Old 06-24-2019, 11:05 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

You ever run a faceplated T56?
Old 06-24-2019, 02:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
You ever run a faceplated T56?
No I haven't. I been looking at the magnum from tick performance and all hydraulics.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,023 Likes on 2,354 Posts

OK, eddicate me. What is a faceplated T56? I known what a T56 is. Faceplated?
Old 06-24-2019, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by G Atsma
OK, eddicate me. What is a faceplated T56? I known what a T56 is. Faceplated?
It fixes all the issues with synchronizers by getting rid of them. You literally attach a plate to the gear face, and then you shift without the clutch. Breathe the throttle a bit, rev match, shift times greatly reduced. I'm no where near good enough to run one, but I know a guy who makes it look easy....

MFer can DRIVE.

Edit -- still need the clutch for first gear, hopefully that was obvious
Old 06-24-2019, 03:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It fixes all the issues with synchronizers by getting rid of them. You literally attach a plate to the gear face, and then you shift without the clutch. Breathe the throttle a bit, rev match, shift times greatly reduced. I'm no where near good enough to run one, but I know a guy who makes it look easy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-1lk1_ShDA

MFer can DRIVE.

Edit -- still need the clutch for first gear, hopefully that was obvious
Educate me some as well:

1) What are the drawbacks of faceplating, if any?
2) Are all the manual guys records on the drag strip running faceplates to help reduce their time? Poorly worded question. You know what I mean... I assume you'd want to? to drive down times?
3) Is it something that is okay to run for a daily driver? (Driving characteristics etc)

Thanks!!!
Andy
Old 06-24-2019, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 469 Likes on 302 Posts

For faceplating it is about 4x cheaper to use an old Fbody T56 than a magnum. Because the magnum internals are bigger it basically requires all custom billet parts, whereas the faceplated T56 is as far as I understand just a machining operation on stock parts.

The magnum will be stronger, but probably not enough to justify the price. When I contacted Liberty to get a quote on faceplating my magnum they said I would be better off either keeping the syncros in the magnum, or buying a T56 instead.

The T56 Magnum is the absolute jam. It is such a nice transmission you won't even believe it.

Faceplating is a very extreme modification and while it can be daily driven, your car will sound and shift like a race car. That said, you can faceplate 1-4 and keep 5th and 6th syncronized for cruising. 1-4 need to be shifted hard and fast, and will clunk like a **** going into gear every single time. For the right person and car - yes it can be street driven no problem.

It is still advised to use the clutch, but you just need to barely interrupt the power.
The following users liked this post:
AndyTA (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by AndyTA
Educate me some as well:

1) What are the drawbacks of faceplating, if any?
you got to KNOW what you are doing. I have not made the jump to FP, because I honestly am afraid of hating the car after I did it. Also, there is nothing stopping it from going into gear. Look up the term "money shift". I also have heard people say it is both easier and harder to drive a FP transmission. I have never personally driven one, so i can only parrot.
2) Are all the manual guys records on the drag strip running faceplates to help reduce their time? Poorly worded question. You know what I mean... I assume you'd want to? to drive down times?
No, the FP transmissions are a very small minority. Like the number of intelligent people on twitter. I would assume it reduces your ET, because your shifts are instantaneous compared to throwing a clutch. I also wonder if a sequential trans counts as a manual on the lists. I assume sequential would be the fastest?
3) Is it something that is okay to run for a daily driver? (Driving characteristics etc)
most will tell you no, but the guy in that video says he has some insane number of miles on his. Likely it's a skill thing as to how long they last.

I wish I could give you better answers. I was only asking if Aint Skeered ran one, because he indicated his manual and auto times were very similar. I figured he's either an excellent clutch man or he faceplated. So I asked.

Thanks!!!
Andy[/QUOTE]
AndyTA (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by spanks13
For faceplating it is about 4x cheaper to use an old Fbody T56 than a magnum. Because the magnum internals are bigger it basically requires all custom billet parts, whereas the faceplated T56 is as far as I understand just a machining operation on stock parts.

The magnum will be stronger, but probably not enough to justify the price. When I contacted Liberty to get a quote on faceplating my magnum they said I would be better off either keeping the syncros in the magnum, or buying a T56 instead.

The T56 Magnum is the absolute jam. It is such a nice transmission you won't even believe it.

Faceplating is a very extreme modification and while it can be daily driven, your car will sound and shift like a race car. That said, you can faceplate 1-4 and keep 5th and 6th syncronized for cruising. 1-4 need to be shifted hard and fast, and will clunk like a **** going into gear every single time. For the right person and car - yes it can be street driven no problem.

It is still advised to use the clutch, but you just need to barely interrupt the power.
How hard was it to overcome the fear of turning the car into a POS?
Old 06-24-2019, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

How hard was it to overcome the fear of turning the car into a POS?
I'm not there yet haha. I think I've staved off the craving for a faceplated trans. It is tempting to sell the magnum and be almost even money with a T56 though...

I just did a fair bit of research on it, and I bought my magnum through Liberty so I didn't feel like I was wasting their time by asking for pricing.

Cleetus in Leeroy does a lot of street driving recently with a faceplated trans. Those videos will give a really good sense of what day to day life would be like. I don't think I'd mind the shifting as I already drive my car like a dick everywhere I go, but the massive clunk going into first gear every time would get tiresome. It's almost like there needs to be a brake on the trans cluster... Kinda like with a muncie you shift to 2nd before shifting into reverse since reverse isn't synchronized.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What is it about the magnum that makes it so much nicer? Because, I've been considering upgrading to one once the blower goes on... (the stock T56 would shred)
Are the shift characteristics that much different than a stock T56? Is it smoother/clunkier?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 06-24-2019, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AndyTA
What is it about the magnum that makes it so much nicer? Because, I've been considering upgrading to one once the blower goes on... (the stock T56 would shred)
Are the shift characteristics that much different than a stock T56? Is it smoother/clunkier?

Thanks,
Andy
Extremely minimal shift effort. Butter smooth engagement. Shifts as fast as you can move the lever into gear even at 7200 rpm. With the stock length shift lever it took one finger to move the lever into gear.

It also eliminates major weak points of the T56 syncros, and all the gears are substantially larger.

I never complained about the t56 like many people do. "Shifts like a truck"...etc. I replaced the t56 because my gears were starting to grind on speed shifts - never balked a shift, but would crunch. I knew it was a matter of time before I blew it up. Probably fine for normal driving for another million miles.

I see zero reason to ever do a built T56 vs buy a stock magnum. They even are on the verge of finally launching an Fbody tail housing as a retail option.
AndyTA (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 07:00 PM

I gotta say driving a 2010 vette tranny is way better. I did the detent mod to help it but still that newer trans is just better
Old 06-24-2019, 07:04 PM
TECH Junkie

It will not be faceplate. I'll do a magnum, heard nothing but good about it.
The decision about what im doing is put off until tomorrow. Lonnie wants to think on it tonight.

Im honestly good non lock up 4l80 with new converter or magnum.
I shifted pretty well just normal t56 and mgw shifter. Clutch has a lot to do with good shifting. My spec 3+ clutches were notchy where as th Mccloud rst was butter
Old 06-26-2019, 11:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Will be staying non lock up 4l80. Getting an fti converter , fti is seeing If they can do an 8" as they haven't done one yet. If so it will be an animal.
Chassis dyno will not tell me if I gain or lose vs pre rebuild but really all I want is a bad *** weekend cruiser and I know fti can make that hsppen.

Stay tuned
Old 06-26-2019, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

You will love the responsiveness of a small diameter converter..plus getting rid of all that mass from the lockup clutch - you'll be amazed when you throw some revs in neutral the first time.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:53 AM
TECH Junkie

You will love the responsiveness of a small diameter converter..plus getting rid of all that mass from the lockup clutch - you'll be amazed when you throw some revs in neutral the first time.
I had one in my car with the 200-4r and my 6.0 it was a beast, went from 11.20 to 10.91 coming from a 4600 9.5" converter. Drove great on street too and they want to make exactly same part number. I asked them to just tighten it up a little from there as it's now a lot more power and will still drive better than last one.
I will know by tomorrow if the 8" will work out. If not it will be a 9.5" 4800 stall. From fti
Old 07-03-2019, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 734 Likes on 400 Posts

Id like to see how the 9.5" 4800 fti converter does on your build. I was specd the same converter i believe, triple disc lock up?
I ll be running a 700+ hp ls7 thru a 4l80e and ford 9" rear.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:12 PM
TECH Junkie

The converter changed to an 8" fti and around 5500 stall.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 734 Likes on 400 Posts

I didnt know they offered an 8". Is it non lock up? I wonder how much more effecient it is than a 9.5"? Im still learning, but am defly interested in your results. Im gettn real close to firing off my ls7, hopn for fall. Aftr almost 4yrs building my nova, yes, fall feels close to me,lol..
Old 07-04-2019, 11:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by rkupon1
I didnt know they offered an 8". Is it non lock up? I wonder how much more effecient it is than a 9.5"? Im still learning, but am defly interested in your results. Im gettn real close to firing off my ls7, hopn for fall. Aftr almost 4yrs building my nova, yes, fall feels close to me,lol..
They have never done one before mine, he needed a couple days to make sure and when he called me back and said he can and that he could probably have done an 8" lock up as well.
Call fti and ask for Justin.

My last 8" they done for my 6.0 picked me up 3 tenths over a 9.5" that flashed 4600.

Drove just as good also because they can use more positive fin angle. Drove tight and flashed to 5600 when I hit it. Would go 6200 on a trans brake yet only 300 rpm higher at 70 mph than if locked up going by math equation. Not much slip at all.

He wanted to build exactly same part number but i told him go tighter so it would drive even better but this 427 would stall to high with same exact part number as before with 6.0.
That was a 200 4r transmission by the way, 4l80 took its place as it didnt last long with 427