Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

418ci tfs235 Nissan 240sx

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Dont worry about the split. Very few people know the TFS heads better than tooley. Car is running great. Dont take what works in reality and think it is messed up because it does not work in theory.

On the intake I tell you this -- a well-ported msd will beat a ported fast 102. Out the box, the fast is better. I tested both ported by Tony Mamo on a cathedral head almost back to back. Couple weeks apart. With your CI, my advise is get a good ported msd.
Thanks darth, the car does run very hard. But you know there’s always the itch to get the most out of it you can.
Do you know what it cost for him to port the msd ? You can pm me if you want. I don’t see it listed on his site.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 585 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by bortous
Thanks for clarifying that about the heads.
All cathedrals I see have very narrow splits usually that's all.
Also Brian Tooley doesn't spec cams.
He has a guy there called Nick that does it.
Maybe if you were to call and request Brian it may happen.
If I had these heads I would request Brian personally to spec mine as I know he is the most experienced person with this head.
When did Brian Tooley stop specing cams? I'll be at the LS fest this year as well so I'll be sure to ask him. I always talk to Tooley about a hour every year in person. And Pat G know these heads as well and that's something I KNOW.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
When did Brian Tooley stop specing cams? I'll be at the LS fest this year as well so I'll be sure to ask him. I always talk to Tooley about a hour every year in person. And Pat G know these heads as well and that's something I KNOW.
Because I requested for brian tooley to spec me a stroker camshaft once and I was told he doesn't do that anymore as he has someone else called Nick that does it.
I was told he is focusing on other parts of the business these days for 2019.
But if you can ask Brian when you see him that would be great.
PM me when you do.
This was the original route I wanted to go but thanks to bullet cams and a lot of the guys like Darth, Jake Fusion and others, I learnt a lot about a valve timing etc and how to spec for displacement, power range, compression etc.
All of Brian's LS3 camshafts have wide splits with the biggest being a 17 degree split.
I'm a fan of Brain's knowledge after watching his info videos and reading some articles about how he does things.
One of the best in the business.
Pat G was the one who specced me my previous camshaft.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:23 AM
Staging Lane

Bortous, I can’t wait to see what your new setup makes. Your old one looked healthy already. I’m thinking I might do bigger throttle body to help the top end a little. Really wish I had a msd intake and a llsr cam but that’s like $4500 extra right there for probably 20 rwhp more.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Boback1
Bortous, I can’t wait to see what your new setup makes. Your old one looked healthy already. I’m thinking I might do bigger throttle body to help the top end a little. Really wish I had a msd intake and a llsr cam but that’s like $4500 extra right there for probably 20 rwhp more.
Yes, I am looking forward to see what mine makes too.
Have you seen my dyno sheet have you?
After what darth said I would just stick to the fast 102.
It's better out of the box than an MSD unless it gets an extensive port.
I would certainly try the throttle body first and see how it goes.
I have a NW 102mm drive by wire on mine.
Maybe you could even try the mid length fast runners. These would smooth out your torque and power curve and you will gain another 500rpm or so but you would lose some torque off idle till about 5500rpm.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:38 AM
Staging Lane

Haven’t seen the dyno sheet but I did see in your 402 ls2 thread that your previous setup made 505 through an auto.
i will do the throttle body for sure . Fast doesn’t make mid length runners for the cathedral heads. It sucks becasue I would buy those for sure. Honestly I wouldn’t mind a little torque loss to gain higher up. My car weighs 2950 and it’ doesn’t take much pedal at all to get moving.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Haven’t seen the dyno sheet but I did see in your 402 ls2 thread that your previous setup made 505 through an auto.
i will do the throttle body for sure . Fast doesn’t make mid length runners for the cathedral heads. It sucks becasue I would buy those for sure. Honestly I wouldn’t mind a little torque loss to gain higher up. My car weighs 2950 and it’ doesn’t take much pedal at all to get moving.
It's a 408 actually.
Looks like your're only option is to either go for an MSD or port the fast.
The vehicle is light. it would easily get up and boogie.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

yeah gonna get the throttle body and see what it does. i'll just enjoy the car for now and let my wallet recover lol.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

yeah gonna get the throttle body and see what it does. i'll just enjoy the car for now and let my wallet recover lol.
Ha.
I will be struggling to pay this bill too.
I would definitely go for a 102mm throttle body with your build.
Matches the intake perfectly.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 169 Likes on 111 Posts

@bortous- just because Brian Tooley may not spec all cams anymore (LJMS does many of them also) doesn't mean they are not top notch. I've been dealing with BTR since he was a garage operation and everything that comes out of there has been good. Some of the cams I've purchase have surpassed advertised power numbers.... never had any parts failures... BTR is a major player now in the LS parts arena... and Brian simply doesn't have the time to spec cams I'm guessing considering he gave his employees partial ownership in the company (huge props), is growing it daily with a new dyno... and continual parts evolution/growth. He stepped up and did it right.... BTR is a great company to purchase from time and time again. I've been messing with these motors for 15+ years and of all the places I've shopped/called etc BTR is on point...... and bubbles to the top! If there was a need for a better cam offering.... they would do so and it doesn't need Brian's personal touch to be bad ***.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gnx7
@bortous- just because Brian Tooley may not spec all cams anymore (LJMS does many of them also) doesn't mean they are not top notch. I've been dealing with BTR since he was a garage operation and everything that comes out of there has been good. Some of the cams I've purchase have surpassed advertised power numbers.... never had any parts failures... BTR is a major player now in the LS parts arena... and Brian simply doesn't have the time to spec cams I'm guessing considering he gave his employees partial ownership in the company (huge props), is growing it daily with a new dyno... and continual parts evolution/growth. He stepped up and did it right.... BTR is a great company to purchase from time and time again. I've been messing with these motors for 15+ years and of all the places I've shopped/called etc BTR is on point...... and bubbles to the top! If there was a need for a better cam offering.... they would do so and it doesn't need Brian's personal touch to be bad ***.
You do have good points but I'm kind of fussy in that way.
I have never spoken to Nick who is the guy that does all the custom camshafts for Brian.
I might contact btr next time though for any parts.
I know btr have great products.
I notice the infamous 245cc trick flow head they sell too
Old 06-07-2019, 07:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

those are good numbers. TFS heads are a proven performer.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
those are good numbers. TFS heads are a proven performer.
They are with the right combination
Old 06-09-2019, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just waiting for mine to go back on the dyno. Did two runs, one with clogged cats and another with the y pipe dropped to see if it was the cats that were the problem in a drop in power. Untuned it made 548 rwhp 535 rwt. The changes made from the original tune are a 102/102 intake/tb that I ported over a 90/90. It will be interesting to see what the final numbers are with the exhaust back on and pulling some of the fat out of the tune. Should be okay even with low tech cathedral heads and a smaller cam.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Orange Juice
Just waiting for mine to go back on the dyno. Did two runs, one with clogged cats and another with the y pipe dropped to see if it was the cats that were the problem in a drop in power. Untuned it made 548 rwhp 535 rwt. The changes made from the original tune are a 102/102 intake/tb that I ported over a 90/90. It will be interesting to see what the final numbers are with the exhaust back on and pulling some of the fat out of the tune. Should be okay even with low tech cathedral heads and a smaller cam.
I'm curious to see the results also. my setup is going into vacuum pretty good and i'm hoping the throttle body is the restriction and not the intake runners. Mine gets down to 93 kpa from 99 kpa during a pull. If i could pickup at least 7-8 rwhp I'd be happy with that.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

yes, will be interesting.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm curious to see the results also. my setup is going into vacuum pretty good and i'm hoping the throttle body is the restriction and not the intake runners. Mine gets down to 93 kpa from 99 kpa during a pull. If i could pickup at least 7-8 rwhp I'd be happy with that.
Thats why I went with the 102/102 because 90/90 was pulling vacuum also.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:20 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also have Trick Flows on a 416, these 235's were a rough flow casting finished by Chris Frank. Originally the motor was installed in my C5 6spd with 4:10's, went thru a bunch of clutch grief The first set of heads, not the trick flows with a mis matched ported Fast 102 over cam'd @17* of overlap was a heart breaker. The headers were AR 1 7/8's with a catted 3" mid section & 3" out the back. NW 102 TB with a Halltech 108 CAI

The first set up made 518rwhp, verified 3 different dyno's. It felt like 500rwhp to drive it, total gut less POS with that 17* cam. Chased many things trying to identify the low power, in the end it was the cylinder heads.

Once the trick flow's arrived(several months latter) it was October. I only had time to quickly get AFR close enough for quick spin before winter moved in. Still remember very clearly the rear wheels spinning easily @ 60mph, you couldn't pedal enough in first gear & second was not much better. It was a very nice feeling parking the car for the winter knowing it was making power I had originally hoped for. The very first dyno run the next spring was 596rwhp.

That C5 fell off the road, tangled with some trees...destroyed. Now the motor is sitting in a C6 manual car, I had the motor freshened. It always had an oil control problem that I was never worried about. The bores were slightly out of round, a hone straightened them out. The wiesco's have been recoated, new rings & bearings.

It's running now, I've not had it on the road. Currently it has a ported 92mm TB on the ported Fast 102 with a matching Haltech CAI, the 102 TB is sitting on the bench. Headers are LG 1/34 long tubes with 3" catted mid section & 3" out the rear.

I wanted to get the cold start & idle close, just installed the WB this past weekend. Hopefully to the dyno soon for a break in & see where the power goes
Old 06-11-2019, 09:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Orange Juice
Thats why I went with the 102/102 because 90/90 was pulling vacuum also.
are you gonna dyno soon ?

Originally Posted by ctd
I also have Trick Flows on a 416, these 235's were a rough flow casting finished by Chris Frank. Originally the motor was installed in my C5 6spd with 4:10's, went thru a bunch of clutch grief The first set of heads, not the trick flows with a mis matched ported Fast 102 over cam'd @17* of overlap was a heart breaker. The headers were AR 1 7/8's with a catted 3" mid section & 3" out the back. NW 102 TB with a Halltech 108 CAI

The first set up made 518rwhp, verified 3 different dyno's. It felt like 500rwhp to drive it, total gut less POS with that 17* cam. Chased many things trying to identify the low power, in the end it was the cylinder heads.

Once the trick flow's arrived(several months latter) it was October. I only had time to quickly get AFR close enough for quick spin before winter moved in. Still remember very clearly the rear wheels spinning easily @ 60mph, you couldn't pedal enough in first gear & second was not much better. It was a very nice feeling parking the car for the winter knowing it was making power I had originally hoped for. The very first dyno run the next spring was 596rwhp.

That C5 fell off the road, tangled with some trees...destroyed. Now the motor is sitting in a C6 manual car, I had the motor freshened. It always had an oil control problem that I was never worried about. The bores were slightly out of round, a hone straightened them out. The wiesco's have been recoated, new rings & bearings.

It's running now, I've not had it on the road. Currently it has a ported 92mm TB on the ported Fast 102 with a matching Haltech CAI, the 102 TB is sitting on the bench. Headers are LG 1/34 long tubes with 3" catted mid section & 3" out the rear.

I wanted to get the cold start & idle close, just installed the WB this past weekend. Hopefully to the dyno soon for a break in & see where the power goes
wow those numbers are impressive. So you had frankenstein port your tfs235 heads ?
Old 06-11-2019, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ctd

Interesting information.
What heads were on this first that only made 518rwhp? and what were the cam specifications?
If the porting of the fast is not done right, it ruins the performance and power production of an engine.