Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

G-Tech Pro - Almost as good as the Turbonator!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 02:05 PM
dug
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah if the car is pretty level during acceleration its supposed to be pretty accurate. Good tool for a road race car.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

the older model is for sale all over Ebay, only about 30 bucks... for the extra 170 bucks, I wonder if the fancy display screen is really worth it... and then there's the G-tech RR (road racing) model... that's 300 bucks
Old 10-08-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

This is a lesser known meter but works very well. I bought one a couple of years ago and am very happy with it. Dual accelerometers so it does not have to be leveled.
http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/noname12.html
Old 10-08-2005, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

I like the idea of not having to level the unit, but the page says all out of stock and to check back in Sept. ?
Old 10-08-2005, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you calibrate it correctly, and keep it from moving during your run it can be very accurate. Within 1/10 on your quarter mile times, but it will read a little high on the MPH (it measures instantaneous MPH....your mph at the track is an average over your last 66 feet of your run).
That was true w/ the old ones, but the new gtech pro competition is downright pessimistic. I won't even comment on what it said my car had whp wise, cause i'd get laughed off this board. The 1/4 mile time is dead on, and the mph is as well. The older one's were very optimistic trap speed wise. Be careful with them though, if a cop catches you with one it can be considered racing as I was told.
Old 10-08-2005, 04:20 PM
Teching In

I bought one because i wanted to see what my car would do and when I start adding mods if they actually work or not. as for the horsepower, you actually have to make a horsepoewr run, you start off in first gradually shift into second at 3000-3500 rpms and floor it al the way through second and then shift into third and then it will give you the most accurate horsepower at the wheels with wind resistance(drag). my qiuckest times so far have been 5.05 0-60 and a 13.42 1/4 mile at 106. you calibrate your RPMS, enter vehicle weight and your set. I would recommend this to anyone who is thinking about having their car dynoed or doesent have a track around them (like me) i did buy the SS verson for 187.99 on ebay new with free shiping anymore questions PM me
Old 10-08-2005, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Denom
...Be careful with them though, if a cop catches you with one it can be considered racing as I was told.
damn, I never thought of this... seems like they'd be well within the law to do so...
Old 10-12-2005, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

I have both,gtech and Tazzo, the original gtech was fairly accurate if you set it up right, but it was cheaply built and I ended up resoldering connections twice, The Tazzo is a solid unit with a heavy duty mount, spot on accuracy when used at the strip.i.e. 60 ft 2.33, Tazzo 2.33, although final speed with Tazzo was .75mph faster. Great for practicing launch techniques without breaking the law...
Old 10-12-2005, 06:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Pontiac
damn, I never thought of this... seems like they'd be well within the law to do so...

You can't be serious... "If a cop catches you with one it can be considered racing" is something you accepted way too easily....

Hey I know, your car looks fast you MUST race it, lemme go ahead and impound that for ya.... might even save you an accident, who knows...

Maybe, maybe, maybe if you have a *****, you could be considered a rapist...

Maybe if you have a gun, you could be considered a murderer...

/endsarcasticnontopicalrant
Old 10-12-2005, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Some states have outlawed radar detectors, and 10,000s of tickets have been issued. As far as I know the Gtech,Tazzo are just measuring devices, like a speedometer. Mine goes to 200mph and no state has outlawed any of these devices.I would really like to know under which statute a LEO could write you a ticket, if all you you were guilty of ,was having such a device in your vehicle. Get real!
Old 10-14-2005, 02:52 AM
TECH Junkie

if ya want some good times use them while going up a bridge! youll have a 6 sec car!!!

but honestly im happy with mine it seems pritty realistic as long is you take the avg of say 6 runs and make sure you use it on FLAT FLAT FLAT!!!! ROADS ONLY
Old 10-14-2005, 02:53 AM
TECH Junkie

O YEA a way i came up with to cancle out any un seen curvature in the road is run the car in one direction, turn arround and run it back down the same strech of road and avg the 2 runs if they are different
Old 10-14-2005, 03:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was pretty accurate. Went 12.9@110mph on the g-tech and 12.78@109mph at the track w/ my old 99Z bolt-on A4 w/ F11cam. Best was 12.40@109.9mph at track on skinnes but had alot of KR and trans probs
Old 11-30-2005, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jpr5690
O YEA a way i came up with to cancle out any un seen curvature in the road is run the car in one direction, turn arround and run it back down the same strech of road and avg the 2 runs if they are different
You must work for Gtech, they have that listed in the manual. Anyway got mine out tonight and is pretty accurate from my dyno and time slips. Got the RR and am playing around with the software right now, lots of cool stuff. HP may be off from my dyno but they say its because of Aero Drag and I agree. Just had the car weighed and my TQ is dead on and HP 20 off
Old 12-01-2005, 06:49 PM
12 Second Club

Does it take wheel spin into consideration for calculating the HP/TQ #'s. Spinning will raise your ET, but should not affect your HP ratings...more HP more spinning. I think this looks like a fun new toy to mess around with. I will probably get one some time but I have some things I want to get for the car first.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Guys check the new Autometer gadget....D-PIC...it does all that and can be mounted in any 2 1/6 pillar pod....I have one...haha!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-01-2005, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ExceSSive
Does it take wheel spin into consideration for calculating the HP/TQ #'s. Spinning will raise your ET, but should not affect your HP ratings...more HP more spinning. I think this looks like a fun new toy to mess around with. I will probably get one some time but I have some things I want to get for the car first.
It takes Force into account with acceleration along with your weight, which is damn accurate if you've been weighed. For Calculating HP you must basically shift from first into second and goto redline, shifting down to third and forth as you finish, not how you should race, but it will give you HP over the whole RPM range that way
Old 12-02-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd love to have one of these. I had the oldschool one. Honestly I'd love to see some sort of permanent looking install of these. That'd be reeealllly sweet. The 1/4 mile track is about 75-90 minutes from where I am, but I'd like to document header, stall, etc. changes ... heck ... weight reduction, free mods, different oil etc. It would be great!
Old 12-02-2005, 10:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MadSeason
It takes Force into account with acceleration along with your weight, which is damn accurate if you've been weighed. For Calculating HP you must basically shift from first into second and goto redline, shifting down to third and forth as you finish, not how you should race, but it will give you HP over the whole RPM range that way
You do car weight and add your body weight into this, I assume? With an Auto how would you know what gear to start in?
Old 12-03-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ExceSSive
You do car weight and add your body weight into this, I assume? With an Auto how would you know what gear to start in?
That is correct, there are instructions in the G-tech manual to help estimate your weight if you haven't been weighed.

You always dyno a car in it's 1:1 ratio gear, 4th for M6 cars, 3rd for Autos.