Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

How good is the stock catback pipe?? + $2 worth of washers worth 4 RWHP,with sheets.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
It opens the gap in the inlet between the box and top core support.

I was curious years ago when my buddy had is 400rwhp cam only 2002 SS on the rollers. I was curious about the power difference between a WS6 lower box and a SS lower box,the WS6 lower box(and only this one) has a bigger(taller) opening under the front.

SO after he made his pulls, I pulled up his lower box and stuck 2 screwdriver handles under the box and did a pull.

Average HP went up like 5hp, bottom end tq went WAY up on the initial hit, like 15 ft lbs and carried it to like 4500rpm then it leveled out with the previous pulls lines.

I was shocked.

I could see where if you put all the big stuff, big lid, big MAF, big TB and a SLP style front facing hood with the WS6 lower box it would be worth some power(not to justify all the cost, but if you got good deals on all of it or it was a max effort car).

This test was the reason I put a LT1 WS6 airbox and WS6 style hood on my LT1 car, it was just as good as the setup I have now.
Not trying to call you out but do you have access to those dyno sheets? I think this mod is interesting and might do this myself.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Austinma62
Not trying to call you out but do you have access to those dyno sheets? I think this mod is interesting and might do this myself.
LMAO, not gonna call me out on $2 worth of washers??????????

Here are my sheets.

Before SLP 2OTL and washers

The 380 run is the SLP 2 OTL, the 384 is the washers.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 04-16-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you should post the dyno info, The STD correction factor ...098 or 1.0 whatever for both pulls the temp/hum. How pulls did you do? I do 3 GOOD pulls with the same time between them 10-15mins, This didnt take you alot of time to change, Like cams, (2-4hours) exhaust, intake stuff Ive done alot of. And drive the car on the dyno to get to same temps before going WOT and recording info.. Then take the closer pull of the 3 to compare to the other setup. Its super hard to see 3-4whp. I'm mostly after hours stuff, so 6-7pm to late night so the air change is a bitch.

I'm suprised you run the "free ramair" cut lower trim still? get a SUX2BU setup and see what it gains on the track. The shim thing I not saying is not a gain, but seal it up so its not getting air from the front and see what it dose at the track. I dont think shipping it up would help. Getting the filter 1/8 up more, if you have good forced air to it.
Ive heard of guys unbolting the plastic and putting a 2x4 block under it spacing it up evern more, or un cliping the lid with no filter, spacing it. And its 5-7whp, but if you do that dyno crap your a dumbass, kidding yourself.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh, My 2OTL makes 7 less whp (un modding 3inch inlet). Then unbolting the over the axle tube I made (part of the magnaflow) and running the end of the Y pipe open (4inch) along side of the torque arm before it goes up over the rearend.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:37 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did this mod today, had some extra washers in the tool box. Can't hurt, extremely simple and hopefully gains a few horsepower.

Good call-out Fastfatboy!

Quick Reply: How good is the stock catback pipe?? + $2 worth of washers worth 4 RWHP,with sheets.