Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

My mamofied build results

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1 nasty z
Check out the video of the pull on cincyspeed.com It is titled Joels 4th gen.
Here you go Joel....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Old 04-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
What's the open pressure on the springs, and which pushrods?
Compression? Flycut pistons? TIA
Brian,

425 ish open.....165 ish on the seat. Light valve (90 grams) and 11/32 thick wall rods. Ive built a dozen engines with the same valvetrain/spring/cam intensity/pushrod set-up and all of them looked like a solid roller motor on the engine dyno (perfect valve control to 7K or more with a nice arced power curve).

I spoke with Tracy from Cincy Speed today for a bit.....nice guy, and he said there is no knock retard but was willing to invest more time in it after Joel runs it a bit to see if could tweak it some more. There was only so much time to dial it in having to handle all the drivability side of the tune in addition to the WOT stuff.

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Looks good to me. That dip is the converter lockup clutch slipping a bit and probly goes through the higher rpm area which makes it look like valve control problems. I've seen this alot and even more on 98 cars.

If it was a 6 speed it would putout alot higher numbers, torque would definitely be well over 400.
Don,

The lock up clutch slipping is an interesting thought. Makes me want to see the curve unlocked to eliminate that variable. Even though the numbers would be lower thru the 4K stall the curve should look "cleaner" if your suggestion is correct (with a nice arc and a 65-6700 power peak I suspect). If Joel (the OP) and Tracy do get time to tweak the tune I will suggest they make a run or two unlocked to see what the shape of the curve looks like that way.

No question this car would have looked a bunch better on the dyno with an M6.....especially if it had a reasonably lightweight clutch flywheel assembly.

Thanks for chiming in.....im really curious about the lock up clutch deal you mentioned.

Regards,
Tony
Old 04-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by S1LV3R
There was an older thread where Tony said that 1 7/8 headers were all wrong for the AFR heads and that they would perform better with 1 3/4. My question is,does that only apply to the smaller 205's? Also why use 230's instead of 205's for stock CI motor? Not bashing anyone just curious. Thanks, and sorry for the hijack.
Header size depends on application.....for most applications I would say a 1.75 tube on a 346 CID engine would produce more average power and torque however this combo is alot more aggressive and is aimed at producing big numbers in the higher RPM's where it would take advantage of the larger tube diameter more than a milder combo that would warrant less RPM.

Joel wanted big power upstairs....didn't care about how strong the engine was under 4K.....he wanted it to run hard to redline and he was OK with some light cam surge etc. I encouraged him to go a hair smaller with the cam seeing as we were going with the larger heads that would also make for more top end power at the expense of some bottom. The stronger the airflow and more efficient the head is the less cam you need to effectively feed the engine at higher RPM.

A more "rounded package" would be the same or similar set-up with a set of 215's but Joel made it clear he wanted the larger heads on his set-up and a package aimed to really shine from 4-7000 RPM's.

Also, keep in mind that 230 cc's is not a "huge" head.....most ported stock heads are this size or larger but these heads moved 335+ CFM at that finished volume so it does have a good bit of airspeed. Tracy mentioned when he drove the car the power curve felt very linear and it didn't even feel lazy in the lower RPM's but clearly pulled hard when the tach needle started swinging.

-Tony
Old 04-20-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have a problem with how many times the graph is up to and above the 13.0 line. I do not care what the numbers are, it should be safe. That is the most important part.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Wow This thread blew up quick. Sorry I have been crazy busy with work and helping remodel an old house and havent had time to jump on here and see how much attention this thread has got.

First off I must say that this thing is a BEAST. Still have some shift point issues to work out but from launch to redline this thing pulls like a train. It really shines upstairs.

The drivability is awesome as well. Some minor cam surge but nothing that will ever bother me. I have actually had to daily drive the car since monday due to the girlfriends car breaking down and other than my loud exhaust choice starting to get a little old for a daily driver this thing is great. its averageing around 19 mpg even with my heavy right foot. Everything is smooth sailing for me.

I want to give a huge shoutout to Tony Mamo for all the help and patience with all my questions. He has been outstanding with he products he has put out for me and the knowledge he has shared and the customer service is second to none.

I also want to give a huge shoutout to Cincy Speed. Tracey was great on giving me some insight on the tuning aspect of it and Craig was great there as well! Customer service there is great and I would recommend them to anyone in the area.

Overall once we get the few minor bugs worked out on this thing I am going to love it.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:17 AM
Launching!

It just seems to me numbers are average to low. I see similar cars running budget heads, off the shelf cam and ls6 intakes making similar, if not even higher numbers. I'm sure Tony does great work, but I would be a little disappointed in those numbers.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 439 Likes on 345 Posts

Now go get some track times!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

pretty interesting how the fuel curve dips match/reflect the hp curve
seems more likely to be tune up related unless your lock up is done or your loosing traction, also look how hp drops at 4k when the converter should be coupled
overall a bad *** setup with some more time 460ish hp and 400tq looks possible through a 4k stall!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:09 AM
Launching!

i wouldn't even be concerned with the #s right now.take it to the track to see what it traps.i've seen people brag about their dyno #s,but can't back them up at the track.i'd be willing to bet your car if faster than the dyno shows..

Quick Reply: My mamofied build results