Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

402 Stroker Results (came up slightly short) - NA experts step inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregory
Stang2Goat:

You can follow the details for my LS2-402 in my signature. Fairly good numbers on 93-octane with 3.73 gears and 2.50" exhaust through cats. Two differences are mine had 250cc heads with 2.10" intake valves and a somewhat larger camshaft with Harland-Sharp 1.8:1 rocker arms. Static compression was about 12.4:1.

Note: The motor is out now as a new LS2-430 with 285cc All-Pro heads is being prepared. In all honesty, I would go with their 330cc heads next time.

- Greg
Greg thank you for chiming in I have ALWAYS been impressed with your setup on LS1GTO. I damn near memorized the mods in your sig!

I would run 12.5:1 on this motor if I thought I could get away with it on 93. Compression is king. This cam has plenty of overlap but even at 12:1 the motor is a f-ing stump puller on torque thanks to the velocity of the TFS heads and the intake/exhaust setup I have supporting it. I believe we ran 23-24* timing on it on 93 pump without any * of KR.

Have you not been tempted to try a 3" and see what your setup can really do?
Old 04-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to mention my comp. is 11.3. I intended on using stage 2 243's that were 61cc but went with the 245's last minute. I was told to only mill then down to 65cc to not cause alignment issues. I wanted 12.1. Also my cam was spec'd for the 243's. I guess I just lucky everything worked out. If I could choose a new cam now I would want a little less overlap.

I am also using stock rockers with. Comp trunions. The car is a blast to drive I'd love to run a h/c c6 z06. I'd probably still get walked though damn weight and aero. On those cars are awesome.

I'm using the sportsman gz kit which is the smaller one. I don't have any new dyno sheets. I took a photo of the screen which came out like ****. I'll shoot him a email. Also this was on a dynojet with 4:10 rear gear and 19x12 rims(335-30-19) on a f-body
Old 04-04-2013, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcsperson
You can gain or lose 5-10 hp from dyno to dyno or even from day to day. I don't know that I'd throw any more money chasing 8-10 hp.

I went the opposite way. I have a LS3-based Vengeance 418 with all forged internals, TrickFlow 235cc heads, a medium cam (234/238 .602/.604 112 LSA), FAST 92, AR 1-7/8ths headers, etc. I had it tuned for mid-range power and torque. I probably gave away a few hp at the top end, but it was noticably stronger all across the powerband below 5500 rpm. It's making 525 rwhp and 490 fptq.

My car is an '01 Corvette coupe that gets driven only once a week or so on the street and one or two track days a month at VIR. To be honest, I don't know if I'd notice 10-15 hp more or less on the track.

At the drag strip you might notice. On the road course a baby cam works fine. example, we put my stock z06 cam in my setup. it made 500/530. cam in sig added, 566/510. the stock cam was awesome from a low end pull, but died off hard on top but I bet would have worked good come out of corners.

forgot to mention on 19 deg total timing w/stock cam due to compression.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check this link out Michael. You should be good to go with posting a "For Sale" ad in the classifieds. If you are having issues I'd PM a Moderator with this link and see what they can do for you since you meet the requirements.

Car looks great btw. Very clean and a sleeper!!

First Sentence
https://ls1tech.com/forums/6882681-post3.html
Old 04-04-2013, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by djfury05
Check this link out Michael. You should be good to go with posting a "For Sale" ad in the classifieds. If you are having issues I'd PM a Moderator with this link and see what they can do for you since you meet the requirements.

Car looks great btw. Very clean and a sleeper!!

First Sentence
https://ls1tech.com/forums/6882681-post3.html
Thank you Jesse! That is good advice once again.

Sidenote - where the hell do you keep all your spare wheels and tires? I have 3 sets and wife is ready to kill me...
Old 04-04-2013, 05:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Luckily I had a shed out back that keeps most everything out of the way. Otherwise she can suffer I don't care lol.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think having a less restrictive exhaust will get you there.
I added a cut-out and gained 12+hp.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mazzenger
I think having a less restrictive exhaust will get you there.
I added a cut-out and gained 12+hp.
You've got my attention. What was your motor and exhaust setup like before you added the cutout?
Old 04-05-2013, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stang2Goat
Greg thank you for chiming in I have ALWAYS been impressed with your setup on LS1GTO. I damn near memorized the mods in your sig!

I would run 12.5:1 on this motor if I thought I could get away with it on 93. Compression is king. This cam has plenty of overlap but even at 12:1 the motor is a f-ing stump puller on torque thanks to the velocity of the TFS heads and the intake/exhaust setup I have supporting it. I believe we ran 23-24* timing on it on 93 pump without any * of KR.

Have you not been tempted to try a 3" and see what your setup can really do?
Hey, Stang2Goat:

I'm in Afghanistan at the USO.

Short story is yes, I tried the 3.0" Spintech exhaust as well as a GZ Motorsports Vacuum pump on an E85 tune with a 6-degree advance in the camshaft. I then discovered the questionable work the local speed shop did on the camshaft advance. Alas, I'm starting over!

You can't go wrong with a Vacuum Pump. It will help with any blow-by if you increase the compression. Big compression is nice!
Old 04-05-2013, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 408 w/TEA TFS 235s. Compression is about 11:1
My exhaust is as follows:
1 7/8 headers - TSP Y-Pipe - CutOut - Over axle Pipe - Hooker MaxFlow Single In/Single Out Muffler. All is 3" pipe.

Last edited by Mazzenger; 04-05-2013 at 10:07 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-06-2013, 08:01 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
At the drag strip you might notice. On the road course a baby cam works fine. example, we put my stock z06 cam in my setup. it made 500/530. cam in sig added, 566/510.

You went from nice to nasty! How did you make out from a drive ability perspective?

Last edited by ctd; 04-07-2013 at 02:43 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:41 AM
On The Tree

In the interest at keeping everyone updated, here is where I am heading:

From all the research I have done, my catback is the first thing that needs to be upgraded for any further advances in power and rpm. I simply had not paid close enough attention to all of the Corvettes and F-bodies who made the high NA numbers (550-560whp) were all running 3" exhausts. I even found a thread with a C5 LS1 with 241 heads and STOCK cam that picked up a ton of midrange torque everywhere with a decent top end by going to a 3" exhaust and retune. Car already had Kooks 1-3/4" LTs which definitely helped the whole system.

I will duplicate my already successful 2.5" setup with the same parts in a 3" size. 12" Dynomax Bullets and a Magnaflow crossover X unit up front where the short midpipes meet. If I were running 10psi with a D1 hairdryer on the motor I think it would force everything out regardless, but NA relies on plain simple atmosphere and physics, which makes the correctly sized exhaust that much more paramount.

I also PMed the great Tony Mamo to discuss options on a Mamofied Fast 102. Due to the slight complexities in the 102 design with its individual runners, I am not as confident about porting it myself as I was with my 92, and I cannot afford to f**k up a $830 piece of plastic, despite my healthy skills with the Dremel.

In the mean time, both of the above mods are end of the summer. I would like to get my rear diff under control so I can make a few test passes at the track. I have a 3.91 pumpkin on the way with a built posi, and I would like to see what the current motor setup traps so I can monitor any improvements from the gears, exhaust, etc.

That's the nerd in me that wants to be able to measure and quantify all the gains in these parts for this overpriced hobby of ours. But above all, I am tired of pulling large bulky parts and waiting weeks for them to sell. I just want to be able to enjoy driving and racing the bastard again.

My last question is those of you running SD tunes, how were you able to get your setups to pass state inspection?

Texas law for my county does not require sniffer tests, but I have several DTCs stored due to the MAF delete, and the maximum allowable is 1 DTC (or 1 monitor not ready aka "incomplete"), which my EVAP always says not ready.

It's annoying as hell because I have cats and mufflers and have always been compliant but the car has been down for two years (damn near) and has an expired inspection sticker from 2011. I can't enjoy the car until this is resolved.

I even picked up a used LS2 MAF and still have my old donkey d**k intake to put back on the car to let me get an inspection tune. Just a bitch because my tuner is in a whole different county, and I work 7 days a week. If anyone has experience with this, I am all ears, especially since I know there are more radical (and catless) setups than mine floating around on here. :-)

Thanks in advance!

-mcs
Old 04-07-2013, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregory
Stang2Goat:

You can follow the details for my LS2-402 in my signature. Fairly good numbers on 93-octane with 3.73 gears and 2.50" exhaust through cats. Two differences are mine had 250cc heads with 2.10" intake valves and a somewhat larger camshaft with Harland-Sharp 1.8:1 rocker arms. Static compression was about 12.4:1.

Note: The motor is out now as a new LS2-430 with 285cc All-Pro heads is being prepared. In all honesty, I would go with their 330cc heads next time.

- Greg
damn nice number man...CNC'd production heads are quite awesome(That is what was on your 402 right??)
Old 04-08-2013, 03:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't worry about 15rwhp.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

UPDATES FROM 4/8/13...

Good news - Goat passed inspection yesterday! Yahoo!!! My 2-year build earned the seal of approval from the state of TX. It was nerve-racking while I waited.

Had to drive to my tuner, switch intakes (to my stock intake with a K&N cone and a LS2 MAF); upload a mild MAF tune; drive 15 minutes down the road to the county where I live to get Goat inspected, then backpedal to the tuner before he went home for the day so we could put everything back to its proper form (SD tuned no MAF).

It was a f***ing nightmare experience because I didn't get to tuner until 4pm due to my busy work schedule, and rush hour is a bitch in this town. Had to go to 3 different inspection places before I found one who would work with me after 5pm.

My reward came several hours late with some late night misbehavior in the Goat. Older brother was riding shotgun for first time in the new setup, and it was his birthday (41 - wowzers!). On the way home we ran into a 750cc bike with a very eager and entertaining rider. Raced from 70-150 in a remote area (4-lane freeway). The Lazarus Goat stayed with it and only lost by 3 car lengths. :-o We raced twice to verify results.

Car pulls especially hard in 3rd-5th. Trick Flow torque on a stroker is yummy. I can only drive this thing twice a month now because of the legal risks involved...too easy to hit felony speeds in a few short seconds, and the car is most fun at speeds between 40 and 160... That, and everyone wants to be stupid around me when they hear the thing rumbling around. It's nice being unnoticed in the daily driver most days (95 V6 Camry I restored myself).

Significance of all this: brother is the enabler who turned me onto cammed LS cars back 13 years ago. I was in awe of his cammed white '99 Z28 that he built up himself. It was a gawd damned honor to be able to treat him to a ride in a fast car that little brother built from the ground up. He ditched the fast car scene back in 2007, rode modded Busas from 2004-09, and quit cold turkey from 2010 onward. Drives a nice SUV now. He blushed about how nice it was to be thrown back in the seat of a nasty NA car again...

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this 2-pager and offered up support or advice. You guys are what made it possible for me to get this far on the first (serious) try with my max-effort 402 build.

Cheers!

Last edited by Stang2Goat; 04-09-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I wouldn't worry about 15rwhp.
There is a sense of reason to that statement, but it's becoming more a fixation on not being able to rev/make power beyond 6500 that's keeping me up at night for the project. I could have settled/compromised if it could at least spin to 6800, but I am still rpm bound...

That has been an issue ever since I went to a stroker (trying to create the power curve like a stock-cube heads/cam/fast LS2/LS3 produces, which are awesome from 3000-6800+ and trap VERY well in lighter cars).

Also Martin - I have one of your MCs that goes in next week to deal with my crappy clutch/hydraulic issues. Hope it lets me quick-shift the Lazarus Goat again...
Old 04-10-2013, 06:12 AM
Staging Lane

Car pulls especially hard in 3rd-5th. Trick Flow torque on a stroker is yummy.
I have a similar set-up in my C5 and yes, it is quite tasty.

I can only drive this thing twice a month now because of the legal risks involved...too easy to hit felony speeds in a few short seconds, and the car is most fun at speeds between 40 and 160... That, and everyone wants to be stupid around me when they hear the thing rumbling around.
Any road courses near you? You can go as fast as your grip will let you and no gendarmes.

Plus, once you get hooked, you'll have two whole new projects: updating the brakes and suspension.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jcsperson
I have a similar set-up in my C5 and yes, it is quite tasty.

Any road courses near you? You can go as fast as your grip will let you and no gendarmes.

Plus, once you get hooked, you'll have two whole new projects: updating the brakes and suspension.

HA! Already did the brakes and suspension. Just can't discuss it in this thread. Car is being groomed for auto-x and DEs. Have fresh Nitto NT01s and lightweight 17x9" wheels awaiting prep and paint.

Suspension is full poly with BC coilovers that do an amazing job. Ride is very firm but beautifully controlled now.

EBC bluestuff on the way end of this month!
Old 04-10-2013, 04:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a sense of reason to that statement, but it's becoming more a fixation on not being able to rev/make power beyond 6500 that's keeping me up at night for the project. I could have settled/compromised if it could at least spin to 6800, but I am still rpm bound...

That has been an issue ever since I went to a stroker (trying to create the power curve like a stock-cube heads/cam/fast LS2/LS3 produces, which are awesome from 3000-6800+ and trap VERY well in lighter cars).

Also Martin - I have one of your MCs that goes in next week to deal with my crappy clutch/hydraulic issues. Hope it lets me quick-shift the Lazarus Goat again...
I see that a lot, dying off after 6500rpm when the LSL lobe is used on the exhaust like it is in your camshaft profile. On big camshafts like for max effort stock cube cars and especially stroker engines that have a hard time carrying power efficiently past 6500-6800rpm with the long runner efi manifold these cars use I like to use a LXL or Extreme RPM high lift exhaust lobe. Both of these lobes have longer seat to seat duration numbers which increases the amount of overlap at top dead center. This improves exhaust scavenging which really helps carry that power curve out past 7000rpm.

This same principle can in theory be used by improving your exhaust set-up or header design. Or you can have your cake and eat it too by improving your exhaust and by using these exhaust lobes together.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

HA! Already did the brakes and suspension. Just can't discuss it in this thread. Car is being groomed for auto-x and DEs. Have fresh Nitto NT01s and lightweight 17x9" wheels awaiting prep and paint.

Suspension is full poly with BC coilovers that do an amazing job. Ride is very firm but beautifully controlled now.

EBC bluestuff on the way end of this month!
Very cool. Sounds like you're all over it.

Let me know how the EBC pads work out for you. I'm going with Raybestos ST-43s for my next set.

Quick Reply: 402 Stroker Results (came up slightly short) - NA experts step inside