Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

278/339....347/364(Edelbrock Headers) after dyno tune...odd?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a hard time finding a matching Edelbrock 3.5" ypipe...everyone that I ordered from ended up refunding my money.....

But yea, scam or not...I still ended up with decent numbers and car runs great..I would have dyno tuned anyways, but not before my cam swap..ugh
Old 03-05-2012, 02:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TurbopigB4C
Edelbrock no longer makes exhaust so if you find there ory and want it you should ****** it up.
Originally Posted by whiteNrude01
I had a hard time finding a matching Edelbrock 3.5" ypipe...everyone that I ordered from ended up refunding my money.....
Just to try to help people out that have these headers and clear any confusion, here is the edelbrock Y-pipe http://sdparts.com/details/edelbrock/e65711. They are a site sponsor and are the only ones that seem to have it still. Also so people know, this is a 3" stainless Y. It opens up to 3.5" for the collectors but then goes down to 3". Here is a picture of it.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardzracing
The way (I believe) Lil SS is explaining it, is that the tuner was playing it safe with his street tune.

You can't feel the power you're adding or losing on the street playing with timing. This is where the dyno comes in handy... add a little timing, make a pull, add a little more, make a pull, see what timing makes peak power and then maybe pull a tiny bit to keep things safe.

That's what I do, can't speak for others.

Any competent tuner though has a good idea of where the car should make good power timing wise. Example, from what I have seen stock cammed cars really don't benifit from more than 25-26* timing at WOT.

Either way it seems I should have just did a MOT from frost or TSP...woulda got the same drviability..more power...and wouldnt of lost power for alot less then $250
I don't believe in mail order tunes. See above comment. A MOT can get it close, but not perfect. Example, I did 2 cars (guys were cousins, did one, pulled it off the dyno and did the other). with Similar mods, same cam (Mid 230's duration), stock heads, same intakes, only differences was the MFG of the headers. One car liked 30* total timing and the other liked 26*

But mostly whats making me sketchy...is the crap about adding..tb exhaust headers etc would causr me to lose power...which is BS cause he did a street tune..
Was this street tune done with a wideband?
What was total advance when he started and when he finished?
Was there any knock retard?

Yes, it should have picked up, but there might be more to it.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LIL SS
Was this street tune done with a wideband?
What was total advance when he started and when he finished?
Was there any knock retard?

Yes, it should have picked up, but there might be more to it.
Im not totally sure, he didnt mention a wideband or any knock retard, said he mostly just "cleared my codes, lowered fan temps, got the car to drive as stock as possible with the new mods...he said that a few times actually mentioning getting the car to act stock...I suppose it would have been beneficial to know what questions TOO ask from the get go. All and all though the dynotune seems to have really done alot for it. He did mention he didnt adjust the timing with the street tune
Old 03-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z-camaro
Just to try to help people out that have these headers and clear any confusion, here is the edelbrock Y-pipe http://sdparts.com/details/edelbrock/e65711. They are a site sponsor and are the only ones that seem to have it still. Also so people know, this is a 3" stainless Y. It opens up to 3.5" for the collectors but then goes down to 3". Here is a picture of it.
Omg thats awesome, I looked everywere before I bought my TSP Ypipe and went to an exhaust shop..damn!!!!

Quick Reply: 278/339....347/364(Edelbrock Headers) after dyno tune...odd?