Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

First Time to the Dyno...I think I have a Factory Freak...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trap speeds don't lie.

Dyno's are only tuning tools. Don't take their readings to the grave.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
According to Jim @ CalSpeed, its a DynoJet 248.
No sir, you were on a Dynocom eddy current loaded chassis dyno. I would disregard the torque as its picked up through the snapshot function if you dont pick it up with inductive, computer selfs calculates RPM /torque based on vehicle being held to a 2k rpm start point on the start of the run. It doesnt affect the HP numbers (as you dont even need to hook up torque/rpm reading, doesnt affect rwhp reading etc). I am waiting for a new inductive pickup for RPM pickup.

We also have a Dynojet 248 non-loaded but its being moved from old location and is not installed in our new expansion of our shop currently.

We've put several cars back to back on our dynocom vs dynojet 248. typical 300 rwhp stock LS1/fbody makes 315 rwhp on our dynocom. 400 rwhp car on our dynojet made just over 420 rwhp on our dynocom. I do much perfer the dynocom for tuning because it has such fantastic loading capability with the eddy current and the software/hardware works much better than the winpep software from dynojet.

One thing without a doubt is the tune was spot on when it left fixing the issues in the tune:
Your car was crazy lean on the first pull with the mail order tune you had plus the tune in it was pretty bad in several areas. Also injector flow rate was approx 88-90% on the pulls after correction as well as the MAF airflow showed it was making more than a stock bolt on car (which made about 39 rwhp more rwhp than the way it came in).

How did it feel when you left versus before?

Last edited by CalSpeedPerformance; 02-20-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks again for taking the time to tune the car, Jim.

The car feels every bit of 40 HP stronger than before. It has much more throttle response, and revs much faster. Whatever the actual HP number is, it still picked up a huge amount compared to how I drove it in there.

Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to do about future mods, as I'd hate to take a step backwards!
Old 02-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah , Dynocoms torque readings are always off. Stock K20's make 170trq here locally (that's unheard of). Id say take it to the track and post results!
Old 03-03-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Throw some Kooks or ARH 1 7/8 headers, a nice TB and drive it till it dies. Yeah, and save up for an LS3...
Old 03-04-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<~ NDI guy

Eddy Currents Rule!

Jim, thanks for the clairification on the dyno numbers.

I've met Jim at Cars and Coffee here in Vegas. He is a standup guy. One of our club members (Gilbert) has a tune from him and the car flat out runs.

Quick Reply: First Time to the Dyno...I think I have a Factory Freak...