** his pants. Parts went flying out from behind the car. Aftermath was broken tail housing on the stock t-56 tranny, broken ds along with u joints of course big ol hole by my back seats and a very unhappy me. The car only put out about 335/340tq as he was tuning it. Have no idea what went wrong. Car is basically bolt ons and 4.11 gears with 100 shot of nitrous that wasnt even on the car when it blew. Any ideas on what went wrong better yet on how to prevent this from happening next time...? Car is lowered with eibach sportlines had a stock ds 10 bolt rear end w/ 4.11s has boxed LCA, bilstein hd shocks. Haven't taken it apart yet bt by what I can see the tailhousing and DS are toast for sure. Not too sure about rear end but the car does roll fine. Was basically thinking of throwing another DS and tranny and maybe this a safety loop and go at it again but Idk i'm kinda sketchy on that approach.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

sucks...been there done that

first time my car was on the dyno it broke the tailhousing 2nd pull, fixed that and went on my way

finally went back for a new tune and first WOT pull it looked like a grenade went off...chunks of transmission, driveshaft, u joint, smoke, and fire went everywhere...transmission was a built 4l60e with less than 3000 miles on it and it wrecked the clutches, band, seperator plate, pan, case was busted in 3 places...lots of other stuff...knocked a hole in the floor and destroyed my duals

also ruined the pinion yoke

got a new HD driveshaft custom made and high speed balanced and checked my drive line angles and went back...got the tune finished on 1 pull and I got the hell out of there

CHECK EVERYTHING before you go back:

high speed balanced driveshaft
transmission mount
transmission operating angle
seats of yoke
pinion angle (make sure they are strapping the car by the axle tube and not pulling down on the body which could roll the rear up and worsen pinion angle)

fine tooth comb...I hate dynos...
Old 08-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Well I'm kinda a newb to this so I don't know much about pinion angles and all that. I do have a Poly trans mount with stock motor mounts. What do you mean by seat of the yoke? Like I said I'm kinda newb at this but I just dont wanna go breaking stuff again.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

where the caps sit in the yoke could be damaged allowing the driveshaft to move under the straps and cause vibration on the highway and such

I've never heard anything good about poly trans mounts especially with stock motor mounts but my car is a lot different than a fbody too so someone else should chime in on that

oh and worse yet after all that even with the new tune I only came away with a 345rwhp dyno sheet so I don't even get any cool bragging rights for the troubles haha
Old 08-04-2010, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

was your driveshaft aluminum? if so it was probably bent...the stock fbody driveshafts are **** from what I've seen

friend broke his at the track on street tires, his stock replacement has a mild bend, and another friend with a camaro has one thats mildly bent
Old 08-04-2010, 04:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a couple break in customers cars... One was in a transplant Chevelle - rearend locked up for some reason and broke the yoke... driveshaft hit the tunnel so hard that the remote for the dyno that was sitting on the console went by my head at about 90mph and scared the livin $hit outta me! Sounded like a bomb went off. The other one, the driveshaft came out from under the car and almost took a guy working in the shop off his feet... and then missed a very expensive Viper by a couple inches... only twice out of the hundreds of cars I've tuned - doesn't happen often, but it does happen.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:05 PM
11 Second Club

Guess I'm just unlucky

Twice on the dyno, twice it wiped out
Old 08-04-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stock motor mounts and a poly trans mount is a no no theres the problem ive herd serveral guys break there tail shafts with the poly only trans mount
Old 08-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Launching!

Well I'm guessing I will go back to the rubber mount. and yes it was the stock aluminum drive shaft. I'm thinking about replacing with an aftermarket heavy duty driveshaft any opinions on that? I'm having a hard time finding the tailshaft housing anyone got any ideas on where to find one?
Old 08-05-2010, 07:44 AM
11 Second Club

Not mentioned yet is the stock torque arm mounted to the transmission tailshaft.I was warned about broken tailshafts on the dyno by my tuner(Mikey at Rapidmotorsports) who saw it a couple times.When the car is strapped down on the dyno there is no give and a lot of stress up the torque arm.I got a crossmember mounted Spohn arm-wasn't sure I really needed it but with my luck I would have ended up like you.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lazyhomie
Well I'm guessing I will go back to the rubber mount. and yes it was the stock aluminum drive shaft. I'm thinking about replacing with an aftermarket heavy duty driveshaft any opinions on that? I'm having a hard time finding the tailshaft housing anyone got any ideas on where to find one?
transmission rebuilding shops often have them

check the classifieds here too, if that doesn't work you might have to call a big transmission supply place like OTC but it will be more expensive

automatic ones are $20-60 used, not sure about a t56...

for a driveshaft you might call Bloomingthal's in OKC, I got a great deal on my huge *** 56" long 3" diameter thick wall chromoly for $230 shipped
Old 08-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Internet Mechanic

What dyno?

Reason why I ask that you have dyno's that give a resistance to make measurements and maybe that was the reason. Simply the stock DS is nothing to write home about and has failed.

Just be happy it was not a C5 which is a whole different kettle of fish in terms of price to replace!!
Old 08-06-2010, 01:15 AM
Launching!

Mustang Dyno
Old 08-06-2010, 02:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wow man, that is crazy hope you get all that straightened out, would like you to put those gears to good use on the street. also with poly trans mount and rubber engine mounts, ive herad of guys cracking their bellhousings cuz one): the poly mount wont give hardly at all and 2): the stock engine mounts will so as the engine twists under torque the trans will stay put and crack. just get some solid motor mounts or polys and take advantage of the trans mount, will make for a more stable drivetrain.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:58 AM
TECH Resident

Had the same thing happen to me damn those 4l60e tailshaft's lol.....
Old 08-06-2010, 06:24 AM
Internet Mechanic

Mustang Dyno
Thats your answer. You stressed the driveline, something could have binded up and blamo.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:59 PM
Launching!

Well how can I prevent stressing the driveline? Most places around here use the mustang dyno...
Old 08-07-2010, 03:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mustang Dyno
No way. I've made over 750rwhp/tq on a mustang dyno using the stock t56, drive shaft and rear. Never had issues. Off the dyno, that's a different issue.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Exclamation Well known..

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
was your driveshaft aluminum? if so it was probably bent...the stock fbody driveshafts are **** from what I've seen

friend broke his at the track on street tires, his stock replacement has a mild bend, and another friend with a camaro has one thats mildly bent
d/s builder that I use, reports that 90% of the stock f-body shafts he gets w/ vibration complaints, are bent!
Repeated revs well past the critical speed of the shaft, will put unreal stresses on it. Stress will be concentrated at the middle of the shaft, resulting in whipping...adios!
Old 08-12-2010, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive heard bad things about poly trans mounts with stock motor mounts.

But look at the bright side, at least it happened on the dyno, not driving down the street, or worse, doing 100+ mph.