Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

01 ss afr 205 and 224/228 dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by slimcracka
Thanks Tony. And what head gasket do u recommend with this just a cosmetics .040 gasket? And thanks again everyone for the help.

Btw Tony. What gains could I see going from out of the box 205s with a stock headgasket to a .040 and milling to 61cc?
About 6-12 rwhp. It all adds up. Also get an ewp if you dont already have one. If you goin to a .040 gasket mill the heads to around 62cc. But now you are goin to have to always use 93 octane gas.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slimcracka
Thanks Tony. And what head gasket do u recommend with this just a cosmetics .040 gasket? And thanks again everyone for the help.

Btw Tony. What gains could I see going from out of the box 205s with a stock headgasket to a .040 and milling to 61cc?
Cosmetics....I've always gotten a chuckle over that one

(It's Cometic actually!)

The better quench and higher CR is at least 10 HP....I would say 10-15 depending on the rest of the components....not to mention better fuel economy as well....not a bad deal....well worth the time and money to make it happen.

-Tony
Old 02-02-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol i was on my cell and it autocorrected me to that haha owell..

yeah i dont think theres any really good trust worthy shops around here that i would trust to do the mill work so ill just leave them how they are, i would love to have them milled and get the perfect receipt as u say tony. if theres happens to be an issue with the heads to where i need to send them to u then yes ill have yall do the machine work. but this is my only vehicle so down time will be an issue. and i know it all adds up i would like to get this mess resolved and add a 92/92 and a pulley..
Old 02-02-2011, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Was thinking the same thing.....LOL

And what are the two common denominators in both situations??

Customers buying used unknown merchandise....buyer beware folks....buying second hand always comes with it's risks as others have touched on.

Not to mention who knows what the issue is here? (heads, bad tune, bad shortblock, an unknown parasite in the driveline....could be a zillion things).

The last situation we all read about, even the numbers that were supposedly "disappointing" were good IMO with 450+ to the tire and a 220's cam not optimized/spec'ed properly for AFR's, unported FAST and unported TB, etc. We just make it alot better dialing in the combo turning an "OK" combination it into an above average performer with a much stronger power curve from bottom to top.
-Tony
Here we go again.Lol. My advice is just follow Tony's directions and you will be happy in the end.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol i read that thread a while back...glad it worked out for u, my issue is different than urs.. u had good power i dont hahaha
Old 02-03-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by corvet786c
If you goin to a .040 gasket mill the heads to around 62cc. But now you are goin to have to always use 93 octane gas.
That's not necessarily true. I run the .040" cometics with 62cc chambers with no knock on 91 octane. That's with 28 deg timing too. Maybe it depends on the quality of gas in your area.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:29 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When tuning the 205's you can run much more timing, another overlooked point with these cylinder heads.

An example is my near stock LS2, I had a battle with stock timing & KR. Right now I've changed to a TR6 plug worked with knock strategies in the tune & I'm able to run stock timing.

With my LS1 & 205's power improved as the timing was advanced, I stopped @ 30*.

All 91 Octane.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Quit eating meow mix and put a cam in that heads only car.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Buy the cam and I'll be glad to put it in. Some people are on a budget bud
Old 02-05-2011, 07:20 AM
10 Second Club

When I get it apart I'll fly cut the pistons with a air chisel and put the 255/265 cam in it I got here on the floor! Be a great daily driver cam! Might as well get out the cutoff wheel and mill the heads for him too!

I'll be helping the OP with the car. I'm gonna datalog the car first, then if that doesn't point to anything I'll pull all the valvetrain out and check geometry and valve wear, busted springs, etc. Then a compression test to see if a hole is busted. If all is good, we will pull the heads, replace lifters, and probably degree the camshaft to make sure it is straight.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John02SS
When I get it apart I'll fly cut the pistons with a air chisel and put the 255/265 cam in it I got here on the floor! Be a great daily driver cam! Might as well get out the cutoff wheel and mill the heads for him too!

I'll be helping the OP with the car. I'm gonna datalog the car first, then if that doesn't point to anything I'll pull all the valvetrain out and check geometry and valve wear, busted springs, etc. Then a compression test to see if a hole is busted. If all is good, we will pull the heads, replace lifters, and probably degree the camshaft to make sure it is straight.

I feel confident that if John can't get it straightened out then it can't be done. John is the man!
Old 02-05-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by John02SS

thanks john i heard u did the same thing to chris`s car hahaha...im sure ill need a rebuilt 6speed and rearend with that cam haha, thanks again with the help..the gaskets and lifters came in today so just let me know when ur ready to get those pretty hands dirty when were done ill def owe u one and ill take u on a mandate lol
Old 02-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Killer5.3
John is the man!
^^this^^
Old 02-15-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

"Might as well get out the cutoff wheel and mill the heads for him too!"

Ouch that would hurt. Might need better head gaskets to get it to seal.

Update???????
Old 02-16-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

got the parts in just waiting on john to have some free time.. as soon as we pull it down ill take pics and post info..im ready to get this thing fixed and running right.. its killin me haha
Old 02-17-2011, 10:09 PM
10 Second Club

I been really busy with work and buying a new house. Moving in this weekend, so after that we are ready to tear it down. Looking forward to seeing what the issue is.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks john..

ok update! i was looking at it today and found out that the throttle was only opening 80% at WOT so i fixed that and took it on a test drive. it seemed a lil bit faster but watching the wide band it was at about 13.8 so i stopped and didnt go wot anymore, i guess the tune in it was tuned at the 80% throttle and not its getting more air its running leaner.

another thing, i was looking under the hood while at idle with a flashlight and i seen some oil on the pass side motor mount, so i looked closer and i noticed it blowing oil bubbles out of the headgasket where that lil rivet is holding the pieces together on the stock gasket so i guess the gasket is blown or on its way out. a buddy of mine said when it was on the dyno that it was blowing smoke out the breather but it could of been coming out the gasket..i have plans on doing a compression test monday so that will tell the tell there, good thing i already have headgaskets here and lifters haha...
Old 02-19-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nothing wrong with Tony M. combo,alot of dyno testing.if the heads and valve train are new you will make 450+rwhp.used heads can have carbon on the seats from bad tuning,this will hurt compression .we learned this from another thread.if you buy any used head clean up the valve seats!talk to any engine guy or head porter ,they live in pain and some.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 901 Likes on 642 Posts

subscribed.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Gary. If u read the thread u would know this is a car I purchased used with parts already installed and they have less than 10k miles on them. The car was also dyno tuned at MTI. So no used head with carbon buildup nor any bad tune. Aswell as anyone saying anything bad about the head and cam setup I made this thread to pinpoint the issue rather it be broken parts or parts installed incorrectly. Thanks

Quick Reply: 01 ss afr 205 and 224/228 dyno results