Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

2010 Camaro, Tick built 416 LS3, Mast heads, Maggie 2300

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 01:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2010 Camaro, Tick built 416 LS3, Mast heads, Maggie 2300

Short run down on this car. Customer brought us this car with a busted up motor needing it rebuilt. When we tore it down, 7 of 8 ring lands were busted. Pretty cut and dry, it needed a rebuild.

Customer wanted to do a 416 stroker so we obliged naturally! This engine was built entirely in house other than machining which is done 15 minutes down the road from our shop in beautiful Mount Airy, NC. Jonathan whom is my boss prides himself in building the best engines around and this was no exception. From start to finish this was a Tick Performance project with the cam also being custom specified by myself. The customer wanted an idle you could notice, while still working in perfect harmony with his rather small blower.

Overview of the combination:

-LS3 engine block
- 4.065" Wiseco pistons with coated skirts and tool steel top ring
- Callies 6.125" Compstar H-beam rods
- Callies Compstar 4.00" stroke crankshaft
- Mast Medium Bore 250cc cylinder heads
- Tick Performance Custom 238/250 .615"/.615" 118+6 camshaft
- Roughly 9.2:1 compression
- Ported Magnacharger 2300 peaks at 14psi of boost @ 3000rpm...makes around 7psi@5500rpm (new pulley combo on the way in attempt to keep boost consistent)
- Dynatech 1x7/8" coated headers
- Aftermarket X-pipe with high flow cats
- Aftermarket 3" cat-back exhaust
- 6L80e with 3200rpm Circle D triple disc lock up converter(all pulls were made unlocked)

We've encouraged the customer to order a nice big heat exchanger for his car along with the larger pulley combination to try and reduce IAT's and keep boost more consistent throughout the pull. It will probably lose some torque down low, but will produce a broader power curve.

Dyno Graph SAE:

Dyno Graph STD:

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 05-21-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a great build, Martin! Hard to imagine the off-idle torque produced by the Maggie. Once a few of those quirks are ironed out she'll make more power for sure. Congrats to the owner and keep up the great work guys!
Old 05-21-2013, 01:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good numbers and work Martin.
Auto or Manual?
Old 05-21-2013, 05:49 PM
FormerVendor

Good question Venom, it is a 6L80e so it's pretty impressive that it produced these numbers unlocked as well!
Old 05-21-2013, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 589 Likes on 467 Posts

Damn Martin. LOL. Look at that torque. What is that squealing with the engine idling?Sounds like the PS pump is dry. Did you mistype the CC on the MAST heads?

thanks,
Jim
Old 05-22-2013, 07:26 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doing some good work as usual!!!
Old 05-22-2013, 08:53 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Damn Martin. LOL. Look at that torque. What is that squealing with the engine idling?Sounds like the PS pump is dry. Did you mistype the CC on the MAST heads?

thanks,
Jim
Jim,

That is actually the blower! It's turning some RPM that is for sure! The Mast medium bore heads have a 256cc runner.
Originally Posted by hellbents10
Doing some good work as usual!!!
Thanks TJ! I know you like the PD stuff!
Old 05-23-2013, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

660+ rwtq is just sickeningly awesome...and unlike a ProCharger people wont know it has a supercharger,I mean a low power steering reservoir,until its too late...
Sneaky sneaky ride with a mild sounding cam...
Old 05-24-2013, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Good question Venom, it is a 6L80e so it's pretty impressive that it produced these numbers unlocked as well!

That's even more awesome good work.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:08 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by weldermike27408
660+ rwtq is just sickeningly awesome...and unlike a ProCharger people wont know it has a supercharger,I mean a low power steering reservoir,until its too late...
Sneaky sneaky ride with a mild sounding cam...
Actually, this maggie is LOUD! You can hear this thing whining at idle! We calculated the blower speed and it's in the high 20,000rpm low 30,000rpm range IIRC. It's over the recommended blower rpm though lol.
Originally Posted by venom ws7
That's even more awesome good work.
Yes it is. Hopefully we'll be making some more hp here soon.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Martin,
Then why did you guys decide to go higher than the recommended RPMs Any experience with Edelbrocks 2.3 blower?
Old 05-25-2013, 10:37 AM
FormerVendor

Martin,
Then why did you guys decide to go higher than the recommended RPMs Any experience with Edelbrocks 2.3 blower?
We did not purchase any of these parts for this customer. He purchased all parts himself on his own accord. We did not have any oversight on the blower speed or any parts purchased. We were only responsible for building the engine, the camshaft design, installing a new fuel system and many other labor related tasks.

Had we been involved in the purchasing of said parts, the blower speed would not be where it is now. Thus why the blower speed is now being lowered with pullies we recommended.

Yes we have used the E-force blowers several times. IMO though, with the design of the blower/intake runners on the E-force...most would be dissappointed in the horsepower figure produced. The E-force has the longest intake runner of any PD blower on the market for the LS engine. Thus it makes killer low-end and mid-range power, but falls off hard up top. I would highly recommend to anyone planning to purchase one, or who is already using one to have a camshaft designed to accommodate this short fall.

Blower speed, intake runner length and intake port volume along with exhaust port volume will be the main deciding factors in where these supercharged engines produces peak torque and horsepower, but I can shape the curve in such a way with valve timing to boost top end tremendously.

Since a PD blower by it's own physical nature will produce such massive amounts of low end torque, there is no need in the world for the camshaft and its correlating valve events to be concerned with or help produce more low end power. So, what I do is focus on shifting that massive low end torque up to a higher rpm. The further we can carry torque into the rpm range the more horsepower we can make.

With my PD blower cams, I will open the exhaust valve very early. By opening the exhaust valve earlier, cylinder pressure from the combustion event is released into the exhaust port sooner. At lower engine speeds(2500-4500rpm) this will cause a loss in torque as we are no longer using the cylinder pressure created from the combustion event to drive the piston downwards. In a perfect world we'd want to hold the exhaust valve closed as long as possible. The only problem with that is, if that happens...the exhaust port does not have enough time to evacuate the cylinder at higher engine speeds(5000-7000rpm). This leaves spent hydrocarbons in the chamber/cylinder taking up valuable space that could of been occupied by a fresh air/fuel charge. This will cause a sharp drop in power after horsepower peaks.

Opening the exhaust valve earlier does have many upsides though, especially in this combination and other PD combinations...even N/A, turbo, nitrous and blower combinations. It allows the torque that is made at peak torque to be carried further into the rpm range because the piston has a longer time to "blow down" evacuating spent exhaust gasses. On an engine with a weak exhaust port this is needed. In a nitrous engine that will see 400-500 even 600+ hp worth of jet, getting all that spent exhaust gas/hydrocarbons out produced by such an oxidizer as nitrous is extremly important. If this is not done in a heavy nitrous engine the tune-up can be seriously tampered by spent gasses and hurt the engine. Since nitrous also makes such massive torque when it is activated, opening the exhaust valve sooner helps stretch that torque out throughout the rpm range and make more horsepower up top.

So in this combo though, opening the exhaust valve earlier by adding exhaust duration and widening the LSA will shift some of that massive low end to the mid range and up top. Helping to hang that torque produced out further into the rpm range making more top end horsepower. I will also close the intake valve later on combinations such as PD blowers to move the point in which peak torque and horsepower occur higher into the rpm range. Same basic principle as opening the exhaust valve sooner, but there are other effects that closing the intake valve later or earlier have that don't happen with the exhaust valve opening event being later or earlier.

I also keep overlap to as much of a minimum as I can with a PD blower. The smaller the blower and engine, the less overlap is used. Since these small blowers are doing everything that they can to produce boost and keep it consistent, adding overlap that is going to bleed cylinder pressure off isn't going to help the combination much.

The other main thing with overlap and superchargers is the pressure differential that exists within a supercharged engine between pressure in the intake runner vs. pressure in the exhaust runner. In a N/A engine pressure is equal on both the intake runner and exhaust runner at 14.7psi=1 bar of atmospheric pressure. Turbo engine will either be equal or a greater pressure existing in the exhaust rather than the intake. Drive pressure or "back pressure" as people like to call it is what causes that.

With a supercharged engine that is running 14psi as this combination is, there is 28.7psi present in the intake runner, but only 14.7psi present in the exhaust runner. This inherently causes scavenging to increase exponentially versus a N/A engine. The pressure differential across the face of the intake and exhaust valve during overlap in a supercharged engine is so great that large amounts of overlap are not needed to increase the scavenging of the intake runner. High low lift exhaust flow exasperates this issue as the more the exhaust port flows at .000"-.100" valve lift(this amount of valve lift occurs at TDC which is also where and when overlap occurs) the higher the scavenging effect is on the intake runner. If the exhaust port is large this will also cause for a higher scavenging effect to occur. So because of the pressure differential that exists only in a supercharged engine overlap must be managed and used wisely so that over-scavenging does not occur. Over-scavenging will cause a drop in power across the rpm range and especially at peak.

Sorry for the long spiel of a rant and if anyone is still with me after reading all of that I hope that you are wiser for the better now.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 06-07-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the input. I've read the the eddy is faily quiet, can the Maggie be made quiet too without sacificing too much power?

thanks,
Jim
Old 05-25-2013, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Very nice! Wanting to throw a 416 in my Camaro soon.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:24 PM
FormerVendor

Question

Thanks for the input. I've read the the eddy is faily quiet, can the Maggie be made quiet too without sacificing too much power?

thanks,
Jim
For sure as they are quiet for the most part. This one is pullied to beyond the max thus the sound that is present at idle. They're not quiet once you jump on the throttle though and nothing can cover that sound up, especially one being spun halfway decently.

Originally Posted by 6D9 Matt
Very nice! Wanting to throw a 416 in my Camaro soon.
They need the added torque to get moving that is for sure.

The customer was wanting to put nitrous on this car as well to hit the 800rwhp mark which should put it well over 800rwtq. I believe this car has already run in the high 6's in street trim with the stock L99. On the spray it will go low 6's for sure. Will be one nasty street car.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Is that a breather filter where the oil cap is normally located? Because of the crank pressure? How do you keep oil from splattering all over the engine? When I had my old Maxima turboed at 8psi I had 2 breather filters on the front and back and still wasnt enough. Oil splattered all over the engine....had to take off the crossover tubes between the VCs and put an oil catch can with filter there. No more splattering.

Quick Reply: 2010 Camaro, Tick built 416 LS3, Mast heads, Maggie 2300