Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

6.4L 388 ls3 dyno guesses?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 02:55 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by CAMMOTION PERF
This is exactly the kind of post I like to hear. If I recall correctly, we talked about finding a balance of extended RPM and power while maintaining this level of drivability.

I know this is a dyno thread, but this camshaft is not a "dyno hero" camshaft. What gets tricky about camming the shorter runners for a street car is picking valve events that will let it RPM, but still maintain some good midrange torque for the street.

I am looking for this thing to peak about 7000ish RPM and carry nicely to 7500. I look forward to seeing the results.

~Steven
Steve, thank you for chiming in here. I was literally about to go through the valve events of the cam and say, "don't critique the durations, splits, or LSA. What don't you like about the valve events? If you can't see a problem with the valve events, the durations and LSA are what they are"

That's really how I like to look at camshafts - break them down to the valve events. Honestly, if you gave this thing "more" cam, it would probably want to peak even higher RPM, and he's already indicated that he's planning to shift 7500-8000. In effect, he'd have less power under curve, because he' peak too high relative to his shift point, I would think.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by BREWS02WS6
Interested in what cures your hanging idle. Darth and I were working on mine last summer/fall, but I had to quit before it was ever perfected. Looking forward to your results!
Hi, Brew! Yeah, you had to give your HPT back IIRC. Hammers is different. His fueling is all over the place. We started with a base tune similar to mine, and we've been cutting fuel at idle AND adding fuel at WOT. It's a very tricky engine. Add to it, I think he might have reused his clutch from his LS1 build, which was very light. That adds to the fun. Haven't even started on timing yet, because there's no point until fueling is stable.

It's much easier when you're running the computer AND standing in front of the car. but this one has been fun, because it did some stuff we didn't expect, and so it's been a learning experience. FWIW, return to idle on a third gen is the hardest thing it has to do. Also notice, it's the thing that gets the most thread starts on tuning...

Really it's a very well thought out motor, and you gotta give hammer credit for going a little outside the box and coming out with a hell of a combination here.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by CAMMOTION PERF
This is exactly the kind of post I like to hear. If I recall correctly, we talked about finding a balance of extended RPM and power while maintaining this level of drivability.

I know this is a dyno thread, but this camshaft is not a "dyno hero" camshaft. What gets tricky about camming the shorter runners for a street car is picking valve events that will let it RPM, but still maintain some good midrange torque for the street.

I am looking for this thing to peak about 7000ish RPM and carry nicely to 7500. I look forward to seeing the results.

~Steven
Hey Steven! Been a while lol

Yeah I remember coming at you guys with a rough idea on cam specs. I knew what I wanted the engine to do. Really to carry further rather than make a quick peak then drop like a stone. You guys did a few tweaks for me and IMO the cam acts exactly how we wanted it to!

If you also recall it was spec'd for a stock ls3 bottom end but things changed because my short block had some issues, and a 4.125" bore just excites me lol. If I knew I were doing a 388 from the start, we likely would have pushed the cam a little harder.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:00 PM
10 Second Club

Name:  0C64FBA7-FA38-4EB0-80DA-3F48B188B06B_zpslos3v7cc.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  252.6 KB
Old 04-03-2017, 04:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

That's good ****
Old 04-03-2017, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Yep, I want to build a 416 with a (light) domed piston, make a ton of torque with the arm and compression, e85 as it has finally arrived within 10 miles of home, I ascribe to the " build for torque, tune for HP. I'll take 7000 shifts all day long, it's easier on everything.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 64post
Yep, I want to build a 416 with a (light) domed piston, make a ton of torque with the arm and compression, e85 as it has finally arrived within 10 miles of home, I ascribe to the " build for torque, tune for HP. I'll take 7000 shifts all day long, it's easier on everything.
MMS235s, LLSR, & your Ported LSXRT would be a killer combo!
600+ RWHP, & 530+lb ft.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
MMS235s, LLSR, & your Ported LSXRT would be a killer combo!
600+ RWHP, & 530+lb ft.
Yes, it was a response to the OP's comment about e85 but somehow it didn't register his quote, I didn't mean to hijack his thread. I appreciate his new motor, it's somewhat radical compared to most sub 400c.i. builds on these boards.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:31 PM
10 Second Club

if I had local e85 I would have a pile more compression too. but I don't really care to much about cruising torque. it has lots. I like a long broad hp curve up top. it just makes me happy
Old 04-03-2017, 10:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SoFla01SSLookinstok:
Hey Lil John. No drinky or smoke no more?
You don't know me but I know of you. Appreciate you taking time to post around in here.
Thanks, but naw I've balled and did it all so it is and was about the time to stop. I've gotten in more trouble in life than Most. BTW I'm even more of a A-hole now(even have a tattoo that say's that I'm a A-hole. LOL!But true ). My Patience is even shorter now. I don't ask for BS.

But I read about someone asking me would I run E85 and my answer is HELL no gas vary's to much and checking for water content. Ask me how do I know Jim who runs a shop in town has gone thru this too many times to count in a high dollar BBC 60's Camaro.(Also my go to man-Big uncle was with Nickens Racing back in the day) Having to check the gas each fill up. I'm willing to pay to play: Sunoco 260 GT Plus. Don't get me wrong E85 is the bomb but there's other ways of cheating Compression. For someone with a shorter duration cam you really have no choice, if your wanting higher compression's like 13 & 1/2 +. I'm off the thinking let's just Bleed this thing.

BTW Jim built a 408 Dome piston stroker with TFS Ls3 heads & Nos to replace the BBC. Should make 900- 1000 @ the fw. Now selling it as he thinks everyone has done a Ls swap.

Last edited by Dark Energy; 04-03-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 536 Likes on 383 Posts

I really like the way you think..... It's 9 sec LS motors/combos turning less than 7500 rpm at the track and sending alot guys home.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:59 AM
10 Second Club

Fastest NA LS's turn 10,000 rpm
Old 04-04-2017, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
I really like the way you think..... It's 9 sec LS motors/combos turning less than 7500 rpm at the track and sending alot guys home.
All things being equal - same HP, transmission, etc, I tend to see the driver who is willing to spin the motor winning. Pretty consistently. And you got DarkEnergy (Lil John) in post 75 talking about 8000 RPM...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...l#post19581367

Last edited by Darth_V8r; 04-04-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:23 AM
Banned

Darth_V8r, so correct Hp is RPM and the more RPM the more HP= FasterET's, If geared and set up Properly!

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/add...epower-torque/

Also was talking on phone talking with Chris @ Straub Technologies about a few things. And I asked about the new Black Mamba series lifters said they were for Nascar and they banned them. Can sit @ idle all day with No problems there a bushed style lifter also. Also they wouldn't have been out at least another 4 yrs if Nascar hadn't banned them. Damn! I just got normal Ultra Pro Morels bushed lifters. Damn Damn Damn! Also asked him about the cam I'm looking @ he gave me a Few pointers. Placed it in the simulator and it picked up Tq & Hp everywhere.
I didn't know or forgot you can't put up Non sponsored web addresses, I caught that KCS. I placed the web address for the Black Mamba lifters came back it was Gone.

Last edited by Dark Energy; 04-04-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dark Energy
Darth_V8r, so correct Hp is RPM and the more RPM the more HP= FasterET's, If geared and set up Properly!

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/add...epower-torque/

Also was talking on phone talking with Chris @ Straub Technologies about a few things. And I asked about the new Black Mamba series lifters said they were for Nascar and they banned them. Can sit @ idle all day with No problems there a bushed style lifter also. Also they wouldn't have been out at least another 4 yrs if Nascar hadn't banned them. Damn! I just got normal Ultra Pro Morels bushed lifters. Damn Damn Damn! Also asked him about the cam I'm looking @ he gave me a Few pointers. Placed it in the simulator and it picked up Tq & Hp everywhere.
I didn't know or forgot you can't put up Non sponsored web addresses, I caught that KCS. I placed the web address for the Black Mamba lifters came back it was Gone.
That link is a really good read
Old 04-04-2017, 03:45 PM
Banned

Thanks. As I said Once before I've been doing this Since a KID now 40 on the 7th of this month. No shop time Just Knowledge. I try to get @ Most and all with what I do or know or still learning. Once I Learn how to cam a Ls engine.....No comment. If i have a number in my head it's over I'll just Buy parts and take it 1 Step @ a time remember I'm not Rich. Check me out just a little something as i don't like having what some Else has.(aka i could have Bought Mast/TFS or any Ls7 head I wanted cost was the Same) I do have a few Mentors I take notes from or ask?'s None post on here Regular at least not any more.

Here you go I'm Rowdy Yates and you should know ERracing or the 376 800 hp build. As I said I have good mentors and not afraid to talk or ask. A close Mouth Don't get Fed. Yet most and all will say a Ls7 head Won't fit a smaller bore. Ask Y? Trying to make $. Did this with Procomp castings and if you look RHS heads were put onto a 6.2 engine NO Mods were listed. Not saying it may be non. But you get the point.
Just left my buddies Pool Hall and Bar gonna relax and play some Xbox on my day off. I'm not used to Working for someone else I'm a general Contractor and a whole lot of other things where I'm my own Boss. Did all the I-Hop chain remodels with stone, I'm a Stone Mason also....Apache Tech,Surgical Tech, CDL driver, Home builder and Re-modeler...(I can go on,on others Not to be listed). Jack of all trades Master at all also. Licensed in all listed. Sorry had a few drinks nothing more I'm not a Sociable drinker. 1 was never enough but I've learned different.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh....php?t=1374946

Last edited by Dark Energy; 04-04-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:55 PM
Banned

Still drinking but not Sociable. Go ask any of these people who makes heads and I'm thinking I'll ask the new comer with the ls3 heads? Why in the heck can't I, Main word is *I so we all can have it. A Ford Cleveland head or canted valve Blueprint made for a Ls 3 or 7 intake, Simple! and not have to pay 10k on the the rest. More just have to ask as We are at the limit for the inline valve setup. We are the ones spending $ to just have stuff duplicated......No comment! Mast does make a SRT8 head,but it's all out. They can do it and Everyone Would and could buy it as it's Better. But we''ll have someone else make a Ls3 head or Ls7 head which is a copy from the Factory. Real Talk. Real people need to make these parts.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by big hammer
Fastest NA LS's turn 10,000 rpm
10,000? Is that all?
Old 04-04-2017, 07:54 PM
Banned

That's for 400ci limited engines aka: Visner cylinder heads and Block all Billet thats's why they have the New Dart block and heads. Nothing New! Give me a 4inch strock and that bore. The hell with a class....Oh look at that ET. They make it so Regular Pep's can't do it. $$$$$$.!

I'm just wanting to finish this truck and ls7 heads I've got another pair for the same block and engine.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default LS-X Pro Stock

Hi, thanks for the observation on my EAP report.

The cam choice takes a "young style" driving method, very good for track racing with LOTS of shifting.

I would add, with concern, when this engine is operated in a throttled condition you will have little luck with it UNDER 4000 RPM.

MY CHOICE would be to FIT my 65mm ITB Eight Stack Intake.
Then lower camshaft duration to 256/262.
The ITB Intake style loves a larger camshaft with great low end torque.
I would like to see a 12:1 CR which I have run on Pump GAS.(58x ONLY)
Your could use E-95, possibly from a BUS Station local, then 14.5 C.R. and this will provide 876@7000 RPM with above stated changes.

The Engine TORQUE would be fantastic in the lower ranges with great drive ability.

Lance

Quick Reply: 6.4L 388 ls3 dyno guesses?