Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

FAST 92/92 VS Stock TB/LS1 intake Gains (M6) ect...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 11:25 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteboy2k
I would consider Tony Mamo's new heads as well. They look awesome and have always performed well. His customer service is excellent and will talk with you on the phone about any concerns. I'm sure Ed has worked with AFR's before and these are better. I'd at least compare a few sets of heads before making a final decision.
He has. I ran AFR 205's with my last EDC cam. Paul Bell is doing a 383 with AFR 230's and a custom spec'd EDC cam.

He's well versed in them, as well as the Masts.

I know for a fact when I brought it up to him before, his exact words were "Mast all the way!"
Old 03-02-2015, 11:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds great, like noted, just take your time & assess all options before you buy.

The only car I know of with MAST heads is a race car so I'm sure they're good.

Keep us updated!
Old 03-02-2015, 12:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
You are talking about the MAST cathedral port heads and not the MAST LS3 small bore heads, correct? If they are what Ed suggests, and he's going to be the one specing the cam, then I wouldn't second guess it.
Yes, MAST cathedral small bore. The Ed FTI hellion cam is already in my car. I had a hard time contacting him. He personally recommended the MASTs to me. Just looking for everyones opinion due to the fact that I cant find many people on TECH using them.

Mike @ New Era also agrees with Ed. I'm just taking the necessary steps before I blow my wad lol

Last edited by scotty2000ss; 03-10-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

Smile Just to clear things up guys

Scott,

Curious - Why did you choose the Hellion camshaft for what appears to be a basically mild dual purpose combination? That grind is usually run at the track more than a daily driver. Have you run this car at the track yet? If so, what did it run?

You'll need more compression and some cylinder head work for it to shine. The cam was originally developed to run in naturally aspirated classes where most ran the old Trex grind. It was very successful as the guys that ran it were quicker/faster than the Trex. If you want to take full advantage of its design, at a minimum you need a fully ported 243 head, more compression and even a ported FAST. It does like gear too. If you can't obtain a good set of 799/243 castings, the most power producing head would be the small bore MAST cathedral heads. We've made over 510 RWHP with those heads and the StreetSweeper so with the Hellion, it'll make even more.

Ed
Old 03-02-2015, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Scott, I'm seriously considering going with a custom EDC Hellion cam for my WS6, pulling my AI Dart/RHS fully CNC'd heads, milling the **** out of them, fly-cutting, and running an aftermarket intake (FAST 102mm, new MSD, or new Vararam) with a NW 102mm TB. If I do this, I'll contact Ed and have him do me up a custom Hellion cam using the Hellion profile, but design the cam around the flow numbers of my heads.

I think if you go with the MAST heads, maximize your compression, and gear accordingly, you'll be golden.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 409 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
He has. I ran AFR 205's with my last EDC cam. Paul Bell is doing a 383 with AFR 230's and a custom spec'd EDC cam.

He's well versed in them, as well as the Masts.

I know for a fact when I brought it up to him before, his exact words were "Mast all the way!"
Just for clarification the AFR 205 was/is a great head that I designed over a decade ago in 2004 (literally). While it holds it's own even today, it was superseded/replaced in 2010 when I came out with the 2nd gen version of that product line and that particular product grew a little in size (the V2 version was 210 cc).

The new MMS line Im in the process of launching right now (Mamo Motorsports), now incorporates all my latest and greatest design elements and features a level of execution that will impress anyone who decides to take the valves out and do some rooting around in there. Some stuff is obvious....some not so obvious (and that's the best stuff!) but I assure you it will bring the level of performance up a notch or two from the previous AFR cathedral heads I have designed in the past.

While you can either look at my new offerings as a 3rd design revision of the AFR product I launched in 2004, or simply a new clean sheet design first launched now but my own company, either way it cant be compared or associated with anything that already exists as its a completely new product and I'm confident you guys will be impressed when independent results start rolling in.....especially with the guys that took the time to compliment the heads with the right valvetrain, induction, and exhaust to really allow them to shine.

The first wave of 220's are shipping in the next 1-2 weeks....I will be building a 347 with a pair of them and hitting the engine dyno soon as well. Will report those figures and likely include video of all the testing as soon as its complete.

If any of you have any questions surrounding my new product launch feel free to PM, email me, or pick up the phone. If your writing in I prefer email as its easier and more efficient to respond to.

Regards,
Tony

PS....It goes without saying that having the ability to handle some of the features of this head exactly how I wanted (and for the 1st time having my name on the end pad of the head) that I was looking to hit it out of the park with this new product line. Most who know me know how OCD I am about all the details and and how I strive for perfection.....trust me these heads wont disappoint.

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 03-02-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:05 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have absolutely not a single DOUBT that the new heads you're coming out with are going to knock it outta the park, Tony.

It's going to put some heat on the competition I bet. I can't wait to see what they do.

Even if my 205's were "old" technology they impressed the **** out of me

Are all the various vendors going to be carrying them as well?
Old 03-02-2015, 04:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Scott, I'm seriously considering going with a custom EDC Hellion cam for my WS6, pulling my AI Dart/RHS fully CNC'd heads, milling the **** out of them, fly-cutting, and running an aftermarket intake (FAST 102mm, new MSD, or new Vararam) with a NW 102mm TB. If I do this, I'll contact Ed and have him do me up a custom Hellion cam using the Hellion profile, but design the cam around the flow numbers of my heads.

I think if you go with the MAST heads, maximize your compression, and gear accordingly, you'll be golden.
I hope so. It's nice to actually plan out the upgrades and have an understanding of what's going on. I had no clue last summer.

This won't happen over night for me. I'm even considering selling my fast 92. If this new MSD Atomic Intake does good, then maybe I'll get it port matched to the MAST heads.

Go big or go home right?
Old 03-02-2015, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I have absolutely not a single DOUBT that the new heads you're coming out with are going to knock it outta the park, Tony.

It's going to put some heat on the competition I bet. I can't wait to see what they do.

Even if my 205's were "old" technology they impressed the **** out of me

Are all the various vendors going to be carrying them as well?
I'm with you and Tony is also the 1st person I think of when it comes to plastic manifold porting and matching to heads with real world data. I'm sure we'll get good comparisons between the fast 102 and the Msd as well and they'll be alot of interested folks. I have a max effort cam-only setup purpose built for the drag strip so I'm looking for every little bit if I decide to do heads.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:40 AM
Teching In

My ls6 cts v made 392 whp/378 lb ft with 92/92 and headers... HP seems kinda low, but wtf where is the torque? My old 02 ls1 auto with a lid and tune made 330 whp/355 lb ft.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 4PointSlow
My ls6 cts v made 392 whp/378 lb ft with 92/92 and headers... HP seems kinda low, but wtf where is the torque? My old 02 ls1 auto with a lid and tune made 330 whp/355 lb ft.
I agree, my torque is way low on this dyno run. I removed the FIPK for a FTP 104mm Lid and CHRS1313 non AC since then. I'll report back after my next re tune...
Old 03-09-2015, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

Little by little my list is coming together!
Old 03-09-2015, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice!
Old 03-17-2015, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

Last of the little stuff. All that's left are the MAST heads and new push rods!
Old 03-18-2015, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sweet!
Old 03-31-2015, 05:58 PM
Teching In

nice build man I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of power this thing produces… Also did you guys say that fully ported 243 heads flow better than mast heads?
Old 03-31-2015, 06:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by oreobadr
nice build man I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of power this thing produces… Also did you guys say that fully ported 243 heads flow better than mast heads?
I'd hope not! Figured I'd go with the mast head seeing I don't have PTV with my cam. It's going to be a while before I buy them. Trying to save for an out of state wedding in Monterey California
Old 03-31-2015, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
I'd hope not! Figured I'd go with the mast head seeing I don't have PTV with my cam. It's going to be a while before I buy them. Trying to save for an out of state wedding in Monterey California
Oh wow man.. Ill probably have my trans am done before you then lol
Old 04-01-2015, 03:45 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by oreobadr
Oh wow man.. Ill probably have my trans am done before you then lol
Sorry I can't be more helpful. I'm no expert when it comes to heads. If I had a smaller cam I would have gone with the AI ported 243. The mast heads shine due to the 11 deg valve angle. That will give me more room for a bump in compression I believe.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

Default New Numbers

Finally got the injector situation ironed out. Ended up getting 42lb. Racetronic injectors. Pretty impressed with the gains just from a lid and the chrs1313 going from the FIPK.

Thanks to Mike at New Era for getting the car on point.

Quick Reply: FAST 92/92 VS Stock TB/LS1 intake Gains (M6) ect...