Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Why is my car a turd?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Like whats been said above. That cam needs higher rpms to see its power. Wrong choice for a DD which it seems that this car is. A better tune will with help with driveability but in order to see the power you need to be at 6500+ rpms with that cam and have a big stall and some gears. Thats why your car is a turd. Poorly matched setup. Did you buy that cam new? I gotta ask why you chose it? Did you see some thread with big numbers in it? or did someone give you that cam or buy it used. Trying to understand your combination.. Cheapest headers but the most expensive cam? What are the specs on your cam, do you even know? You need to set the car up for that cam and it is not even close from the sounds of it.

Beyond your: "Muffler bearings, synthetic blinker fluid, and a flux capacitator." What are your plans for the car, what do you want out of it?
I DD an x3 on a 112 and its just fine. Getting 18mpg and loving life(in an m6 tho) Sounds like gears need to be changed...
Old 12-19-2005, 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Like whats been said above. That cam needs higher rpms to see its power. Wrong choice for a DD which it seems that this car is. A better tune will with help with driveability but in order to see the power you need to be at 6500+ rpms with that cam and have a big stall and some gears. Thats why your car is a turd. Poorly matched setup. Did you buy that cam new? I gotta ask why you chose it? Did you see some thread with big numbers in it? or did someone give you that cam or buy it used. Trying to understand your combination.. Cheapest headers but the most expensive cam? What are the specs on your cam, do you even know? You need to set the car up for that cam and it is not even close from the sounds of it.

Beyond your: "Muffler bearings, synthetic blinker fluid, and a flux capacitator." What are your plans for the car, what do you want out of it?

your tune also sounds like it is way off.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:17 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

cheap does not always mean the worst. I doubt it would see a big change if I went from pacesetter headers to kooks. i don't really see how my setup is mismatched. my driveline is mismatched and I am redoing that as we speak. I bought the cam used, but it still had the paint on the lobes from comp. I do know the specs of the cam, do you? It's really not that big of a cam. the reason I posted this was because i felt that my car was down on power and was trying to see if any of you guys could help me out with ideas. can you explain to me how my car is not set up for the cam? i am talking motor only, my stall is on the way, and i'm deciding on gears right now.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:41 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yak
Ok a couple months ago I had my car dyno'd at speed inc. I only made 360/360. I think that something is wrong with my car and that it still has more power in it. my mods are as follows

98 A4 formula
Pacesetter lt's
ory
hooker catback
ls6 intake
lid
ported tb
g5x3 112lsa
patriot springs

these runs were made with my cutout open and due to the speed limiter in my car were only until 5800rpm. I feel that my car has at least 10 more hp in it. the power seemed to level off at 5400 on. what could be causing this to occur? my car has 84k miles and has stock lifters, could they be pumping up? af ratio went from 13.8:1 at 3750rpm to 12.1 @5800 and looked to get richer. any help is greatly appriciated.
This is what you asked and I answered you directly. You car is not setup for that cam. You need a stall and gears thats why your car is a turd. You also didnt spin it past 5800 rpms on the dyno, why the hell not? Thats what that cam is for so it leaves a question as to what your intentions are and if you know what your doing or not. It would not be my choice for a daily driver in an fbody but to each his own as far as that goes, not going to argue about street vs strip here. You also could probably use a better tune. s far as is your motor setup for a cam, yes it comes with one and as long as you take care of p to v issues you can shove any stick in there you want.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 12-19-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:55 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

well, if you read the rest of the post in the forum you would have read that I hit the speed limited due to my 2.73 gears. it has nothing to do with rpm, my rev limiter is set at close to 7k. I realize that my car needs to be pushed to a higher rpm but the curve was really starting to level out about 5300 so I was asking if anything was happening up to causing it to level out. as far as how the car is on the street it is fun as hell to pull 60-115 all in one gear. it scares to **** out of most people I take for a ride in it.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:35 PM
11 Second Club

Yak you will need 4.10s to take advantage of this cam. I ran 3.73s but they didnt cut it ,i picked up 2/10 & 3 mph going from 3.73s to 4.10s. the 4.10s are badass ,just depends how much you drive ur car.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:04 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

haulin hawk, did you really only run an 11.9 with a 3800 stall and 4.10's? I was hoping to go 11.4-11.5 cam only. My car has some weight reduction, what did your weigh? I've seen m6 cars run 11.4 full weight. My stall is a 3800 and I will be spraying this season . I want to go 9.99 or better, h/c and 200 shot.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:09 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

You should have bought my motor and then i could have gave you my tune up. Cheap money=go fast!!!
Old 12-21-2005, 07:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by yak
haulin hawk, did you really only run an 11.9 with a 3800 stall and 4.10's? I was hoping to go 11.4-11.5 cam only. My car has some weight reduction, what did your weigh? I've seen m6 cars run 11.4 full weight. My stall is a 3800 and I will be spraying this season . I want to go 9.99 or better, h/c and 200 shot.
I have only made two passes on the new setup , full weight with only the back seat and spare taken out and stock 17 in rims.I am expecting 11.6-11.7 when the weld draglites go on and the track opens back up .Also you will need alot more converter my 3800 is not big enough .Im leaning towards a PE4000,A buddy of mine CAMAROSS runs a very similar cam and setup w/welds,yank 4000 and runs 11.5-11.6.The power is there its a matter of optimizing your setup i.e. spending $$