TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Congradulations on the new set up.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikemodano9c
look for my post with my dyno sheet...its recent...

from 5500 to redline your making 410-412...sounds just like mine...it sounds like the heads are choking the motor...

good luck to your car too, as an owner of patriot heads i think i can comment about them...
Then comment on ur own darn thread...don't screw up his. Ur acting like a 2yr old. I really don't care who you are, but to come on here and start this crap is childish..take it to a new thread where PP can possibly explain themselves or whatever they need to do.

Guys like you make me want to
Old 03-21-2004, 10:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I am happy with my set up. I know that the SS still has more in her once I get the A/F to a more acceptable 12.9-13.0 and get the timing up to 28-29 degrees.

BLKTA they are the perimeter 98 style heads. For $999 can't beat them.

Track times will really show the difference. I am almost at the same HP with this set-up as I was on nitrous last year. Time will tell.

David

Last edited by Navy David SS; 03-21-2004 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your new setup, and don't worry about the guys talking about these results are low... Its pretty much the same guys that always bash anytime Patriot is mentioned, so don't worry about it.

The perimeter heads do really well, and thats at stock compression How is the power down low? Alot of big camshafts loose a ton of low end, but the 231.237 always seems to perform well down low also..
What wheels did you dyno on? Don't forget that dual disc also soaks up rwhp, but who cares!! Get it to the track & have a blast.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 03-21-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Jason

Thanks for all the help with this build up. I do have a question for you - I sent an E-mail to you on the tuning. What I wouldn't give to be able to bring the SS to you for an actually dyno tune. This just shouldn't be this hard.

Stock compression, stock bottom end. With a 12-bolt and 4.30 gears on 28" ET drags. I figured that since that is what I am going to be running at the track, that is what I want to dyno tune for.

TQ peaks at 4200 rpms and carries 370+ until 6000rpms. HP peaks at 400+ at 5700 and carries until 6800 rpm (red line). A/F is at 13:1 until 5500 and than gradually goes rich until 12.2 at 6500, and than even richer 11.8 at 6800 rpms. Looks like I still can lean the top end out for some more HP .

David

Last edited by Navy David SS; 03-21-2004 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by pewter99SS
he is dynoing through a 12 bolt with 4.30 gears. With stock rear and gears he probably would have made 430+
that's not really an excuse to only be in the 410's IMO. Most of the heads/cam m6 guys are dynoing through 12 bolts.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JoSeY
Then comment on ur own darn thread...don't screw up his. Ur acting like a 2yr old. I really don't care who you are, but to come on here and start this crap is childish..take it to a new thread where PP can possibly explain themselves or whatever they need to do.

Guys like you make me want to

please man...

if the people making these threads with their numbers dont want people's opinions what is the point of posting them...if all he wanted was fellow members blowing sunshine up his butt then go post on the other board...

screw up his thread give me a break

it looks like with some better tuning on his setup there is more power to be made
Old 03-21-2004, 10:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Mike

Yes, I agree. I have some more tuning to do. But originally, and still right now, with only initial tuning, an 80 hp gain with heads and cam IMO (I know I don't know ****) is still pretty damn good.

Verbs, but how many go out of their way to make sure that they dyno with a full race set-up - to include 28x10.5x15 ET drags. I wanted to dyno what I race.

Enough said. Track times are the only thing that matters any way as my SS only sees the dyno for tuning purposes.

David
Old 03-22-2004, 10:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Navy David SS
Mike

Yes, I agree. I have some more tuning to do. But originally, and still right now, with only initial tuning, an 80 hp gain with heads and cam IMO (I know I don't know ****) is still pretty damn good.

Verbs, but how many go out of their way to make sure that they dyno with a full race set-up - to include 28x10.5x15 ET drags. I wanted to dyno what I race.

Enough said. Track times are the only thing that matters any way as my SS only sees the dyno for tuning purposes.

David
Yes slicks reduce dyno #'s, but a 28.3" tire (before growth) is going to reduce your gearing a decent amount thereby negating the dyno losses from running a slick on the dyno...it's not like your race setup cost you that much on the dyno.

Regardless, track times are all that matters you are correct, so go get tuned and kick some ***!!
Old 03-22-2004, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks.

Tuning on the way. Track times to be done ASAP.

David
Old 03-22-2004, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

please man...

if the people making these threads with their numbers dont want people's opinions what is the point of posting them...if all he wanted was fellow members blowing sunshine up his butt then go post on the other board...

screw up his thread give me a break

it looks like with some better tuning on his setup there is more power to be made
oh yeeeaaahhhh....love that grown up attitude there. Seriously....w/better tuning he might get more out of his set up...then possibly not...who knows....surely not you unless u did the tuning......go gripe about PP on another thread and let him enjoy his new H/C set up
Old 03-22-2004, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JoSeY
oh yeeeaaahhhh....love that grown up attitude there. Seriously....w/better tuning he might get more out of his set up...then possibly not...who knows....surely not you unless u did the tuning......go gripe about PP on another thread and let him enjoy his new H/C set up

calm yourself man...i own the same sponsor's heads...

better me comment than you...quit

you make it sound like i told him to throw his motor in the garbage
Old 03-22-2004, 07:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It seems like most people are maxing out around the same HP with these heads...

everything is right around 400rw for everyone except for a few people which get magic sets and make 430-440...
for months and months everyone has known what those heads/cams put out...ive got a dyno graph from months and months ago when tsp did a set of the 5.3 heads/231/237 cam/ls6 intake,tsp ported TB, tsp lid, hooker lt's, pulley and put down 441.5/401 to the wheels...if david got a tune, ls6 intake, pulley, a bit of added compression from the 5.3's dont you think he could pick up 25hp? I mean come on these are the numbers that have been showing up all over are you going to say that TSP's car was a ringer cuz it made 25hp with all those added mods? HP adds up man and he just doenst have everything some of the other cars out there do...your talking apples to oranges...as for all the cars maxing out at 400 wtf? youve got an auto and maxed out at 400 add the 5% to that and youll have 420 with a smaller cam. I dunno what to tell ya but why are you knocking the heads? The Dude buys a $1500 heads/cam/PR/gasket kit makes 415 on a safe,if nothing more, tune and you knock it? We all know youve got patriot heads but why knock them if you made decent power? If you wanted some competition top of the line heads you shouldve spent the hundreds of dollars more otherwise you shouldve known coming in what you were gonna make. When I hit the dyno im not looking for more than 370 to the wheels cuz i know i have less than optimal mods but i know races arent won on the dyno.

lata
Bill
Old 03-22-2004, 09:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Mike is only really expressing his displeasure due his low numbers.

I agree with you that if I would have gone with 5.3, raising the compression a little, that I would have gotten better numbers. But raised compression come milling the heads, than would have come butterflying the pisons. These heads were $999. I figured that they will last 2 seasons. Next will be a big stroker/bore 430+ in two years. I have set my dollars limits each year - well actually every two years.

I now have all the suspension that will lead to better 60' and times.

I am very pleased with the nitrous pull - only a 100 shot on 700psi bottle: 512.3RWPH and 563.8 RWTQ. AND, the bottle ran out at 6400 RPMS. I have every intention on going with at least 150 shot (possibly at 200 shot) early this season. Our track is another consideration. It is **** for prep.

Jason at TSP is doing some fine tuning as of we speak. Timing will be at 29+. A/F will be as close to 13.0 as possible. I am sure that the SS has at least 20 more HP in her. 430+ on my set-up would be great. In all honesty, I truely was expecting just what I got - 410+.

I really appreciate all the input that people have given.

If you want to see a (IMO) great nitrous pull go to

http://sio.midco.net/davidb/Dyno_videos/

or to my web site: www.geocities.com/davidbr57105 - click on "DYNO VIDEOS"

Thanks again to everyone

David
Old 03-22-2004, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Navy David SS
Mike is only really expressing his displeasure due his low numbers.

I agree with you that if I would have gone with 5.3, raising the compression a little, that I would have gotten better numbers. But raised compression come milling the heads, than would have come butterflying the pisons. These heads were $999. I figured that they will last 2 seasons. Next will be a big stroker/bore 430+ in two years. I have set my dollars limits each year - well actually every two years.

I now have all the suspension that will lead to better 60' and times.

I am very pleased with the nitrous pull - only a 100 shot on 700psi bottle: 512.3RWPH and 563.8 RWTQ. AND, the bottle ran out at 6400 RPMS. I have every intention on going with at least 150 shot (possibly at 200 shot) early this season. Our track is another consideration. It is **** for prep.

Jason at TSP is doing some fine tuning as of we speak. Timing will be at 29+. A/F will be as close to 13.0 as possible. I am sure that the SS has at least 20 more HP in her. 430+ on my set-up would be great. In all honesty, I truely was expecting just what I got - 410+.

I really appreciate all the input that people have given.

If you want to see a (IMO) great nitrous pull go to

http://sio.midco.net/davidb/Dyno_videos/

or to my web site: www.geocities.com/davidbr57105 - click on "DYNO VIDEOS"

Thanks again to everyone

David
i only expected about 10 more rw out of my combo...

my motor is making more power than yours is right now...i expect your numbers to improve though after a better tune...

good power congrats on the car...i bet you will get 430 out of it after its all said and done...

good numbers on the bottle too, especially for such a low psi...

Old 03-22-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Veteran

im more interested in power gained not the actual 4xx rwhp numbers. Because you could say that my dyno numbers are low; 409ish rwhp, but if you look at the before #'s (310 rwhp) you can see that my car is just not a dyno queen, so I think its pretty unfair for people to come in and bash people because their H/C setup doesnt make over 440 rwhp or whatever....NO MATTER WHAT HEADS THEY HAVE. Like already been mentioned, he is just sharing his results, he doesnt care how low it is compared to so-and-so's car, he is happy and cares more about track performance.
I bet my car can run just as well on the track as some 450 rwhp H/C car.
It goes with the old saying, if you dont have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. People dont come in here posting their numbers and saying they are happy with their setup and wanting or expecting people to bash them. They just spent their hard earned money doing whatever it is to their car and for people to go in and say "your #'s suck, so-and-so made ?? with their ?? H?C setup" is really uncalled for.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Well said Linda.

I gained from 331 to 412 and still going up. 80 hp gains, I'll take it. 100 hp

David
Old 03-22-2004, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CamaroCain
im more interested in power gained not the actual 4xx rwhp numbers. Because you could say that my dyno numbers are low; 409ish rwhp, but if you look at the before #'s (310 rwhp) you can see that my car is just not a dyno queen, so I think its pretty unfair for people to come in and bash people because their H/C setup doesnt make over 440 rwhp or whatever....NO MATTER WHAT HEADS THEY HAVE. Like already been mentioned, he is just sharing his results, he doesnt care how low it is compared to so-and-so's car, he is happy and cares more about track performance.
I bet my car can run just as well on the track as some 450 rwhp H/C car.
It goes with the old saying, if you dont have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. People dont come in here posting their numbers and saying they are happy with their setup and wanting or expecting people to bash them. They just spent their hard earned money doing whatever it is to their car and for people to go in and say "your #'s suck, so-and-so made ?? with their ?? H?C setup" is really uncalled for.
was the 310 unlocked with the yank converter?

lock the converter on the dyno and i bet it makes in the 440rwhp neighborhood...
Old 03-23-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Veteran

was the 310 unlocked with the yank converter?

lock the converter on the dyno and i bet it makes in the 440rwhp neighborhood...
All dyno runs were made unlocked, because that is how the car is run on the track. I am a little curious to see how it would do LOCKed, I have always wondered if it is the converter efficency that has caused my car not to perform up to par on the top end of the track. But I hear installing a lock-up switch is a lot harder on the trans
Old 04-09-2004, 07:39 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder how the 5.7s dyno compared to a 5.3l, I figure 10rwhp would be about the max difference. The slicks kill alot of power though, I lost 16rwhp running slicks on my c5...

Jason
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com