Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Mercedes vs LS1 torque ... why so high

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was playing with one on the road the other day, and had no idea what the hell it was. no I understand. what do these cars run in the quarter. we both gave each other the thumbs up, cool guy.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Saw a TT Benz at the track clicked off 4 straight 11.8s on street tires.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dang! Yep, there's a guy that works in the same building as me. I'd heard so much about the AMG-built Mercedes and I have been waiting for him to jump on me for about 6 months. Finally, about 2-3 months ago, he did. We were leaving work and when the light changed to take the Interstate ramp home, he tried to pass me and I watched him fall back pretty quickly. Later, I looked it up and it wasn't so powerful and I felt bad a bout beating the guy so bad. It was a E-55 AMG ... not one of the faster ones. Anyway, I let off at about 80 and slowed down ... maybe he would have done better on top-end, but he sure didn't look like he had much up top, either.

Saw the guy about a week later and said if I ever want to sell my car to give him first option to buy ... !!!!
Old 02-25-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Dave88z
If you think thats a lot of torque check out the SL600. They have a twin turbo V-12 and it makes over 700 ft-lbs at a ridiculously low RPM. If you could shove that motor into a lighter car (SLK!!!) .....Holy ****!
The 600s don't make quite that much torque, the 650 ones do though. They still have to run the 5 speed autos in those since the 7 speed trannies can't handle the torque. I'm pretty sure the engine management cuts back the torque quite a bit at lower speeds also.