Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

WTF is wrong with my Dyno Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
Comp R lifters are designed with preload built in and require a precise preload (.02-.010). That requires the use of adjustable rockers to do it right or a very careful shimmed installation. Many people that install them think that R means race and must be a performance enhancement...WRONG. If installed as a replacement lifters beware. In most cases with smallish cams the result is just lost performance as the valves are held open at higher rpms (best case)...worst case is damaged lifters, broken retainers/keepers floating through the motor, possible P to V contact etc. Do a search in the internal section on the Comp Rs. They are very good lifters if installed properly. Just be educated prior to installation and all is well. It has been a learning experience for many and a very simple over site as externally they identical to stock so please learn from others. It's much easier on the pocket book

BTW- The Comp stock replacement lifters are the 850s and will perform with the best of those on the market today.
That is the first I heard someone state things like this regarding Comp R and probably because I have not been researching it at all until recently.

I was speaking to the shop that handle my 3.23 swap to 3.73 and was discussing a mild cam and some head work to get some horse power and look for low to mid range gains for the street. When I advised that I have 47,000 miles on the car I was told that I should replace the lifters with Comp R. Not knowing anything and wanting the best and to have it done right the first time I said "sure" since they are the experts.

However, after reading this last post I am wondering if the 850s or something else would be a better swap?

Old 07-13-2005, 04:27 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely!!! You Do NOT need Comp Rs. If it's not already done, then go with Crane OEM replacements, Comp 850s or a comparable lifter. Again , it's a simple over site by many performance shops out there. I'm not too big on playing Russion Roulette myself. LOL. I'm no expert , but I do speak from experience. Affiliated Racing is an expert in this field and can educate you in depth or a quick search will show real world results of the dos and don'ts of lifter choices.

Sorry to get off topic.

Chris what's the story dude?

Quick Reply: WTF is wrong with my Dyno Numbers