Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

My first dyno...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Sam... point the obvious eh?
On a lighter note. I bought the car 3 weeks ago, it had 55,6xx miles on it. It now has 56,xxx miles. I changed the oil. Thats it. The transmission went out in the car last night, and sounds like the rear of the bell housing is about to fall off. Thank god for the warranty to 65k miles.... But anyhow, while it's in the shop I'm going to see what they can do for check-up items on the car. I'm sure the plugs are going to be fouled and the timing seems to be off a couple degrees. But eh. I don't drive my car hard all the time, FYI. If I want to drive hard check car 2 in my sig. kthx..
Thanks for the helpful hints guys.. trying it next week once it's out of the shop .
-Garrett
Old 02-08-2004, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

timing can't be off mate. it's 100 % Ecu controlled. You could have a bad plug thats misfiring. If you had efilive v6 you could go for a run and log misfires and it would probably show bright as day on what cylinders.

Do the usual tune up, plugs, wires, maybe some top end cleaner. I spose if your tranny was whack perhaps that could throw off the dyno too but you'd feel surges like that. I was just trying to help a bro. I've tuned a fair bit of cars in my life and if i saw that i'd be like whoa, time to back up off the shiz and put my cup down.

Have the guys fixing the car at the dealer put the tech2 on it and see whats going on. it's about time for plugs, and it could be something lame like a plug wire come loose But its something like that dyno that would be putting a world of hurt on the motor sorry if i upset you. I'm sure they'll find the problem.

If not get a buddy around your neck of the woods to bust out the logger and see whats really going on. If you were in atlanta, i'd be all bout lending out my laptop and efilive 6 to help a bro figure out whats wrong. Can't pay the man to do everything, or we'd end up going broke.

But if you got a warranty, by all means use it
Old 02-08-2004, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

thx sam . Yeah no buddies are ls1 guys.. their all 9 sec fox body froots =p. Anyhow.. hopefully this will all get figured out next week.. I hate new cars. *sigh*
Old 02-08-2004, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

well you got a mission thats for sure, 9 sec fox bodies are not joke lo.

But you got a car that looks hella cooler than any fox body. Put some clear corners on her and pick up some $500 (17x9.5,17x11) Zr-1's and you'll be pimpin'.

check out ebay search "AFS camaro zr-1" "camaro zr1" for some hot prices if you know how to bid right

check out hptuners.com they are selling shortly a tuner and logger in one for $499. You can tweak your motor and log for issues in one package. I might have to go sell my efilive to buy this cool product
Old 02-08-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Right on, yeah I can get the chromed z06 10 spokes for 450+my current alloys, so... thats the next step, but I have to figure out this problem first. I can't get top end cleaner in california, it's banned from here. Anyone wanna buy me a bottle and ship it to me? =p ha. Yeah, the next steps are after finished. NKG55's, z06 rims, chip, 85mm TB, maybe ftra... *shrugs* Should be done with all of that in a month or two.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

you dont need a TB dude. Stock TB will do well over 400whp. waste of money.

If you wanna do anything, port your own TB, its free and will give you a mystery 1-3whp
Old 02-08-2004, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

how do I port it myself..? o.O
Old 02-08-2004, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Start at the basics plugs, wires, fuel filter. If you ever do take the intake off change out the knock sensors the 98 and 99's have a rep for giving false KR and cutting your timing, were all here to help.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:59 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

where in so cal are you? if after the tune up things are still messed up i'll log some efi data for you.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ahh cool, I'm in Orange county, where in SD are you? I have grandparents off the morning ridge road in El cajon (Non-ghetto...) and my other grandma used to live in La Mesa. I used to race at Kerney Villa rd a while back so I'm pretty familiar with the area. Would be nice to even MEET another guy with an LS1 around me. Seems everyone has a 5.slow.. *sigh* [most are 5.fast :o( Cobras]

Know how to change the plugs? I'd be willing to buy ya lunch and dinner, as well as pay for your time, that would save me 120 bucks on labor.. =/. LMK if your interested. I'd be willing to compensate =p.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:48 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

non ghetto . im in mira mesa. i know how to change plugs, never done it on a stock manifold car, i have long tubes but plugs arent that hard.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Let me know, I would LOVE to get around that 120 labor charge... I'm sure it will be easier than what your used to.. *i think..?* Anyhow. I take my car in on Monday morning so I'll let you know. If you want to help I would FOR SURE take care of ya .
Thanks in advance for the help-even up til now.
-Garrett
Old 02-08-2004, 08:12 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

let me know whats up after you get he car back. my scheduel is a bit tight but tuesday and thursday i have time early from about 11:30 to 2:30 and all day fridays to help you out with what you need. plugs, intake, data logging, ect.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

Probably a stupid but somewhat related question: Why does everyone ask if it's an A4 or M6 when it gets dynoed? Shouldn't they both have the same HP? If not, why?
Old 02-09-2004, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

a4's with verters can be dyno'd locked or unlocked. Unlocked is more like launching off the line. The verter can release the stored energy when you flash it and unleash a world of torque that an m6 doesn't really have.

The a4 eats more hp up due to the inefficiency (unlocked) and mass of parts.

So the same motor on an A4 will lose hp versus the m6, however when a torque converter is added to the equation, launch potential turns the table. take a look at my dyno. it has quite a bit more torque than an m6 with the same mods would have. The M6 would outrun me on a roll, but from a dig with traction, hands down an A4 would kick the best M6 drivers' ***. And all on a 10 bolt. Lotta A4 dudes running stock 10 bolts with amazing 1/4 mile times without blowing them up.

Probably has to do with less shock and pre-loading (brake-standing on launch) the a4 can do, the m6 maybe if you smoke the **** out of the clutch (bad).
Old 02-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Nice numbers, considering everything.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Was there an earthquake when you made that pull?

Is there any chance of an out of balance wheel could cause this?
Old 02-10-2004, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

My first dyno when my car was stock was a little like that, no where near as bad but it had noticeable ripples up top. Change your plugs first and see what happens, it helped mine out. Also this may seem stupid but check/change your air filter and fuel filter. Most people forget about the fuel filter and more than likely it's the factory one still on there. Just some more cheap idea's your way. Your right in there for hp tho, my car had a blowmaster muffler and a lid with no freemods done at the time and dyno'ed 306/318.

-Sly
Old 02-10-2004, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

go find a local buddy with efilive and have them do some logs at wot (carefully). You'd be amazed at how sensitive the KR system is and being able to log all 8 cylinder misfires is quite handy you'll see that even a low mileage nearly stock car will throw some misfires but if one cylinder is out of thwack it'll show up like a sore thumb.

efilive6.3 is really the shiznit. Can't wait to see what their tuning software has to offer. hopefully a nice incentive upgrade price