Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Stock vs Granatelli wires

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
I'm sure GMS makes a quality set of wires but its their false claims is what I have a problem with along with paying $200 for wires when theres many more reasonable options. I got a set of Taylors that were $70 & although they didn't advertise a hp gain have worked great since I bought them 5 yrs ago.
Aside from OEM replacement wires you get in a parts store, I dont think ive seen a single brand of aftermarket wires that HASNT advertised horsepower increases. On the front of my taylor thundervolt 8.5's box it says 25 additional horsepower. From a marketing perspective its hard to not use that tactic to sell your product seeing as how there are so many gullible people that dont understand how spark plug wires work that would believe it, they even have a dyno sheet on the back of the box showing a comparison between stock and their wires, which shows just how credible dyno numbers are when your skewing them to your advantage for marketing.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I refrain from putting a competitors info or links directly in a sponsors link. Couple points I am directly pasting here. If anyone wants the actual article I will provide via PM.

"Probably the most efficient transfer of spark energy is made with solid core spark plug wire."

"The problem with solid core wire is that it emits large amounts of RFI (radio frequency interference) which affects radios, and onboard electronic systems in cars. When current passes through a wire, a magnetic field is formed. If the current flow is switched on and off rapidly as with an ignition system, RFI is caused by the magnetic field collapse"

"When manufacturers began installing radios in cars, a solution was needed to reduce the RFI"

"This reduction of current flow also results in a weaker spark at the plugs. An internal combustion engine operates on the principal of air and fuel burning in a cylinder and the expanding gases driving down the piston. That's right, the fuel burns, not explodes as some believe. The hotter the spark in the cylinder, the better the air/fuel ignition and better chance of complete combustion."

"Some manufacturers advertise very low resistances, which when conducting D.C. current (direct current) is good. However ignition systems also generate A.C. (alternating current) voltages which traverse the outer layer of the conductor and is less affected by resistance."

"As touched on before, the hotter the spark the better the combustion. This process can be associated with a better transfer of the spark energy from it's source."

Misconception #1 "Any spark is adequate for combustion since it only needs to explode the fuel" - not true. Fuel is meant to burn in a cylinder, not explode (fuel only explodes under such cases as pinging or detonation... both of which are quite harmful to an engine). A weak spark may start the combustion process but since there is a finite amount of time for the mixture to burn, prior to the exhaust valve opening, a better start to the combustion process will aid in a more complete burn"

Last edited by LIL SS; 09-16-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by spawne32
Aside from OEM replacement wires you get in a parts store, I dont think ive seen a single brand of aftermarket wires that HASNT advertised horsepower increases. On the front of my taylor thundervolt 8.5's box it says 25 additional horsepower. From a marketing perspective its hard to not use that tactic to sell your product seeing as how there are so many gullible people that dont understand how spark plug wires work that would believe it, they even have a dyno sheet on the back of the box showing a comparison between stock and their wires, which shows just how credible dyno numbers are when your skewing them to your advantage for marketing.
Yes, lots of gullible people that buy into marketing claims.

Originally Posted by LIL SS
I refrain from putting a competitors info or links directly in a sponsors link. Couple points I am directly pasting here. If anyone wants the actual article I will provide via PM.

"Probably the most efficient transfer of spark energy is made with solid core spark plug wire."

"The problem with solid core wire is that it emits large amounts of RFI (radio frequency interference) which affects radios, and onboard electronic systems in cars. When current passes through a wire, a magnetic field is formed. If the current flow is switched on and off rapidly as with an ignition system, RFI is caused by the magnetic field collapse"

"When manufacturers began installing radios in cars, a solution was needed to reduce the RFI"

"This reduction of current flow also results in a weaker spark at the plugs. An internal combustion engine operates on the principal of air and fuel burning in a cylinder and the expanding gases driving down the piston. That's right, the fuel burns, not explodes as some believe. The hotter the spark in the cylinder, the better the air/fuel ignition and better chance of complete combustion."

"Some manufacturers advertise very low resistances, which when conducting D.C. current (direct current) is good. However ignition systems also generate A.C. (alternating current) voltages which traverse the outer layer of the conductor and is less affected by resistance."

"As touched on before, the hotter the spark the better the combustion. This process can be associated with a better transfer of the spark energy from it's source."

Misconception #1 "Any spark is adequate for combustion since it only needs to explode the fuel" - not true. Fuel is meant to burn in a cylinder, not explode (fuel only explodes under such cases as pinging or detonation... both of which are quite harmful to an engine). A weak spark may start the combustion process but since there is a finite amount of time for the mixture to burn, prior to the exhaust valve opening, a better start to the combustion process will aid in a more complete burn"
What about all the LEVs & SULEVs? How is this possibly being achieved with a factory ignition system that is claimed to "an incomplete burn" in comparison to these solid core 0 ohm wires? Seems like there would be a rich code set no? Also maybe some misfires too!
Old 09-16-2015, 11:19 PM

Lets think about that for a second.

Lower RPM equates to much more time to burn.
Think about how dynamic the computer is with its compensation during closed loop. O2 sensors providing feedback, Short trim fuel cells compensating and averaging to Long trim fuel cells.
Look at factory injector timing vs valve events, why are they firing an injector at a closed intake valve?
Old 09-19-2015, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lets think about that for a second.

Lower RPM equates to much more time to burn.
Think about how dynamic the computer is with its compensation during closed loop. O2 sensors providing feedback, Short trim fuel cells compensating and averaging to Long trim fuel cells.
Look at factory injector timing vs valve events, why are they firing an injector at a closed intake valve?
Dunno why you keep grasping at straws here when there are over a dozen posts in this thread that have already proven you wrong and provided plenty of evidence showing that the horsepower claims are bogus. Every single performance spark plug wire manufacturer on the planet markets the same claim of additional horsepower, none of them more credible then the other. The fact that you keep going on about one particular brand being more credible then the rest is only highlighting just how gullible you are to their marketing.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:54 AM

Your comprehension skills definitely lack. Please tell me where I have said anything different than these wires made more power than old/new gm wires...

Your claim however was no aftermarket wire will make more power than a new stock wire.

Get it?
Old 09-19-2015, 03:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If the factory stuff is good enough, why am I spending so much money on
aftermarket stuff?

And really a couple hundred bucks to try and see if you get a little more anything,
is not a bad deal.
easy install and something new to look at, if you get more anything, its a bargain,
I'm sure everybody here has thrown away more money than that on something they get
nothing out of. Good Day
Old 09-19-2015, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your comprehension skills definitely lack. Please tell me where I have said anything different than these wires made more power than old/new gm wires...

Your claim however was no aftermarket wire will make more power than a new stock wire.

Get it?
beating a dead horse, only comprehension skills that are failing here are yours, try to understand that the laws of physics don't change because you paid more for your spark plug wires then everyone else.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by spawne32
beating a dead horse, only comprehension skills that are failing here are yours, try to understand that the laws of physics don't change because you paid more for your spark plug wires then everyone else.
You are missing the fact there are multiple things going on within a wire. A single micro view of physics is not allowing you to see things at a macro level. Go sit with some EE's and discuss all the intricacies that are in play together.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:38 PM
12 Second Club

What are you considering the difference is between "burning" and "explosion"? I looked up just for a definition of explosion:

"An explosion is a rapid increase in volume and release of energy in an extreme manner, usually with the generation of high temperatures and the release of gases."

So let's see, rapid increase in volume, check. Release (Or transfer) of energy, check. Generating High temperatures, check. Releasing gases, check.

Looks like I get explosions that happen in my cylinders. What about you guys?
Old 11-23-2015, 11:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SAVINGS UP TO 30% WHILE SHOPPING @ GRANATELLI MOTOR SPORTS!!!!

Starting Friday, November 20th 2015, Granatelli Motor Sports is giving you discounts of 30% on priced items when shopping on our website. From Friday November 20th, 2015 until Monday November 30th, 2015, online guests will see their prices slashed when items are added to their cart. No discount codes necessary! Just add the items to your cart and watch the savings pile up!

Customers who order $300 or more worth of products between November 20 - November 30 will get a FREE "Growing Up Granatelli" T-Shirt:

Click here to start shopping one our website

Our online guests who frequent our Ebay Outlet Store will see continued savings! Special discounts will be applied throughout the days of November 20th -November 30th.

>Click here to get to our Ebay Outlet and browse the inventory!

The savings don't stop there, our customers who follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram will get more deals! Send us a direct message / private message about a product you're interested in during Thanksgiving weekend and we'll quote you prices so LOW we can't list it online.

To like us on Facebook, click the following icon:

and click the "Like" button.

To Start following us on Twitter, click the following icon:

and click the "Follow" button.

To Start following us on Instagram click the following icon:

and click the "Follow" button.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:57 PM
FormerVendor

Final day for 25% off all web purchases
Old 04-20-2016, 06:18 PM
FormerVendor

Take the Granatelli Challenge

Buy any Granatelli wire set if you are not satisfied in the First 60 days get your money back

Old 04-23-2016, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Burning and exploding are essentially the same thing, save one variable: the speed/duration of the burn. If oem is good enough, why do you guys spend any money and effort for more and why be on the board? It is entirely plausible and proven to see gand from making your ignition system better. Do manufacturers exagg er ate or use their best results as normal? Probably but that doesn't equate to zero gains. If you're scrounging for every last pony, there are some to be found in ignition, just not as many as the old days.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I love these types of advertisements, comparing old, worn out products with brand new products and saying the increase in power is due to the design of the new product instead of actually comparing 2 new products. Its like taking a car with 10 year old bald dry rotted street tires to the track and then putting on brand new bias ply slicks and saying "our tires dropped 2 seconds from the 1/4 mile time! It will do that on any car! Buy our ****!"

Not even going to start on the stupid MAF advertisements...
Old 04-25-2016, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
I love these types of advertisements, comparing old, worn out products with brand new products and saying the increase in power is due to the design of the new product instead of actually comparing 2 new products. Its like taking a car with 10 year old bald dry rotted street tires to the track and then putting on brand new bias ply slicks and saying "our tires dropped 2 seconds from the 1/4 mile time! It will do that on any car! Buy our ****!"

Not even going to start on the stupid MAF advertisements...
Old 04-25-2016, 05:21 PM
FormerVendor

Well good thing that all Granatelli MotorSports videos for our wires the cars on at most 2 years old and probably have less then 10k miles on them couldn't be that worn out
Old 05-11-2016, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any thoughts on when your next sale may be? any thoughts on estimated rwhp gains if i switch from my current firewires to your zero ohm wires ? does it effect the radio at all? also estimated gains from adding your coil packs on my 99 ls1 w/stock coils? thank you for your time.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:15 PM
FormerVendor

We will be having a sale the week the Indy 500 the sale starts May 23-31
Old 05-27-2016, 01:19 PM
FormerVendor

Name:  memorial16jojo_zps7xt5uwkn.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  185.2 KB

Quick Reply: Stock vs Granatelli wires