Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Home built LS1 Dyno (BTR Cam, 243 Heads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Was searching for something and came across this. Excellent power from that combo. I bet it drives super excellent. The added compression really helps.

I just wonder what a set of AI 226 or TEA Stage 1s would do here? Probably push you up over 470 without giving up any torque (and probably adding peak torque).
Ya, I was really wondering that myself. He said he sees around 460 to 470 on the cars he tuned with AI 226. Really wanted to go that route myself, but that just put it out of budget. I bet a set of TFS or AFR 215s would make this a stout combo for a smaller cam as well. And it does drive very well, better than my Torquer V3 cam, and the lobes are much softer to give me some more life out of my valve springs, its a win/win.

Originally Posted by lazerlemonta
Nice work keeping the Hot Rod spirit alive! Nice work Austin
Thank you, sir. The hot rod bug is quite serious when it bites lol
Old 03-17-2017, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Nice job! Strong numbers from the car, I bet it's a blast to drive. Out of curiosity, what's your PTV and I assume you have the stock thickness head gaskets on there? I just wouldn't have expected one to get away with that much milling with that cam but that's awesome that you did.

I've heard good things about Andrew, it's nice to hear another positive experience, I plan to have him dyno tune my car once I build it up this summer.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
Nice job! Strong numbers from the car, I bet it's a blast to drive. Out of curiosity, what's your PTV and I assume you have the stock thickness head gaskets on there? I just wouldn't have expected one to get away with that much milling with that cam but that's awesome that you did.

I've heard good things about Andrew, it's nice to hear another positive experience, I plan to have him dyno tune my car once I build it up this summer.
I'm not sure off the top off my head, but I do know i was slightly over the .080 intake and .100 exhaust that most use as the suggested minimum. And yes, this was done with the stock GM MLS .051 in. thick gaskets

Andrew did a fantastic job on my tune, I'll be taking my next build there for tuning for sure. I'm excited to go down and check out his new shop, last time he showed me around, it looks awesome!
Old 04-27-2017, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you check the pushrods length? 7.4 with all that milling.
i wonder if you would have milled .020 then run a .040 gasket if you could have got a little more timing.
that is a awesome build btw!!!!
might use it in a c5z06 with the .040 and .020 mill and a valve job and bowl blending.
awesome job again Austin!!!!!
​​​​​​​my hat is off to you

Originally Posted by Austin95
I'm not sure off the top off my head, but I do know i was slightly over the .080 intake and .100 exhaust that most use as the suggested minimum. And yes, this was done with the stock GM MLS .051 in. thick gaskets

Andrew did a fantastic job on my tune, I'll be taking my next build there for tuning for sure. I'm excited to go down and check out his new shop, last time he showed me around, it looks awesome!
Old 05-10-2017, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jdwtx85
Did you check the pushrods length? 7.4 with all that milling.
i wonder if you would have milled .020 then run a .040 gasket if you could have got a little more timing.
that is a awesome build btw!!!!
might use it in a c5z06 with the .040 and .020 mill and a valve job and bowl blending.
awesome job again Austin!!!!!
​​​​​​​my hat is off to you
You are correct, I just checked my receipts. The push rods were 7.350 length.

I'm sure I could have gotten away with more timing and lower compression, but I think this made more power than it would have with less compression and more timing. The decrease in quench would have been nice with the .040 gasket (which I did on my last build) but, the head gaskets were about 3-4 times the cost more than the stock GM MLS gaskets, so it was not worth it to me. However, I believe a more efficient engine needs less timing than an inefficient one, according to everything Ive read.

One more question to anyone who can help: I recently got hp tuners and I'm learning how to tune alittle. But after opening up my high octane tables, I was kind of shocked to find my ignition timing from 3600 rpms on up is actually only 16 degrees when everyone else swore it was 26. Is this because of the added compression and a small-ish cam which would keep my dynamic compression higher? My thoughts would be it would have started knocking and pulling a few degrees if it was set around 22-24.

Name:  02%20camaro%20high%20octane%20table_zpsyltx0rxa.jpg
Views: 3436
Size:  240.5 KB
Just trying to learn abit more here as I go along, any thoughts are welcomed

Last edited by Austin95; 05-10-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a pretty awesome combo congrats on the numbers.

It does look like you have 16 degrees of timing in the tune you can do a quick log to verify what the timing is but if the tuner found the best power with 16 I wouldn't worry about it car put down good numbers.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you play with timing at all, see if it runs any different if you crank it to 24-26?

Again your build is awesome.
i wanna send my heads to get worked on just nervous about milling to much then cant run a .040 gasket for the quench I want. Your 227 would be close to the 226 i wanna run.

Good luck with your timing trials, maybe you can squeeze more umphh out of the engine
​​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Home built LS1 Dyno (BTR Cam, 243 Heads)