Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Iron 6.0l l92 heads cam dyno mostly stock gm parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
There is no need to lift the exhaust valve aggressively or any further than what I've got that profile specified for.

I used to throw the same lobe I was using on the intake as I did on the exhaust until after speaking with some very informed valve-train experts that there was no point or reason in doing it and that I may of been costing some power as the valve-train you have the most control over will be the one that makes the most power.
You would have to be pretty hard up to loose control of an exhaust valve wouldn't you?
Old 09-25-2012, 03:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyDirk
What kind of springs would you recommend with that cam? I sure the factory blue springs wouldnt work?
No they wouldn't unfortunately. I would suggest one of our cam packages that includes BTR "Platinum" springs good to .660" lift and 400lbs of open pressure at .650" lift and that also includes Manley .080" wall 5/16" push rods. We sell this package for 679.99.
Originally Posted by DirtyDirk
Tick Performance has them on their web site.
Is this the one you're speaking of? http://www.tickperformance.com/slp-l...aptor-bracket/
Originally Posted by blackonblacksls
You would have to be pretty hard up to loose control of an exhaust valve wouldn't you?
Yes and no.

The exhaust valve is actually a tricky little bugger. Most people think, "Well it's lighter and smaller than the intake so it's easier to control". That is true that it is lighter and smaller so it has less mass, but one critical element that most people don't take into consideration is this:

One of the exhaust valve-springs jobs is to keep the exhaust valve firmly seated and closed while the piston is traveling upwards in the bore during the compression stroke. This is when the maximum amount of cylinder pressure occurs during this valve event(compression stroke). The pressure in the cylinder reaches a critical peak point where it's fighting and trying to find any way to get out. The intake valve at this point in the valve event cycle of a 4-stroke engine actually has an easier job of staying closed than the exhaust valve for this reason I'm about to mention.

The exhaust valve is smaller in diameter than the intake valve. Therefore when all that pressure is exerted on the intake valve it has more surface area to absorb and disperse that pressure and not be concentrated in or on a smaller area. The exhaust valve is much smaller so the pressure doesn't have the surface area to disperse and spread the pressure equally across it's radius. This is why you cannot have too aggressive of an exhaust lobe because during this valve event the exhaust valve has to stay seated or else you lose cylinder pressure thus losing power and causing valve float to happen.

This is especially true in a power adder and even more so in a forced induction application where you are forcing the air in and there are much higher cylinder pressures exerting their force against that small exhaust valve. Too aggressive of a lobe and you lose control of the exhaust valve losing power and higher rpm stability.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 09-26-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't know we are talking about power adder apps. I don't think I have ever lost control of an exhaust valve or heard of anyone doing so in an NA app. So using milder exhaust lobes seems pointless.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And wouldn't more surface area on the intake mean more radius and more surface being acted on?

You might be smarter than I think you are, but you bring too much theory to the table and not enough real world experience. There for I have a hard time taking what you say seriously.

I learned long ago theory doesn't always transfer into the real world. And that's been proven plenty of times.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't know we are talking about power adder apps. I don't think I have ever lost control of an exhaust valve or heard of anyone doing so in an NA app. So using milder exhaust lobes seems pointless.
I agree.... X2 There are advantages to using a lobe with faster ramp rates on the exhaust especially during blowdown.

FYI, excessive overlap combined with a lazy exhaust lobe is not a good combination with the L92/LS3 platform NA. Plus a lot of guys that are using these extended exhaust durations are bleeding off low end and mid range torque in the process.

Last edited by bozzhawg; 09-26-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by i420tom
I made my own, check out my photobucket pics it should be there
Where is ur photobucket pics at? Link
Old 09-26-2012, 07:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by i420tom
did your car Dyno 470 with the 150shot?
Yes 470rwhp w/ the 150 shot on a button switch!! and I was running a 3.42 rear end from 89' Turbo T/A

It was an LS1 sourced from 01' Z28, 4l60 w/TCI 3600, big cam, ls6 intake stock 241 heads besides valvesprings/retainers and a 4" self made intake, 1 3/4 long tubes from Hawks 3rd gen and custom real dual 3" exaust dumping before rear end w/ magnaflow bulletts sounded sick !!!! nitto drag radials on lightweight weld 15x9, bmr lca, spohn torque arm, airbag in right spring, subframe conn, lightweight fiberglass hood, stock hoods weigh a ton!! Was a great street money racer cause it looked like **** but hooked like crazy on the street, regulary raped 03'-04' terminator Cobras w/ spray and p&p blowers!!

BTW 91' Camaro RS
Old 09-26-2012, 07:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LIL SS
I am guessing your 60' was not all that great. I have a 3,300lb truck that makes 546rwhp and have gone 10.5x. My 60' still isn't that great at a mid 1.5.. Your mph tells me there is more in it.

1.7-1.8 60ft times, i did not hit the GO button until I knew the car was hooked and planted, usually about 100-150 feet out then I would pretend I was Vin Diesel with my button!! lol... just kiddin, I hate those nitrous montages in F&F I wish Nitrous put you in the seat like that!!!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:50 AM
FormerVendor

And wouldn't more surface area on the intake mean more radius and more surface being acted on?

You might be smarter than I think you are, but you bring too much theory to the table and not enough real world experience. There for I have a hard time taking what you say seriously.

I learned long ago theory doesn't always transfer into the real world. And that's been proven plenty of times.
I'm talking about all apps in general. Yes it has more radius and yes it has more area to be acted on, but we are speaking of pressure against a smaller area. That larger amount of area will allow that pressure to be equally spread out over that larger area! The exhaust valve will have a harder time spreading out the pressure spike the combustion event causes where as the intake valve will be able to spread that pressure spike out over a larger area therefore being able to control that spike easier. Combine that with the aggressiveness an intake lobe needs in a N/A application on the exhaust valve and you have trouble brewing.

Ask Brian Tooley what he thinks about using a milder lobe on the exhaust and get back to me.

Theory? LOL I've got more experience than you ever will have hence why I have the job I do buddy.

I could care less what you think about me or my "theories".

Every time I think you're ready to actually listen to me and actually learn something you just show me how narrow minded and stupid you really are.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 09-26-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:52 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
I agree.... X2 There are advantages to using a lobe with faster ramp rates on the exhaust especially during blowdown.

FYI, excessive overlap combined with a lazy exhaust lobe is not a good combination with the L92/LS3 platform NA. Plus a lot of guys that are using these extended exhaust durations are bleeding off low end and mid range torque in the process.
Where did I say lazy? Where did I say anything about excessive overlap. If you were half as smart as you say you are or act like you are you would know you can have a decent I/E split and not have excessive overlap.

There is a big difference between lazy and milder than the craziest lobe possible.

The idiots on this site astound me. Mr. Bozzhawg you didn't answer my question the other day where is your race car? Hell where is your street car? What does it make for power? What builds can you lay claim to? What combinations have you put together for yourself or others?
Old 09-26-2012, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm talking about all apps in general. Yes it has more radius and yes it has more area to be acted on, but we are speaking of pressure against a smaller area. That larger amount of area will allow that pressure to be equally spread out over that larger area! The exhaust valve will have a harder time spreading out the pressure spike the combustion event causes where as the intake valve will be able to spread that pressure spike out over a larger area therefore being able to control that spike easier. Combine that with the aggressiveness an intake lobe needs in a N/A application on the exhaust valve and you have trouble brewing.

Ask Brian Tooley what he thinks about using a milder lobe on the exhaust and get back to me.

Theory? LOL I've got more experience than you ever will have hence why I have the job I do buddy.

I could care less what you think about me or my "theories".

Every time I think you're ready to actually listen to me and actually learn something you just show me how narrow minded and stupid you really are.

Where did I say lazy? Where did I say anything about excessive overlap. If you were half as smart as you say you are or act like you are you would know you can have a decent I/E split and not have excessive overlap.

There is a big difference between lazy and milder than the craziest lobe possible.

The idiots on this site astound me. Mr. Bozzhawg you didn't answer my question the other day where is your race car? Hell where is your street car? What does it make for power? What builds can you lay claim to? What combinations have you put together for yourself or others?

Martin you are a sponsor and look at how childish you are behaving? Don't you realize that how you are behaving is a PR nightmare and harmful to Tick's image.

Nobody has called you a name or anything and you have resorted to name calling: You called me and blackonblacksls stupid because we don't agree with your logic. You can disagree, but chill with all of the name calling an insults little dude.

You are a sponsor and you should behave at a higher level. But you got a job as a sales rep for Tick. I hope your behavior is not a reflection of how Tick Performance treats its customers when one of their clerks gets upset on the internet .......LOL

Its not the company who is never wrong or has something go wrong, but its how they handle it when something goes wrong. And right now just because someone does not agree with you, you have resulted to acting like a 24 year old child.

When babies don't get their way:

They cry and fuss

carry on son

Last edited by bozzhawg; 09-26-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:11 PM
FormerVendor

Martin you are a sponsor and look at how childish you are behaving? Don't you realize that how you are behaving is a PR nightmare and harmful to Tick's image.

Nobody has called you a name or anything and you have resorted to name calling: You called me and blackonblacksls stupid because we don't agree with your logic. You can disagree, but chill with all of the name calling an insults little dude.

You are a sponsor and you should behave at a higher level. But you got a job as a sales rep for Tick. I hope your behavior is not a reflection of how Tick Performance treats its customers when one of their clerks gets upset on the internet .......LOL

Its not the company who is never wrong or has something go wrong, but its how they handle it when something goes wrong. And right now just because someone does not agree with you, you have resulted to acting like a 24 year old child.

When babies don't get their way:

They cry and fuss

carry on son
I got the answer I needed.

You don't have a lick of experience with a performance vehicle yet tell me I am wrong.

Wow.

Clerk? Sales Rep? I think you have my position confused with what you perceive yourself to be and that is someone who knows nothing and really has no clue or a lick of experience with ever making any kind of power or putting down a number. Let alone run fast at the track.

I never called you a name, didn't act childish. Just asked a simple question what kind of car do you own, what have you owned and what have you put together? If you can't answer that question truthfully or fully then you shouldn't be chastising me for my FREE help I give to every member on this site. I think you will find from 95% of the members on here that they find my services, help and advice more than helpful and commend me for it. Then you have people as yourself who's whole goal is to try and disprove someone like myself yet has no experience themselves.

I do behave at a high level until I am picked at incessantly by someone such as yourself and blackonblack.

Sorry I'm blunt and I don't sugar coat things, but that's the way it is.

You're now slinging insults and because I'm young you think I might not have any experience, but I guarantee you I have more than you two put together will ever have.

Anyways I have chassis dyno work to do, I'll get back to your response when I'm finished.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:29 PM
10 Second Club

I got the answer I needed.

You don't have a lick of experience with a performance vehicle yet tell me I am wrong.

Wow.

Clerk? Sales Rep? I think you have my position confused with what you perceive yourself to be and that is someone who knows nothing and really has no clue or a lick of experience with ever making any kind of power or putting down a number. Let alone run fast at the track.

I never called you a name, didn't act childish. Just asked a simple question what kind of car do you own, what have you owned and what have you put together? If you can't answer that question truthfully or fully then you shouldn't be chastising me for my FREE help I give to every member on this site. I think you will find from 95% of the members on here that they find my services, help and advice more than helpful and commend me for it. Then you have people as yourself who's whole goal is to try and disprove someone like myself yet has no experience themselves.

I do behave at a high level until I am picked at incessantly by someone such as yourself and blackonblack.

Sorry I'm blunt and I don't sugar coat things, but that's the way it is.

You're now slinging insults and because I'm young you think I might not have any experience, but I guarantee you I have more than you two put together will ever have.

Anyways I have chassis dyno work to do, I'll get back to your response when I'm finished.
Great word!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

You've never heard of or seen valve float??

This is funny because I have spent alot of time at the track with Martin and he's a friend of mind. I can tell you right now that I value his opinion on these cars. Especially in the areas of valve timing, nitrous, and suspension tuning. If you knew how much time and effort (read trial and error... you know... the things that translate into "real world" experience and knowledge) he has put into his own personal car and with helping other people especially the guys in the X275 crowd, you would really feel like a dipshit. He's one of the nicest most willing to help guys I know.

I think the only people who's feeling would be hurt and would hold what he has said against Tick are you guys, anyone with half a brain and are on this forum know how much information he contributes to this site and others. Further more, people that have been around this game long enough get tired of all this drama and the pissing matches that are becoming more and more common on LS1tech.

As far as public relations... would you like him to end every sentence with sir?

Last time I check my good sir this was LS1tech, a place for guys who like cars not a place for some sensitive pansy to get butthurt because you don't like someones e-tone-of-voice. You guys were the ones that basically told him he didn't know what he was talking about when he has gone 6.1x's on a stock bottom end cam-only and Blackonblack is the damn fool that has melted plugs and was saying Tr6's are good for nitrous and a 13.5 c/r.

Its not the company who is never wrong or has something go wrong, but its how they handle it when something goes wrong.

Everyone is human, and Tick is run by a good group of guys. I promise you that if there is something wrong they will help you. Just because two people disagree on valvetrain theory, or anything else for that matter does not directly impact how they would treat someone as a customer. It's called a discussion, it stops being a discussion when you single someone out and tell them you don't value their opinion. If you didn't agree, post up some hard evidence to the contrary that what makes these sites worth having, or simply move on to the next thread, don't pollute the thread and drag it off topic with personal attacks and bullshit drama.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:56 PM
FormerVendor

Scott I am really humbled by your post. It means a lot to hear that from someone like yourself who I met through this site only because you wanted a second opinion and some questions about your tune. Those questions and opinions came at zero cost to yourself also after I had my good friend and member JohnCR96Z look it over for you. I just really enjoy this stuff as it is my passion, but when I run into these situations it really puts a damper on the good I can take from it.

I really think we have drug this thread far enough off track though and I deeply apologize to the original poster for de-railing his thread.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea you guys really f-ed up my thread... Please delete the unnecessary posts.... Thank you
Old 09-27-2012, 06:14 PM
9 Second Club

http://s1146.photobucket.com/albums/...er_media_share
Old 09-27-2012, 06:19 PM
9 Second Club

It is very a simple bracket. Just an L channel with the stock throttle cable bracket bolted to it. The intake manifold bolts hold the bracket down. Just something I came up with in about twenty minutes to get this car on the road at the last minute. No problems so far.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:54 PM
FormerVendor

We made a similar bracket for a LY6 swapped mustang the other day. Yours turned out nicely.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nvm On the pm Lol should of check the thread first! What stock bracket u use the ls2 like u said?

Quick Reply: Iron 6.0l l92 heads cam dyno mostly stock gm parts