Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Your Experience With A Superflow AutoDyn Chassis Dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 01:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Your Experience With A Superflow AutoDyn Chassis Dyno?

I'll be taking my new LS3 cam only combo on the dyno this week. The shop Im going to uses an Superflow AutoDyn Chassis Dyno. Ive read that in "pure inertia mode" the numbers are very comparible to a DynoJet. I was wondering if anyone here has used a Superflow and what your experience was like? High/low/true numbers?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A local shop in Lexington ky has a superflow dyno...the numbers on Superflows can be manipulated to read just about whatever the shop wants. If you want a dynojet number, just go to a dynojet shop. There is actually a 4-6% difference in my friends dynojet dyno and the superflow dyno in lexington, with their dyno set to read dynojet numbers. Their dynojet numbers are higher by 4-6% over the real dynojet. A dyno is a tuning tool and all read different.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:28 PM
10 Second Club

I know its a tool. Im more intersted in my power curve then anything. Im not looking for dynojet numbers, just repeating what Ive read. Just wanted to know if its an accurate dyno. When I hear things like 4-8% difference between dynos thats huge on a 500hp car for example. Thats still 20-40hp difference. That wouldnt seem accurate to me at all. Even tho its a tool, I dont a 460rwhp readout vs a 500rwhp, if indeed the car is closer to the 500 mark. But I guess a trip to the strip will be more accurate.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

You know, everybody says "take it to the strip, its better for seeing the power" but there are also alot of factors that come in to play at the drag strip. Driver's ability, traction, suspension, etc, etc...either way, all it comes down to is if you are happy with how your car feels. My old car put down 453rwhp but the only time I made it to the track before I had to sell it, I was on street tires and my clutch master decided to **** out on the way to the track...yes I drove my car...and the best I could manage was 13.10 @ 87mph spinning through 3rd, short shifting, and fighting the clutch hydraulics...
Old 08-24-2012, 07:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The superflow software allows you to convert the numbers to a dynojet correction. Ours is right where people 'expect' the numbers to be...
Old 08-25-2012, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Years ago I once dynoed my 99 TA on a SuperFlow dyno and the operator used "DJRWHP" correction which adds like 8% to the actual SuperFlow observed numbers... The car made 392 rwhp. Two hours later I took the car to MTI in Houston who had a DJ248 dyno, the car made 391 rwhp. Nothing was changed, just drove across town..

I recently dynoed my 71' Vette on the same Superflow dyno, using the "DJRWHP" corrected numbers, the car only made 460 rwhp (I was fully expecting 500+ rwhp as it made 657hp on an engine dyno).... The 460 numbers seemed low to me but the car runs 125-128 mph at 3700lbs so to me its showing more then 460hp.

I just stick to trap speeds and let the dyno numbers be what they may.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:03 PM
10 Second Club

Well I dynoed the car yesterday on the current rough tune and it made 460/455. This is a stock LS3 cam only and 1 3/4 headers. I still need to do some more tuning and Im saving up for 1 7/8 headers but thats not too bad for the mods the motor has. The dyno operator did tell me that the Superflow was just slightly more conservative then a Dynojet. I was gonna use another shop later that has a Dynojet but Im thinking that maybe I should stick with the same dyno till Im done with the car to more accuarately see gains, if that dyno is consistent.

Quick Reply: Your Experience With A Superflow AutoDyn Chassis Dyno?