Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Last 6 Speed Dyno- Our 383 LS Test Mule!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 07:07 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I'm just throwing this out there, but DAMN! You guys have some really good prices on parts!

Then I click on any part for more info and the page won't load.
Thanks, we're really trying to give you guys the best pricing possible.

Check back...not sure why you couldn't get our pages to load. We did some pretty extensive site work over the weekend, you may have checked in while we were making the updates and it could have caused some possible issues.

Sorry about that!!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:20 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 383vert
Dammit! I just got rid of my 383... Lol

I was wanting this kinda set-up. But, Mast was too pricey. I hope you do well.

Ps.
The comparison post #22, were both combos sporting same exhaust at tune procedure?
Maxed or safe? Just wanting to clarify. The 379 seems a little soft for that cam, that's all. But, I understand all dynos are different.
Thanks in advance!
Thanks! Yes same exhaust, headers, cam, everything. Only changes were heads, intake and retune. This was also a very mild street/drivability tune. Yes the dyno we used for testing did produce some numbers that we too thought were definitely on the low side, but for comparisons sake we stuck with it so we could have a reliable back to back comparison.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:22 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by NemeSS
nice product for a 383 5.7 ls1 block build
deck thickness?
Thanks!! Deck thickness is 5/8"
Old 04-22-2013, 07:29 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by GA95DCMSS
Thats why I'm definitely leaning towards these vice my current L92 heads. Even with the 4.030 bore of the 408 I'm building, the factory size L92 valves are still shrouded rather badly. I'm also wondering if these are true aftermarket castings, or modified stock castings.
Yes these are definitely a great option for larger bore motors as you will gain all the benefits of much less valve shrouding vs. the 2.165" valve.

We use GM castings that we modify to fit the smaller Ferrea valve combo. Which saves you the much higher cost of an aftermarket US casting and inconsistencies with the imported castings.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:46 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Very interesting.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:59 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
Uhhhhhhhh Oh

Somebody has some explaining to do, you are not supposed to be able to do this with these heads.

I have been an advocate for these heads for a long time and maybe the myths and marketing B.S. will finally be put to rest.

Definitely a game changer here.

The prices are reasonable, just do not raise the prices as they become more popular and price yourself out as there are several other companies who do not understand basic economics and market activity. They have heads sitting on the shelf because their prices are too high and do not reflect the current economic health.

Glad to see this
Thank you bozzhawg!...We also feel there is a lot of misinformation surrounding the capabilities of the Ls3 style head and we are glad to step outside the norm a little with a powerful alternative to whats already out there.

Our goal is to keep pricing as reasonable as possible and out of the range of aftermarket type castings. Unfortunately we are at the mercy of GM's pricing strategies, which have been on the rise lately, so some fluctuation may occur, but our intentions will always be to stay as competitive and reasonable as possible.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:11 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by big reg
Will these fit with a Texas Speed MS4 cam on an LS2? Pistons are Mahle with -4cc valve reliefs.

Sorry, I missed your post...I think you'll be fine on clearance running the Mahle piston, you'll want to double check when assembling, but wouldn't think you'd have any issue's. (Assuming head milling and gasket choice is within reason)
Old 04-23-2013, 07:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

With aftermarket pistons and the massive valve reliefs 90% of them carry, I would highly doubt there would be any P to V issues.

Ryan, can you share what the free valve drop figures are on these cylinder heads of yours? I'm very interested in this as another benefit of these heads you guys have is freeing up P to V, but I know a lot of times that can be deceiving by thinking a smaller valve will have more P to V. I've seen a lot of aftermarket valves with thick margins kill P to V clearance numbers by losing a lot of free drop.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:09 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
With aftermarket pistons and the massive valve reliefs 90% of them carry, I would highly doubt there would be any P to V issues.

Ryan, can you share what the free valve drop figures are on these cylinder heads of yours? I'm very interested in this as another benefit of these heads you guys have is freeing up P to V, but I know a lot of times that can be deceiving by thinking a smaller valve will have more P to V. I've seen a lot of aftermarket valves with thick margins kill P to V clearance numbers by losing a lot of free drop.
Hey Martin,

Yes, the valve drop measurement (assuming you're using a stock head gasket and piston is .006" above the deck and heads are uncut) is .192" @ TDC. I'll try to dig up some numbers with the 2.165" valve size, but I'm pretty sure the valve drop is quite a bit lower.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:51 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Ryan@BallisticSpeedParts
Hey Martin,

Yes, the valve drop measurement (assuming you're using a stock head gasket and piston is .006" above the deck and heads are uncut) is .192" @ TDC. I'll try to dig up some numbers with the 2.165" valve size, but I'm pretty sure the valve drop is quite a bit lower.
Stock LS3 is .133"/.160" IIRC.

Is that .192" measurement for the intake valve I take it?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:55 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Stock LS3 is .133"/.160" IIRC.

Is that .192" measurement for the intake valve I take it?
"

Yes the .192" is the intake valve, I just doubled checked the exhaust side a little while ago and it came in at .242" (including the .051" gasket and .006" piston above the deck measurements).

So, without taking the gasket or piston measurements into account the intake drop is .147" and exhaust is .197".

Looks like we've got some more room over the stock Ls3 setup!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work guys!

See what's in our shop on Facebook! Customer Build Blogs!
www.pcmofnc.com
Performance Installs - Dyno Tuning - Custom Camshafts & Valvetrain - Remote HPtuners Tuning - Mail Order Tuning & Sales
704-307-4227
Old 04-24-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just bolted these on. I went with the as cast setup as I will be boosting this car eventually and didn't really care to maximize my N/A power (hence why I run manifolds and not headers). My bottom end is a forged 347 with Wiseco -3.2CC zero deck pistons. With a 224/230 cam, ls7 exhaust manifolds, and stock 241s it only made ~350 rwhp (Doh). I will redyno soon. I am hoping for at least a 50 rwhp gain. It could be more as I gained some compression by milling the heads and running a .040 gasket.

The great advantage of this setup is LS3 intakes/rails/injectors are CHEAP. I basically traded my ls6 intake manifold for that entire setup. So I get a better flowing intake and bigger injectors for basically $0. That was the biggest selling point for me. I was going to do ported 799s again, but then you factor in the cost of the FAST 90/90 setup + bigger injectors and you are looking at a lot more $. You won't ever need more than 42 lb injectors in a stock cube N/A setup, so that really was a nice bonus.

First start in the next couple of days, just waiting on pushrods. Another bonus is you get to run 3/8" non tapered pushrods.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:44 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Ryan@BallisticSpeedParts
"

Yes the .192" is the intake valve, I just doubled checked the exhaust side a little while ago and it came in at .242" (including the .051" gasket and .006" piston above the deck measurements).

So, without taking the gasket or piston measurements into account the intake drop is .147" and exhaust is .197".

Looks like we've got some more room over the stock Ls3 setup!
You've definitely gotten an improvement over the stock LS3 heads that's for sure! IIRC a 241/243/317/799 head is around .160"I/.220"E.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mchicia1
Just bolted these on. I went with the as cast setup as I will be boosting this car eventually and didn't really care to maximize my N/A power (hence why I run manifolds and not headers). My bottom end is a forged 347 with Wiseco -3.2CC zero deck pistons. With a 224/230 cam, ls7 exhaust manifolds, and stock 241s it only made ~350 rwhp (Doh). I will redyno soon. I am hoping for at least a 50 rwhp gain. It could be more as I gained some compression by milling the heads and running a .040 gasket.

The great advantage of this setup is LS3 intakes/rails/injectors are CHEAP. I basically traded my ls6 intake manifold for that entire setup. So I get a better flowing intake and bigger injectors for basically $0. That was the biggest selling point for me. I was going to do ported 799s again, but then you factor in the cost of the FAST 90/90 setup + bigger injectors and you are looking at a lot more $. You won't ever need more than 42 lb injectors in a stock cube N/A setup, so that really was a nice bonus.

First start in the next couple of days, just waiting on pushrods. Another bonus is you get to run 3/8" non tapered pushrods.
Thanks for posting Michael...keep us updated!
Old 04-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was thinking the same thing about the whole intake setup aswell for the $ of over all H and intake should be dirt cheap. Ive seen full setups with injectors rails etc down here for like $300. Keep us posted!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's going to be very interesting to see more and more people go with your guy's LS3 heads on their stock cube LS1's. I know someone else already posted this, but if you keep your prices on point and not mark them way up like others do, you will sell them like hotcakes, especially after people post up more dyno numbers and track times. You guys are doing great work.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Car is together and running well. No dyno numbers yet but it feels like it picked up a ton of power in the high end.

Also, for whatever reason, I am able to run an assload of timing. Like up to 31 degrees in the high end.

Might be hitting the track may 12th. So far, this seems like a very good budget street setup. I am still using just ls7 exhaust manifolds, so if this can hit 400-410 through the 410s or trap 120+ I will be happy.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:27 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Also, for whatever reason, I am able to run an assload of timing. Like up to 31 degrees in the high end.
What was the chamber volume when you bolted them on? Since the heads come in at 68cc stock, you may have lost a little compression.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:50 PM
FormerVendor

Car is together and running well. No dyno numbers yet but it feels like it picked up a ton of power in the high end.

Might be hitting the track may 12th. So far, this seems like a very good budget street setup. I am still using just ls7 exhaust manifolds, so if this can hit 400-410 through the 410s or trap 120+ I will be happy.
Thanks for the update Michael...glad to hear you're up and running!!

Looking forward to seeing some trap speeds and dyno numbers!

Quick Reply: Last 6 Speed Dyno- Our 383 LS Test Mule!