Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

T-ReX = 383 RWHP, 361 RWTQ -- What's Wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jerflash
what lifters and springs did you use with theis cam?
Stock lifters and Patriot Performance dual springs and titanium retainers.

Originally Posted by Brian2001SS
Josh, it could be the Dyno. Come down to Atlanta and run it at Dyno Lab and compare results. You could be supprised at the difference.
Yeah, I'm still debating whether or not to make the trek to Atlanta. Getting dynoed is definitely on list if I do go.

Originally Posted by ta12sec
go drve it put it in 3rd at about 30 and put it on the wood, does the tach jump up and the car not move? How many miles are on it, did you have the car tuned? what kid of gas were you running. how olds your fuel filter, plugs, wires air filter got a plastic bag in it?
I'll give that a try and report the results. The car has around 39K miles and has been tuned. Running 93 octane, fuel filter has probably never been replaced (I haven't replaced it), plugs are about a year old, but looked fine when they were pulled to put the T-ReX in, stock wires. No bag that I'm aware of.

Josh
Old 05-07-2004, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Was this done on a mustang dyno maybe? Take the cats off the TRex likes free flow exhaust.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dyno in Atlanta may not give real numbers as well, but at least they are on the high side . Mine so far have been 327 stock, 390 cam and headers (no air filter), and hell, can't wait to see with the news heads.

Dynos are like women, they all put out different. lol
Old 05-07-2004, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wesley SS
Was this done on a mustang dyno maybe? Take the cats off the TRex likes free flow exhaust.
No, it was a DynoJet.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow thats really low then. I was there when Smokin01TA dynoed his car with a stock tune and it put up more than that but that was with bullets.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like Josh said he started off with 365rwhp (i think, correct me if i'm wrong) and we gave it more fuel and a little more timing and got him to 379rwhp then put on a ported MAF that I had laying around, copied the MAF table I had for it into his tune and that got him to 383rwhp. After that the car just seemed to not do much more. It could have used a little more fuel on the bottom end which we're gonna fix soon but that shouldn't affect his top end. Also for those thinking the dyno is low it's possible but keep in mind my H/C A4 car put down basically 400/415 30 minutes before we ran his car on the same dyno which seems right in line for an A4.

-Sly
Old 05-08-2004, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Who cares about the #'s. The torque curve is flat and looks good to me. Take it to the track.
Old 05-08-2004, 02:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok josh, a few things that are killing you,
#1 the cats. they are eating up a good bit.
#2 i had a ported throttle body.
#3 the car gained 10rwhp with true duals. the cam hates to be choaked
#4 you aren't running optimal springs. the cranes carry out the best, even better than the comps which cost more. not to sure about the patriots, but they dyno graph dont carry out to well so im not liking them already.
#5 i make peak torque at 4700-4800rpms. and hp peaks at 7,000
hope this helps.
i would say you have at least 15rwhp or better going to a true dual with no cats
Old 05-08-2004, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Do not put these cams in cars with cats, and restrictive exhausts. Easy 25-30 hp threw a cutout and lose the cats. Been there done that wayy before the Trex. cam only car went from 395 to 420 doing that. Way to much exhaust restriction i think, probably why the torque curve stopped climbing, its choking it
Old 05-08-2004, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
Do not put these cams in cars with cats, and restrictive exhausts. Easy 25-30 hp threw a cutout and lose the cats. Been there done that wayy before the Trex. cam only car went from 395 to 420 doing that. Way to much exhaust restriction i think, probably why the torque curve stopped climbing, its choking it
So you guys really think the exhuast is causing the problem? I figured I may be losing 10 RWHP--15 tops--since the LM is about as free flowing as they come.

Well, maybe it's time I make the move to true duals.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 05-08-2004, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Josh
So you guys really think the exhuast is causing the problem? I figured I may be losing 10 RWHP--15 tops--since the LM is about as free flowing as they come.

Thanks,
Josh
Josh I agree with Smokin about the springs. Also get some TR-6 plugs. Third whenever I put the plate in my Borla it kills the hell out of my power. These cams HATE restriction.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Josh

Thanks,
Josh
with a wide open 3" off road y pipe i lost 10rwhp from true duals. you have cats and a full exhaust so you will gain alot.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soundengineer

and I think really 440+ is attainable with good heads..
that cam is too big for stock heads...the stock heads will not support enough air to get real power out of it...
Please stop adding to this thread. That cam was designed for stock heads which are more than enough to support the power of it.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:31 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was just thinking about the cam specs issue....
havent most people had to put notches in their pistons or fly cut for the t-rex??
Its like a .614 lift.... If you didnt have to do that...you might have not gotten a t-rex in the box it came in...and stock heads and a choking exhaust will rob you of 20+ hp on that cam...
that cam is so big it needs a lot of air.... have you done any intake porting...MAF/TB free ram air mod...you could easily gain 15-20 hp there if you havent done any of that

really the combo of intake and exhaust shouldl get you around the average #'s for the t-rex
Old 05-08-2004, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

havent most people had to put notches in their pistons or fly cut for the t-rex??
Its like a .614 lift.... If you didnt have to do that...you might have not gotten a t-rex in the box it came in...and stock heads and a choking exhaust will rob you of 20+ hp on that cam...
that cam is so big it needs a lot of air.... have you done any intake porting...MAF/TB free ram air mod...you could easily gain 15-20 hp there if you havent done any of that

really the combo of intake and exhaust shouldl get you around the average #'s for the t-rex
Free ram air has nothing to do with dyno numbers dude. I have seen no one need to flycut for the trex so far.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:58 PM
TECH Veteran

no one has flycut for this cam including me unless they have shaved heads, this cam was designed for stock head and it works fine if you have the rite combo for it to makes it power. stock heads choke any cam, but is was desigined to pull as much out of them as it can. and you would gain a hell of alot more than 20 lil hp with a set of heads. decent heads would pick up over 40rwhp with this cam. im willing to bet on this.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:00 PM
I can shift faster than you.

Josh, this cam really needs a very free flowing exhaust setup. We finished up a TReX install on a customer's car last week. It pulled a disappointing 386rwhp (through an A4, Yank 4400, 3:73s). The had FLPs w/ cats and a wide-open Borla. By simply removing the cats and y-pipe and running the off-road pipe extensions, the car pulled 416rwhp. This was with the stock crank pulley.

I would also pull the car to atleast 6600 on the dyno. You are leaving a few hp on the table there.

Good luck with your setup. If you have any other questions/concerns, send me a PM or email.

Jason
Old 05-08-2004, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jason99T/A
Josh, this cam really needs a very free flowing exhaust setup. We finished up a TReX install on a customer's car last week. It pulled a disappointing 386rwhp (through an A4, Yank 4400, 3:73s). The had FLPs w/ cats and a wide-open Borla. By simply removing the cats and y-pipe and running the off-road pipe extensions, the car pulled 416rwhp. This was with the stock crank pulley.

I would also pull the car to atleast 6600 on the dyno. You are leaving a few hp on the table there.

Good luck with your setup. If you have any other questions/concerns, send me a PM or email.

Jason
Wow! That makes me feel a whole lot better. I'm definitely going to have to lose the cats and run it again.

Josh
Old 05-08-2004, 03:10 PM
I can shift faster than you.

I think that will help quite a bit Josh. Let us know how it works out for you.

Jason
Old 05-08-2004, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
no one has flycut for this cam including me

I'm pretty sure I have to cut mine. I have a Rollmaster adjustable timing set on the way from TSP. And since I don't know how to degree in a cam, I'm gonna have a local shop do it for me. BTW, the dot to dot thing did not work for my T-ReX cam. The broken valve was my fuckup for not being gentle enough.

#5 exhaust valve...part of it anyways.

#6 exhaust valve

the rest of #5 exhaust vavle

Last edited by AustinL911; 05-08-2004 at 04:00 PM.

Quick Reply: T-ReX = 383 RWHP, 361 RWTQ -- What's Wrong?