Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

LSX454:big intake swap, no change in power

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Honeycomb helps quite a lot with the MAF... especially if using the LS3/7 style cartridge. It helps even out the airflow. It's not a restriction.
It is there to help even out flow in circumstances where the flow to the intake manifold is turbulent or rough - caused by sharp angles in pipes before hitting the throttle body.

In a good flowing setup with straight/light bends, I feel like it is indeed a restriction.

I say ditch it, go SD, and enjoy the gains.

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong on any of that.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually the more I think about it, I wasnt showing a restriction at WOT as it always shows about 97ish kpa across a pull. Damn! Thought I had it...
Old 11-14-2019, 01:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX454G8
Actually the more I think about it, I wasnt showing a restriction at WOT as it always shows about 97ish kpa across a pull. Damn! Thought I had it...
You mentioned though it was "sitting sideways" ? Was it lodged in there all weird?
Old 11-14-2019, 03:25 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Either way, that’s not where your possible 75 HP extra is hiding.......
Old 11-14-2019, 05:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Who the heck puts in a Saxon air straightener without glue/jb weld????
Old 11-14-2019, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Who the heck puts in a Saxon air straightener without glue/jb weld????
Someone who thinks, "yeah, it's stuck in there pretty good. It ain't going nowhere!" Famous last words.... lol
Old 11-14-2019, 06:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Someone who thinks, "yeah, it's stuck in there pretty good. It ain't going nowhere!" Famous last words.... lol
I guess at least the multiple threads here lately about MAFs and airflow straighteners prompted the thought.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Drove the car today with a new speed density tune, as I unplugged the MAF just to try something new, and I'm not seeing much difference. I still dont know why I'm down on power, especially torque. I know my dyno charts are all in SAE vs how a lot of people show theirs in Standard, which usually shows a higher number. Still doesnt add up though. I guess I will throw in the fuel pump when it gets here and head back to the dyno, but I dont see how I will gain the 60-70 hp back. My fuel pressure does drop 20lbs up top, but it only drops a couple at peak torque so I dont think that's the issue. I should have big torque with this motor, especially considering the smaller cam.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I’ve seen probably over 100 posts about de-screening MAFs and have yet to see any consensus on the topic... my question would be how is the AFR maintaining when the fuel pressure is dropping off? That seems odd. What fuel rails are on there? And everything else between the pump and injectors? Also, I may have missed it, but how aggressive/conservative is the timing at WOT?
Old 11-25-2019, 06:01 AM

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
I’ve seen probably over 100 posts about de-screening MAFs and have yet to see any consensus on the topic... my question would be how is the AFR maintaining when the fuel pressure is dropping off? That seems odd. What fuel rails are on there? And everything else between the pump and injectors? Also, I may have missed it, but how aggressive/conservative is the timing at WOT?
When fuel pressure drops off you maintain AFR by increasing the calculated air in the Tune. This only works until the injectors go static. Basically, if you are going to try to use airflow numbers to correlate to horsepower, they will not correlate.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates on it
Old 01-16-2020, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Loudmouth_t/a
Any updates on it
no updatesupdatethe car has been sitting. I'm ordering a new fuel pump here in the next week, then will work on re-tuning and going back to the dyno. From what I saw, the injectors weren't going static, and IDC hit around low 80%. Fuel pressure does drop a little over 10psi during a pull, but it did about the same thing with both intakes that I tested. The ported MSD LS7 did show higher airflow values, and I had to readjust my MAF curve to compensate. I still feel something else is contributing to the zero gain in power between two different intakes. The 10ish psi loss in fuel pressure cant be the only reason I got the exact same result with two intakes that had much different runner lengths. My dyno results were shown in SAE vs standard so I guess that can make a small difference in total power as I only made 528rwhp with this setup that should make noticeably more. Maybe my Nick William's DBW throttle body has an issue and is starting to close? I shouldnt hit 528rwhp and 518torque with these 2 very different intakes.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX454G8
no updatesupdatethe car has been sitting. I'm ordering a new fuel pump here in the next week, then will work on re-tuning and going back to the dyno. From what I saw, the injectors weren't going static, and IDC hit around low 80%. Fuel pressure does drop a little over 10psi during a pull, but it did about the same thing with both intakes that I tested. The ported MSD LS7 did show higher airflow values, and I had to readjust my MAF curve to compensate. I still feel something else is contributing to the zero gain in power between two different intakes. The 10ish psi loss in fuel pressure cant be the only reason I got the exact same result with two intakes that had much different runner lengths. My dyno results were shown in SAE vs standard so I guess that can make a small difference in total power as I only made 528rwhp with this setup that should make noticeably more. Maybe my Nick William's DBW throttle body has an issue and is starting to close? I shouldnt hit 528rwhp and 518torque with these 2 very different intakes.
I have had a similar issue with power.
I went to a larger low lash solid roller camshaft from a hydraulic and a mezeire electric water pump, more lift a slightly looser stall converter and now my power is lower.

Quick Reply: LSX454:big intake swap, no change in power