Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Well built RHS502...What hp/tq expect??

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
The people I know with aggressive solid rollers seem to adjust theirs regularly. Like every few passes and sometimes every one if it seems to be off a little, but they have a few more cubes, run race fuel and make over 1200hp at over 9000 rpm.

I am not an expert, but I would expect you might get away with doing it every 500 hundred miles, that is if you plan to make 900hp NA on pump gas. I would imagine to get 900 hp on a low enough compression for pump gas will need a fair amount of rpm to do it, which means a very stable valve train.

You are the engine builder I guess you can correct me if what I have seen is incorrect, but I would think a lot of people would be running solid if it needed little maintenance. Including me.
here is my take. If you have to adjust the valves something is wearing out. In a roller engine you should have no wear after the valves are seated in. My 2500 hp 9000 rpm race engine got the valves adjusted once a year. If you have to adjust the valves-there is a problem and it needs to be fixxed.

one thing that most people forget is that pretty much every import made had a solid valvetrain.

somewhere along the line came this huge wives tail that solid valvetrains need adjusted at every stoplight.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
here is my take. If you have to adjust the valves something is wearing out. In a roller engine you should have no wear after the valves are seated in. My 2500 hp 9000 rpm race engine got the valves adjusted once a year. If you have to adjust the valves-there is a problem and it needs to be fixxed.

one thing that most people forget is that pretty much every import made had a solid valvetrain.

somewhere along the line came this huge wives tail that solid valvetrains need adjusted at every stoplight.
holy moly mother!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:19 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
holy moly mother!!!
that was my little 436 sbc. wait till you see my 672 bbc-add another 1000hp
Old 09-08-2011, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that was my little 436 sbc. wait till you see my 672 bbc-add another 1000hp
debut in 2025......
Old 09-08-2011, 08:54 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LPE 403
debut in 2025......
keep it up
Old 09-08-2011, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

debut in 2025......
I spied something that came to me on my phone
Old 09-08-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fireball
I spied something that came to me on my phone
Pictures, huh? Hmmmmm.....nope, dont believe it. I kinda have a picture of mine . Camera must only work on 2500hp+
Old 09-08-2011, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be some nice results whatever the case.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:38 AM
11 Second Club

Just one small correction.

Stage 7 made 671/632 and it was an ERL Superdeck 468ci built by HKE.

Unless he had a different dyno sheet than the one I have. Still amazing numbers on pump gas.
I happen to have the top end off that motor. His updated one will be even crazier.

Your right about the number & the block but still nasty N/A numbers.
I can't wait to see his new update

Care to share some info/graph fro your setup

Define "well built".....what cam, heads, intake?
I assume N/A?
Street?
Strip?
Pump?
E85?
What's it going in? Fbody, you're going to run into intake challenges. Vette....a different set of issues.

The heart of my 460 are the heads. I (we) think the intake will certainly let them do what they're supposed to do.

I can't freaking wait to see the final update from your beast..
Old 09-09-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Shawn:

How many passes would you make with your Solid Roller 2500hp engine before adjusting valve lash? Is there a way to equate that to street driving? Idling, sitting in traffic, street miles, etc?

I've been wanting to run solid roller on one of my street cars for a long time, but I've always gone hydraulic roller for fear of what Rampant described.

I'm liking what you are saying.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:41 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Stage7
Shawn:

How many passes would you make with your Solid Roller 2500hp engine before adjusting valve lash? Is there a way to equate that to street driving? Idling, sitting in traffic, street miles, etc?

I've been wanting to run solid roller on one of my street cars for a long time, but I've always gone hydraulic roller for fear of what Rampant described.

I'm liking what you are saying.
orginally we would check lash every race,then every other race,then it got to the point of checking them about every 50 passes.

I used to run solid roller cams in my street cars 15 years ago as there was no hyd roller stuff that would handle 650 lift at the time. Anyway I would check the valves every 10,000 miles or so. usually didn't need adjusted. Materials have gotten alot better since then, so there should be even less wear.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by venom ws7
I can't freaking wait to see the final update from your beast..
Thanks....getting a little anxious myself.

Shawn and company down there have had their share of challenges (and patience) with this build, but I have no doubt when it hits the dyno, not too many stones will be left unturned. Def gonna make some noise
Old 09-09-2011, 01:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by venom ws7
Care to share some info/graph for your setup

I have nothing compared to the mentioned motors but here is a link to how it sits now. I am working with Kooks right now to see if there is a way to have thier 2" mate up to thier catted true duals, hoping that will free up a few hp. I live in Canada and they are really strict on the emissions. I do have a status that allows 1981 levels, but must have all the original equipment installed. Though I did find a loop hole on the EGR. If I use 3 way cats I can delete it as long as it meets the 81 levels.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-my-455-a.html
Old 09-09-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

I am working with Kooks right now to see if there is a way to have thier 2" mate up to thier catted true duals, hoping that will free up a few hp.
Nothing to work with them about....just say, "do it like Brent's"
Old 09-09-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

My old man keeps telling me I would need to check the lash every 500 miles. I usually just laugh. Should only be a problem if the geometry is fudged up
Old 09-10-2011, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

I have nothing compared to the mentioned motors but here is a link to how it sits now. I am working with Kooks right now to see if there is a way to have thier 2" mate up to thier catted true duals, hoping that will free up a few hp. I live in Canada and they are really strict on the emissions. I do have a status that allows 1981 levels, but must have all the original equipment installed. Though I did find a loop hole on the EGR. If I use 3 way cats I can delete it as long as it meets the 81 levels.

Thanks for the info ..
Very nice setup
Old 09-10-2011, 04:53 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I can clarify this.
Back in the 50's and 60's up till 1972 when GM was using solid flat tappets in the Corvettes, they used stamped steel rockers with just an out of round locking nut that was and still is notorious for backing off regularly.

As I'm sure you know, todays shaft systems share nothing in common with this yet people still talk about it without knowing where the "wives tail" came from. Reminds me of the 3/4 race cam crap. Most people have no idea that was a real cam from Isky.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:37 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Firehawk441
I can clarify this.
Back in the 50's and 60's up till 1972 when GM was using solid flat tappets in the Corvettes, they used stamped steel rockers with just an out of round locking nut that was and still is notorious for backing off regularly.

As I'm sure you know, todays shaft systems share nothing in common with this yet people still talk about it without knowing where the "wives tail" came from. Reminds me of the 3/4 race cam crap. Most people have no idea that was a real cam from Isky.
Your're exactly right. Sorry for not sharing all the info on the "wives tale". and the story on the 3/4 cam is pretty good, it's funny how they did things back then.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I find it very interesting that we have very similar engines, almost the same displacement, (except mine has a smaller bore, longer stroke) I have less cam duration (251 @ .050"), we make almost identical power, but my engine with a Fast 102 makes peak power higher at 6300-6400? That tells me your cam is either advanced too much (mine was a 115 lsa on a 114 icl) or that Harrop is still restrictive on that size engine even after porting. I also find it interesting that I lost 100 lb/ft of torque going from engine dyno to chassis dyno (630 tq vs 530 tq), yet Stage 7 made 630 tq at the tires, that would suggest 730 tq at the crank, just doesn't add up in my mind.

Thanks for sharing, and sorry to the OP for the highjack!

BTW, I've seen 502's make less than 700 hp, you would be getting it done to make 800 hp on pump gas with a hyd roller cam and would require something like a Mast intake or a Holley LS3 intake with dual TB's and some large heads flowing over 400.

Last edited by Brian Tooley Racing; 09-12-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We've made 730 flywheel hp with a ls7 440 and a Fast 102 and have a 460 with some big ole heads and a Kinsler ITB setup that hopefully will make well over 800hp on pump.
500 inch engine with Kinsler making 701 hp, I hope yours does much better than this one.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-pump-gas.html

Quick Reply: Well built RHS502...What hp/tq expect??