Old 07-23-2014, 05:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts

Op as mentioned do a tune up on the ol gal
Old 07-23-2014, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98MysticGreen
Id love to have some of that Koolaid you be drinking I dont know anyone nor have seen anyone here in arizona dyno a stock 98-02 trans am or camaro and put down 300 rwhp lol where on earth are you getting this info from ?
I think there are more than a few LS1's that dyno very well. Factory freak LS1's are common, which makes them less freak than not though. But, MOST LS1's dyno as you mentioned. Especially here in Southern AZ.

I hate the DA's here in Tucson. Even on a cold dry day it's over 3K DA. Annoying. Phoenix does fare much better, between 1500-3000 ft DA better depending on the day. I've seen DA's in Phoenix get down to about 1,000 and in Tucson the lowest I've seen was 2,400. The worst I've seen in Tucson is over 7K (right now it's 6868 ft DA).

Originally Posted by KrisR
I was there at Car Craft, parked right in front of the dyno. I didn't happen to see your car up on there, but I may have been walking around or something.

The dyno is a Dynojet mounted on a trailer. It's the old Andy Wicks 'Dynotune' setup. Andy sold it last year to this company called Powerhouse. The numbers they were giving out were STD corrected, just FYI.

Can you post a picture of the graph? Could be that the low numbers are attributed to the stock MAF being faulty or dirty (very common on these), and/or a bad tune in the pcm if it was tuned previously by someone.

I know a couple local guys in the tuning field that could fix you up if you're interested.
Ouch, so on a generous Dyno with the best correction factor? OP, get that thing tuned up. Check Compression while you're at it.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 98MysticGreen
Im not saying its not possible but people on here make it seem every single bone stock 98-02 puts down 300 hp at wheels when fly starts at 305 lol.
The only LS1s that only make 305 at the flywheel are ones that have something wrong with them. GM under rated the engines to sell add on "ram air" packages that did nothing and make the Corvette look better on paper. This is a well known fact. Unless you think the Corvette exhaust manifolds are worth 40+hp over the f body manifolds, I'm not sure why you doubt this.

Don't assume Dynojet = generous dyno. The last Dynojet I saw used was hurting feelings bad. There was a 243 headed mid size cam full bolt on Fbody with manual trans that made under 400rwhp. The dyno was a consistent ~30-35rwhp low for every car we strapped down.

OP: your dyno graph looks very rough for a smoothing 5 graph correction. I would start by checking plugs and wires, but would definitely lean to something being not quite right. I've also seen a good number of stock cars with messed up cams or bent pushrods and weak valvesprings but those are going to be much more difficult to find and repair so start with the easy stuff.

Last edited by thunderstruck507; 07-24-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
The only LS1s that only make 305 at the flywheel are ones that have something wrong with them. GM under rated the engines to sell add on "ram air" packages that did nothing and make the Corvette look better on paper. This is a well known fact. Unless you think the Corvette exhaust manifolds are worth 40+hp over the f body manifolds, I'm not sure why you doubt this.

Don't assume Dynojet = generous dyno. The last Dynojet I saw used was hurting feelings bad. There was a 243 headed mid size cam full bolt on Fbody with manual trans that made under 400rwhp. The dyno was a consistent ~30-35rwhp low for every car we strapped down.

OP: your dyno graph looks very rough for a smoothing 5 graph correction. I would start by checking plugs and wires, but would definitely lean to something being not quite right. I've also seen a good number of stock cars with messed up cams or bent pushrods and weak valvesprings but those are going to be much more difficult to find and repair so start with the easy stuff.

I see what you mean about the power level being inconsistent. I will definitely had to tune her up.

if anyone has a pic of there dyno sheet. could you post it please?

thanks again for all the info guys!
Old 07-24-2014, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bullit98formula
I see what you mean about the power level being inconsistent. I will definitely had to tune her up.

if anyone has a pic of there dyno sheet. could you post it please?

thanks again for all the info guys!
Here's one from Drag times. Not much info other than 2002 Camaro SS bone stock (unknown trans - probably an M6). It looks almost identical to yours, but 25 hp higher across the board. This graph is from a dynojet and SAE corrected smoothing at 5.

On a side note, I'm wondering how it actually drives. With the curves looking so damn similar and the power drop equal across the entire RPM band, I think the dyno operator had the RPM's calibrated incorrectly. Are you an M6? Was it in 4th?

Old 07-24-2014, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

Also keep in mind those flowmaster's tend to choke up more than other performance mufflers.. I bet if you dumpped those you would be up atleast 15hp...
Old 07-25-2014, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hrcslam
Here's one from Drag times. Not much info other than 2002 Camaro SS bone stock (unknown trans - probably an M6). It looks almost identical to yours, but 25 hp higher across the board. This graph is from a dynojet and SAE corrected smoothing at 5.

On a side note, I'm wondering how it actually drives. With the curves looking so damn similar and the power drop equal across the entire RPM band, I think the dyno operator had the RPM's calibrated incorrectly. Are you an M6? Was it in 4th?

I actually have the automatic 4 speed.... (couldn't find one that had a 6 speed I trusted).... it was done in 3rd gear.... there was no type of air flow hooked up to the car to imitate movement.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tonypaul
Also keep in mind those flowmaster's tend to choke up more than other performance mufflers.. I bet if you dumpped those you would be up atleast 15hp...
I've heard this before... I'm more of a Magna Flow guy... I will be doing exhaust next summer...
Old 07-25-2014, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507

Couldn't agree more with this. Last Dynojet I was on put me at 410 rwhp n/a, but I can run with cars of similar weight and gearing that have dynoed around 500 rwhp. Go figure that one lol
Old 07-26-2014, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

Some good advice in here but being the guy said it was a new motor I would be suspicious. I know of two guys here locally that bought ls1 cars with new motors that ended up being 5.3 truck motors with ls1 intakes on them. I would check your head casting number and confirm you have an aluminum block. That power wouldn't be far off what a 5.3 would put down.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01SSRMS
Some good advice in here but being the guy said it was a new motor I would be suspicious. I know of two guys here locally that bought ls1 cars with new motors that ended up being 5.3 truck motors with ls1 intakes on them. I would check your head casting number and confirm you have an aluminum block. That power wouldn't be far off what a 5.3 would put down.
I thought the same thing. I'm working on getting the vin so I can run it at work.

I know he paid $1200 for a used long block, ( I have the paper work).

I know what the prices of a used long block would be for both a LS1 and a 5.3 or a 5.7 gm motor, and they are both off. He did build it in 07, so prices could have been different at the time.

When I get the info needed I will post it.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

27X is a little low but considering the climate, auto?, no fans, no info on the mechanical condition, it's not surprising. You would be surprised what hot IAT (actual or heat soaked) temps can do to dyno numbers.

The old engine in my 99 TA basically stock in sludged up condition only put down about 289 with a dyno tune in 2nd gear. After a 98mm lid and 85 mm Maf only made 296. Car ran a 13.4@105 w/ 2.1. Corrected time was 13.1@108. I've seen quite a few M6 cars pull 340-350 with bolt ons on this dyno.

Quick Reply: Ran my 98 Formula on the Dyno at CarCraft