Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

New 700+ HP N/A build

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 03:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Correct me if I'm wrong but is the motor 4.185 bore x 4.000 crank ?
​​​​​Just wondering cause it's more than one way to come up with 440 cubic inches....
That's the bore and stroke of this build and IMO the most desirable way to come up with 440 cubes of displacement!

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 02-28-2017, 07:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Great work Tony!

What was the LSA on the camshaft.

I think the second picture down is of a different motor. The valley looks different & it has Trick Flow heads. Maybe the same rockers?
Old 02-28-2017, 08:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
Great work Tony!

What was the LSA on the camshaft.

I think the second picture down is of a different motor. The valley looks different & it has Trick Flow heads. Maybe the same rockers?
114 + 3

Same motor (good scope though!)....long story short is I removed the heads to have the opportunity to engrave the end pads with my logo. I had just finished working out all the details with the logo engraving and these heads and about a dozen others were part of the first wave of castings with my new end pad engraving complete with the MMS 265 insignia for easy identification.

Not sure if you can see it in the pictures but the machined finish on the end pad is much higher quality than any production machining environment....it took awhile to dial everything in but the finished results made it all worthwhile and it looked so good I had to include that feature on this engine build!! (figure it was worth about 5 HP.....LOL)

Cheers,
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 03-01-2017, 02:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why such a large split on the cam ?
Yes I understand it's a rectangle port headed motor. I could understand if the heads didn't flow that well in the exhaust department but since it's a aftermarket head vs a stock LS7 head I'm kinda scratching my head unless the op plan on spraying a shot of nitrous down the road. Here lately I been seeing LS3/LS7 aftermarket heads make great power without so much split such as navyblue 396ci.....
Cam looks perfect to me for this build.

Excellent results Mr. Mamo!!!
Old 03-04-2017, 12:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Martin Smallwood
Cam looks perfect to me for this build.

Excellent results Mr. Mamo!!!
Thanks Martin....I was certainly pleased with it.

No holes in the power and torque curve thats for sure!!

Appreciate you popping in here

Regards,
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Old 03-04-2017, 07:50 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Double06
Tony is the problem here also just the LS block itself not having enough bore to accommodate the larger exhaust valve while keeping a big intake valve. Sort of the max bores you see here are in the 4.155 and 4.185 while on your typical (not 396 bb chevy) the bore is 4.25 inches to start which most guys bored out to 4.28 / 4.31 and of course the bowtie block where the party starts with a 4.5 inch bore. So I guess what we need here is a 1.7 or larger exhaust valve when getting to these bigger cid and hp builds if we want to keep the exhaust duration down. Going with too big a valve I guess you could get some shrouding from the bore itself. I know on the BBC going to the 4.5 inch bore is a huge plus as it really unshrouds the valves in the bore. Funny the GM stage 3 cam is 233 /276 at .050 duration I guess GM was aware of the exhaust issue there.
There's plenty of room in a 4.185" bore for a 2.20"/1.60" valve combo, but GM did crowd the valves over towards the exhaust valve. That's pretty much been the evolution of inline valve race heads, though. They sacrifice the exhaust for a better intake.

The way I look at it is that the exhaust numbers aren't that bad, it's that the intake numbers are that good. Is a 245 duration intake lobe typical of a 440ci engine that peaks at over 6500 RPM? I don't think so. The LS7 intake port is one of the best OEM intake ports the hot rod gods have ever blessed us with. Because of that, we can shorten the intake duration to produce better idle and driveability characteristics, while still maintaining excellent power and that's how we are getting these big splits in duration.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
Thanks Martin....I was certainly pleased with it.

No holes in the power and torque curve thats for sure!!

Appreciate you popping in here

Regards,
Tony
Not a problem at all Sir, and I agree 100% on the I/E relationship you mentioned in previous post.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 534 Likes on 382 Posts

How many lbs injectors on the 440ci ?
Old 03-16-2017, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How many lbs injectors on the 440ci ?
60 lbs.

Quick Reply: New 700+ HP N/A build