Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Dissapointed in 408ci results!!!430rwhp WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck@HPE
As of today I'm raising my tuning prices to 500 dollars, nobody recieves discounts, and everybody gets treated the same. I spent more time working on driveability than I did WOT, made a couple dyno pulls, close to where I wanted it. 300 dollar tune, figured they got a bargain.

so let me get this straight, because you discounted your prices for a group purchase, you half-assed the tuning because you didnt get the full amount? thats bull-shiza, I would think twice about using you after hearing that.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2kSnakeEater
so let me get this straight, because you discounted your prices for a group purchase, you half-assed the tuning because you didnt get the full amount? thats bull-shiza, I would think twice about using you after hearing that.
Well you decide, would you rather a "half assed" tune by someone who knows what they're doing, or a full tune by an amateur? I feel like they more than got their moneys worth on all the tunes I did for them that day. I stayed 2 hours late and everything just to make sure they were all happy with what they got. In fact I made each one of them test drive their cars to make sure there wasn't anything they didn't like about their tunes so I could fix it before they left (I think it was a 6 hour drive home for them). Rudy was having transmission problems and sounds like he still is. I couldn't do anything about that. The rest of them I feel got treated pretty well. If there was a problem it should have been addressed before you left, not on the internet. But that's just my opinion.

Chuck
Old 02-13-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Snapps
<< 408ci and acheived 499.4rwhp & 468rwtrq on a mustang dyno. That was with a unfinished tune. As well the Eddi current system was enabled when I ran. I only did one run as well. "I love it when ppl talk out there ***".
You just proved my point. Your 408 made 500 at the ground on a mustang dyno, but you don't bother to tell us your combo. A little searching shows that you have AFR 225's, so your 408 has better flowing heads, and bigger valves. From some of your other posts it appears that you also have an M6, and are still on the stock 10 bolt.

It's posts like yours that make people think that every 408 will hit 500 rwhp. If you don't elaborate on your combo most people are going to assume that very few if any variables (tranny, rear, heads...) different from someone else's setup.

I'm not talking out of my *** here. In looking at the original poster's combo i would say that given all the variables of his particular car (small heads, A4, unlocked, only two dyno pulls...) that 430 rwhp is nothing to sneeze at. And his track numbers backed up my previous assumptions.

Now please
Old 02-13-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck@HPE
Well you decide, would you rather a "half assed" tune by someone who knows what they're doing, or a full tune by an amateur? I feel like they more than got their moneys worth on all the tunes I did for them that day. I stayed 2 hours late and everything just to make sure they were all happy with what they got. In fact I made each one of them test drive their cars to make sure there wasn't anything they didn't like about their tunes so I could fix it before they left (I think it was a 6 hour drive home for them). Rudy was having transmission problems and sounds like he still is. I couldn't do anything about that. The rest of them I feel got treated pretty well. If there was a problem it should have been addressed before you left, not on the internet. But that's just my opinion.

Chuck
Honestly if I were you id just include the A/F ratio and charge the $500 just so you dont get people bitching at you. Not saying you cant tune without it just some people are never satisfied. However, i wouldnt post that your not going to give group rates or discounts and so on just because of one customer as it is a turn off for potential customers. I agree though he should have contacted you and resolved things if he is unhappy rather than post it here and make a huge deal about it.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

First of,I'm not pissed at all or at Chuck in anyway lets get that clear.I think Chuck is a great tuner,I just commented why the low #'s I personally think it can be better.I didnt ask Chuck for a $300 dollar tune,I called him up I asked to get us deal on three cars,cool we agreed.Now if Chuck,knows he did a half *** job cause of the price,then let be in his concious.I have no problem paying the bills to get a great tune,but I assumed I was going to see a air/fuel meter thing,basline runs,then compare a before after thing.Try diffrent timing and fuel parameters etc.....If that was the best then alright,but it doesnt hurt to keep trying like Tony said.
If the case here is cause I didnt pay the extra money,**** I would have,but I didnt know.Tony hit right on the spot,about the 205's being alright for a 408,I talked to Tony several times on cylinder head choice,he said it will be allright.Im going to dyno this afternoon with wideband to see where its at,on a dyno jet and Ill lock the converter.Lets not turn this thread into hating thing,its for us to help each other out,if you dont want to help thats totally okay,expressing opinion its okay also.
I know I left alot on the table ,I dont have a pulley to start off,I never purchased a low temp thermostat,didnt port the fast intake and small heads.I just want better #s and any recommendation or experiences anybody has had.

Last edited by marine02ss; 02-13-2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Regular

First of,I'm not pissed at all or at Chuck in anyway lets get that clear.I know alot more than you all think,all these things you all talk about I understand and know.I think Chuck is a great tuner,I just commented why the low #'s I personally think it can be better.I didnt ask Chuck for a $300 dollar tune,I called him up I asked to get us deal on three cars,cool we agreed.Now if Chuck,knows he did a half *** job cause of the price,then let be in his concious.I have no problem paying the bills to get a great tune,but I assumed I was going to see a air/fuel meter thing,basline runs,then compare a before after thing.Try diffrent timing and fuel parameters etc.....If that was the best then alright,but it doesnt hurt to keep trying like Tony said.
If the case here is cause I didnt pay the extra money,**** I would have,but I didnt know.Tony hit right on the spot,about the 205's being alright for a 408,I talked to Tony several times on cylinder head choice,he said it will be allright.Im going to dyno this afternoon with wideband to see where its at,on a dyno jet and Ill lock the converter.Lets not turn this thread into hating thing,its for us to help each other out,if you dont want to help thats totally okay,expressing opinion its okay also.
I know I left alot on the table ,I dont have a pulley to start off,I never purchased a low temp thermostat,didnt port the fast intake and small heads.I just want better #s and any recommendation or experiences anybody has had.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:47 PM
10 Second Club

Definitlly looking foward to your results
Old 02-13-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brandon
Exactly! You can not compare a M6 car on a dynojet to a big stalled automatic car on a mustang dyno. Oranges to apples x2.

SInce you seem to want every little bit of hp you could get why not go with the 225's to gain that extra 10-15 hp?
Old 02-13-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

"300 dollar tune, figured they got a bargain."

"So let me get this straight, because you discounted your prices for a group purchase, you half-assed the tuning because you didnt get the full amount? thats bull-shiza, I would think twice about using you after hearing that."

I let Chuck respond to this comment
Old 02-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Launching!

I remember putting down 3 graphs on Lingenfelter's dyno, all were 330rwhp on the
dynojet, and running I was running 10.90 in the 1/4 mile all motor at 3000lbs raceweight.
Self-tuned with LS1 edit and NO wideband.
The power was blowing right through the converter(too loose), but it was good enough
to make the all motor passes.

330rwhp and running 10.90 :p

I later put together a 402ci motor and got it to dyno 535rwhp. In the same car, but I
added a 10-point cage, parachute, and the iron block. It ran 9.77 in the 1/4 mile at
3280lbs, running a glide and a converter that was TOO tight(1.5x 60ft). Self-tuned with
LS1edit. I used wide band, but later leaned it back and got better track times.

You can't put a whole lot of faith in the dyno, especially with an automatic tranny.

AND Chuck is correct that a person with a lot of experience with engine tuning can get
reasonably tuned without a wideband. The signs of how a good/bad a motor is running
can be found with a number of indicators, just like he mentioned in an earlier post.

Don't blindly trust the machines that measure. It's just one more of many indicators for
how a motor is running, and they all seem to run differently and tend to like different
things to run better. Just be advised that a rough tune might stand some improvement
with a *fine* tune, then you take the car out to run it and you tune it some more.

Jay Johnson
Old 02-13-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

"Chuck from HPE" Well you decide, would you rather a "half assed" tune by someone who knows what they're doing, or a full tune by an amateur? I feel like they more than got their moneys worth on all the tunes I did for them that day.

I dont know how I missed this comment by Chuck,this is "Bull%t".So u gave us a half *** tune cause of the money,your full of crap,if I knew this from the beginning I would"nt have gone there I just asked for a deal not a crappy job u obviuosly did.Ill prove u wrong Chuck, your not all that in tuning.You had poor customer service,never interacted with us whatsover,you seemed uninterested.Listen to this,we were there at 10:30am that morning after a 5hr drive,he tuned the CETA,then the blue SS,after that one of his previous customer got there and retuned his car,he skipped me and was yacking with the other car.WTF was that Hello I was there first.Who gives a crap now,its all over.I know better know not to purchase,recommend,or go to that place anymore.The tuning on the transmission we fixed it ourselfs,thanks for nothing,no more hitting the rev limiter 2 to 3rd.I wasnt going to bash u or anything but let the truth be known,of my experience that day at HPE

"Id rather have a full tune by an ameture in this case"
Old 02-13-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

if someone says they will do something for a certain price they should do it to the best of their ablilities, or explain that it may take more money for dyno time. hopefully someone or a shop can help marine01ss out. have you put the car on another dyno yet? I bet there will be big difference.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by marine02ss
"Chuck from HPE" Well you decide, would you rather a "half assed" tune by someone who knows what they're doing, or a full tune by an amateur? I feel like they more than got their moneys worth on all the tunes I did for them that day.

I dont know how I missed this comment by Chuck,this is "Bull%t".So u gave us a half *** tune cause of the money,your full of crap,if I knew this from the beginning I would"nt have gone there I just asked for a deal not a crappy job u obviuosly did.Ill prove u wrong Chuck, your not all that in tuning.You had poor customer service,never interacted with us whatsover,you seemed uninterested.Listen to this,we were there at 10:30am that morning after a 5hr drive,he tuned the CETA,then the blue SS,after that one of his previous customer got there and retuned his car,he skipped me and was yacking with the other car.WTF was that Hello I was there first.Who gives a crap now,its all over.I know better know not to purchase,recommend,or go to that place anymore.The tuning on the transmission we fixed it ourselfs,thanks for nothing,no more hitting the rev limiter 2 to 3rd.I wasnt going to bash u or anything but let the truth be known,of my experience that day at HPE

"Id rather have a full tune by an ameture in this case"

damn man I dont know if he's f#$%ing around or what but that was a f#$%ed up commet from chuck, I dont think that was very smart of you posting a commet like that chuck, We drove almost 6 hours to your shop cause we thought you were the guy that would do us a good tune for us. Turned out that all we went for was for a half *** tune and poor customer service, **** we could of gone with Mike Morillo in Sanantonio and I bet he would of done a way better job then you did, I know because he's tuned to of my f bodys before and real tuner dosent make 2 pulls and says its perfect without even getting a baseline.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Whoa this thread went to ***** pretty quick. I think your numbers are good with all the different factors coming into play. Just like a few others have pointed out though the dyno numbers don't mean crap but your track numbers do. With all the stuff you can still do to your ride plus the fact that it is a fullweight car those are some great track numbers.

My LME 427 with some MTI heads never really dynoed over 430 rwhp but it still pulled 10.20's on motor which I was happy with. Just my .02 cents.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow! this has become very interesting. I will have several questions when ever I do choose a tuner. Well glad to hear that your tranny is ok and I can't wait to hear the new dyno numbers.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,745 Likes on 1,303 Posts

It amazes me at the class of some people.i totally understand that Marine02ss felt disappointed that his numbers were low....but he didnt understand the background on the power loss of his setup with drivetrain,less than full potential components and dyno choice.He gets it explained to him and says that hes not pissed at Chuck but then continues to rip on him.And FYI to get a tune for $300 from somebody who knows what theyre doing IS a good deal.
Then you have MR. 5XXhp 408...."wow those numbers suck" meanwhile hes running AFR 225s and is a stick
And id love to see the specs on the 402 and the tuning files as well.Theres a big diff between a tune thats setup for good streetability and a full days tune to make it perfect which from what was said about the changes made obviously alot of time was spent perfecting this tune.
"Welcome to the internet where everybody is a mechanic and owns a 10 sec car!"Its absolutely amazing some of these post.The only people who made sense were don,chuck,and tony who werent biased and who didnt base their comments on their $.02.The numbers where were they should have been,had he spent the day tuning the numbers would have improved...but the track doesnt lie.Dont race dyno's
Old 02-13-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

Have u even seen the comment Chuck made,do u actually think thats professional,seriuosly money is not the issue if he wanted more Ill give him more $,just get it right,about the customer service deal read on,then post.I pretty much know the diffrence of whats gets lost thru drivetrain and stuff.I"m not a newbe to this,but explain why the comment?I'm not a mechanic,I'm a GM ASE certified Technician with lots of experience behind me.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,745 Likes on 1,303 Posts

I saw his comment and maybe it wasnt the perfect thing to say but i see what he was trying to get across.You should have told him from the beginning to take his time and get it right no matter the price instead of a group purchase.And no offense to you but if you are a GM ASE and have lots of experience than you wouldnt have even started this thread becaues you would have understood why you car "Only 430rwhp WTF"
Old 02-13-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by marine02ss
"300 dollar tune, figured they got a bargain."

"So let me get this straight, because you discounted your prices for a group purchase, you half-assed the tuning because you didnt get the full amount? thats bull-shiza, I would think twice about using you after hearing that."

I let Chuck respond to this comment
That was my question also. If I got a "group rate" deal, I'd assume it would be the same quality tune at a discounted rate because there were a group of people. Who would have thought that you'd get a "half-assed" tune because HPE felt that's all you deserved after receiving a group rate. I can't stand it when someone makes you feel like you are getting a deal, only to screw you back out of it. Knowing that, it would have been better to pay the non-group rate and get the non-half assed tune!! I won't deal with shiesty people.....
Old 02-14-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Regular

If I got a "group rate" deal, I'd assume it would be the same quality tune at a discounted rate because there were a group of people. Who would have thought that you'd get a "half-assed" tune because HPE felt that's all you deserved after receiving a group rate.

That what I think also,but anyways I was speaking on my experience on saturday at HPE,if anybody has been treated good ,good to go.Dont get me wrong HPE has a great setup as a shop ,clean and have good working people there and stuff,but anyways I hope my car gets better as it goes.