Notices
Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Dynoing - Quarter Million Mile stock LS1 02 Z28 Today: Guess hp & torque?

Old 01-15-2019, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LilJayV10 View Post
14.5 is pretty damn lean considering those things run low 12's bone stock.

I would be doing a bunch of checking before I beat on it again.

Did he happen to log it when he pulled it?

I would also asked him the last time he calibrated his WB02 and if it's working properly.

I'm kinda suspect how it held 14.5 the ENTIRE run and didn't swing one way or the other.

When WB02's go out, they always show lean because of the design of the pump cell in the sensor.

I'm actually surprised he finished the pull. If I would have pulled it and saw 14.5 on the WB I would have stopped. If the WB was reading accurate I would have declined to make anymore pulls.

It's not worth the risk blowing someones car up because you know the guy pulling the car is going to get blamed somehow.

Just my .02
Amen. I second all of this. How did the WB stick to 14.5? Even a perfectly tuned car has fluctuations. Air is always changing. Impossible to hold at 14.5 or any AFR.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AndyTA View Post
Amen. I second all of this. How did the WB stick to 14.5? Even a perfectly tuned car has fluctuations. Air is always changing. Impossible to hold at 14.5 or any AFR.
Normally when they fail completely they go dead lean, most of the time they show 18:1 or 22:1 or thereabouts, depending on the AFR gauge.

Every time I've had a sensor fail on the dyno that's what they have done due to the pump cell dying or being contaminated. I'm not sure if the sensor is starting to go south if would start reading on the lean side.

I'm "guessing" that the WB02 was in the tail pipe which can cause some goofy readings depending on the how the tail pipe is made but usual doesn't cause any problems at WOT, just at cruise where fresh air gets sucked in the tail pipe due to reversion. But the consistent 14.5 thing is still strange unless it is the sensor.

Seeing a log would help figure out if the WB02 was telling the truth, the narrow bands should be dead lean if it was really 14.5

I would also think the car would pretty much lay over it was that lean.

Last edited by LilJayV10; 01-15-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

I went back and looked at the dyno graph again. There's no way that WB02 sensor is reading correctly.....

And to the OP,

I would also expect to see those numbers on a MD dyno.

My guess was going to be around 275-280 w/ Dyno Jet numbers. MD normally read about 16% lower than a DJ.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Before the dyno RPM Performance has the car owner sign a waiver for any engine that wasn't built by their shop.
​​​​​I didn't get the "vibe" that they were careless with car in the least. I set the rpm limit at 5,800 rpm and the first pull as a test run was a little under about 5,400 rpm.

I don't recall seeing an O2 sensor in the tail pipe. Not sure exactly how they determined 14.5 AF, I did ask the operator insisted the AF was OK.

Lil'Jay, Thank you for the info that a Dynomite is often ~16% less than a typical DynoJet. Under the circumstances I would be very happy with~275 to 280 whp baseline for this Z28. Hopefully, when the weather clears I can visit Norris Motorsports for a baseline on a DynoJet that I'm familiar with and know Mike's AF readings will be accurate.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A View Post
I don't recall seeing an O2 sensor in the tail pipe. Not sure exactly how they determined 14.5 AF, I did ask the operator insisted the AF was OK.
Time to hit up the other Dyno shop, for sure. Unless they have a wideband plugged/bunged in to your exhaust (which I doubt, unless you already had a spare bung installed from before) they would have no way of knowing your AFR without a tail-pipe Wideband. The fact he insisted the AFR is ok is troubling - because without a wideband, what did he use to determine AFR then? "Maths" ?

I'm curious to see what the other dyno shop results will be! :-)

Old 01-17-2019, 07:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, looks like a new baseline at Norris Motorsports is in order for the spring. Will have to talk with Mike and plan a few basic mods like headers etc.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: