Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

2006 Corvette Z06 620rwhp 523rwtq

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting the clutch spacing(fingers with TOB) is an absolute must in these cars for the hydraulics to function properly. I'd measure it 3 times with 2 different sets of eyes. Follow the guideline closely too. Make sure the details are followed like removing the spring before you measure, etc.
With the vettes getting to the clutch is a bear.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vetteboy2k
Getting the clutch spacing(fingers with TOB) is an absolute must in these cars for the hydraulics to function properly. I'd measure it 3 times with 2 different sets of eyes. Follow the guideline closely too. Make sure the details are followed like removing the spring before you measure, etc.
With the vettes getting to the clutch is a bear.
Yea I'm 90% positive my clutch was not shimmed properly. I've got an upgraded MC, have bled it 10 times in varying ways and adjusted the MC for maximum cylinder travel and i still get blocked out of first and reverse. Have not tried banging gears since i adjusted it, but downshifting is easier at least.

That is why i want to go with a clutch where I'm not relying on the people installing the clutch who are clearly trying to make the quickest money possible. All they have to do is bolt the Katech right in and voila, it works perfectly as designed. Its got a 7000 rpm shift rating and I shift at 6600 or so so that should be just fine. Holds 800 rwhp on the street which is more power than I'll ever have. If Mcleod made a clutch for my car that just bolts right in I may go with them, but unil they do, I'm done with all clutches that need shims
Old 05-21-2015, 08:51 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goosecaddy05
I've got an upgraded MC, have bled it 10 times in varying ways and adjusted the MC for maximum cylinder travel and i still get blocked out of first and reverse. Have not tried banging gears since i adjusted it, but downshifting is easier at least.
I didn't know you had this problem as well, I would think it is related to the death of your slaves. I've been thru hell with the aftermarket clutch's, I do my own R/R now since the last brand name shop only torqued 2 of the flywheel bolts Imagine what happens as the remaining flywheel bolts slowly back out into the clutch disc.

Have you tried with the key on engine off shifting into reverse & first? If it shifts easily that is a pretty good indication your not getting a complete disengage. I had the inspection cover off sliding a feeler gauge between discs & pressure plates to measure that. I didn't have enough travel with the slave so I added a shim which is what your condition sounds like. That did not fix my issue, helped a small amount. I finally upgraded to bigger Mcleod MC to get a complete disengage, the feeler gauge would slide in between the disc's & pressure plates. The problem as I mentioned earlier the pedal pressure was brutal.

Then I tried the LT1 conversion for a C5, as you are thinking Goose what a perfect solution. A stock factory clutch, nice pedal, Hi rpm shifts, for me a bit heavier setup....perfect. I won't get into the details here other than I'm happy with the current Mcleod RST combination......oh & no shim
Old 05-21-2015, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ctd
I didn't know you had this problem as well, I would think it is related to the death of your slaves. I've been thru hell with the aftermarket clutch's, I do my own R/R now since the last brand name shop only torqued 2 of the flywheel bolts Imagine what happens as the remaining flywheel bolts slowly back out into the clutch disc.

Have you tried with the key on engine off shifting into reverse & first? If it shifts easily that is a pretty good indication your not getting a complete disengage. I had the inspection cover off sliding a feeler gauge between discs & pressure plates to measure that. I didn't have enough travel with the slave so I added a shim which is what your condition sounds like. That did not fix my issue, helped a small amount. I finally upgraded to bigger Mcleod MC to get a complete disengage, the feeler gauge would slide in between the disc's & pressure plates. The problem as I mentioned earlier the pedal pressure was brutal.

Then I tried the LT1 conversion for a C5, as you are thinking Goose what a perfect solution. A stock factory clutch, nice pedal, Hi rpm shifts, for me a bit heavier setup....perfect. I won't get into the details here other than I'm happy with the current Mcleod RST combination......oh & no shim
Yeah, doing that I have zero problems going into first or any other gear. I can go from 1st to reverse, take it out of first go back, go into any other gear and just play around shifting and never get blocked out for as long as i have the engine off and key on. Definitely not getting a full disengage when engine is running.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Default wannaGOFAST Ocala, FL Jan 24, 2016 Fastest Naturally Aspirated Vehicle!

I entered into the privateer class, N/A, of the wannaGOFAST 1/2 mile event at Ocala, FL last weekend and won Fastest Naturally Aspirated privateer with a trap speed of 162.94. I'm very pleased with the results, given the cold temps and Pilot Super Sports. The car ran perfect, not a single hiccup.

Video:
Old 01-31-2016, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice vid! Car is running good!

Quick Reply: 2006 Corvette Z06 620rwhp 523rwtq