Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

03 Cobra dyno numbers BS or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprayed1998
But to all the ford guys, there is just somthing sweet about making big numbers NA, I love telling people I make 400+rwhp with a cam and headers.
I don't know what makes it "so sweet", I never understood that. Impressive, sure, but no more impressive than a turbo motor 6 banger making 1000rwhp. Power is power no matter how you look at it, there really is an EXACT science to it.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ibanez7
make the game even and allow 1 power adder to both, that being a supercharger. A supercharged fbody will spank a SC cobra, but then again SC cobras with ported blowers are mean ******* cars to race against!

I find it funny that it took ford a SC to beat a ls1, then let alone release it when fbodys are no longer made.

Yet some of you STILL FAIL TO SEE that the LS1 is a higher compression motor with more cubes!! OF COURSE IT WILL MAKE MORE POWER WITH A BLOWER!!! The point is making reliable power on pump gas that is sold in the states, which means ford gives the motor low compression. If GM were to build a warrantied blown LS1, you can bet every dollar you have that it would also be a lot lower compression.

I am just glad that more than half of the LS1 owners have a brain (probably about the same percentage can be said about mustang owners).

I am about done TRYING to give an educated argument here. The last couple of clowns just don't get it.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ITSTOCK
Your car running 12.9 is also gay, I fail to see a logical argument in the last two things posted (the 12.9 comment, and your comment). Don't hate me because I ran 12.6 bonestock with my little 281.

At least my little description about power is slightly educated
What?? 12.9 comment?? WTF are you talking about? And yea you have really educated us with your "gay" remarks.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01bird58
What?? 12.9 comment?? WTF are you talking about? And yea you have really educated us with your "gay" remarks.
I said that me stating you running 12.9 is gay, is just as stupid as you stating that ford needs FI is gay.

Are you really this slow??? Or is this just a friday afternoon thing?

The only logical argument in the past 15 posts is that power is made through different methods. The LSx uses higher compression and bigger cubes, while the cobra uses lower compression and smaller cubes+blower.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mellowyellow
Good point about the TQ.. Next time I want a 20 punch...

Next time we can go from 0 or 20 with my setup.

It should be done in a couple of weeks or so. Nice runs with you, car runs great.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vcious04
Next time we can go from 0 or 20 with my setup.

It should be done in a couple of weeks or so. Nice runs with you, car runs great.
Nah not yet without a rear swap ..
Old 03-24-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mellowyellow
Nah not yet without a rear swap ..
Just mount my wonderfull irs under your bird.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
How can you say its hard to get 500hp out a n/a ls1???
see what the ratio is for head+cam n/a ls1 cars over 500rwhp to the ones under 500 rwhp. i'd guess the ratio is about 1:100.

then see how long that motor lasts @ 7,200 rpm making your 524 rwhp on 108 octane with that big badass radical race tune.

it comes down to what's reasonable, and most 500+ rwhp stock cubed ls1 engines are not.

boost is king.

and to the guy stating that muscle cars don't have forced induction...
30 years ago, most cars didn't have overdrive either, it's a thing called TECHNOLOGY...get used to it.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DocEwww
Talking about your trap doesnt help your case when argueing it isnt a dyno/roll racing queen.
Want to find out what my ET is? Grab a lane. That's how you'll find out.
<--- Street Racing Director. Get it?
Old 03-24-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s346k
boost is king.

30 years ago, most cars didn't have overdrive either, it's a thing called TECHNOLOGY...get used to it.

Right on.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Gona go a little off topic and prolly get ripped, but isnt a TRUE musclecar supposed to come out of the factory N/A and not need the help of FI to make great power. I dont recall any late 60's musclecars using a SC. And just me, but I dont like hearing a high pitched wine at WOT. I think Ford saw how good the design of the LS1 was and needed to throw on a SC to catch up to them. Do Cobras make badass power and times - yes; am I cautious of them on the street - yes; do I have as much respect for them as F-bodies - NO.
Yeah its called the Charger. Roomers are flying around that the new Camaros and Corvettes may have to be supercharged to put out high hp numbers without failing emissions laws. I hate when people whine and complain about FI or NO2. If you can run 9s and 8s NA you're a Bad ****, and a rich one at that these days. Cobras to me are cost effictive vehicles for those in that income bracket. Think about it, you wanna spend 32-38k for a car. The F-Body is dead and you dont want a beat up car. Cobra will put out 400+ rwhp with bolt ons. Sometimes I think car guys are the most ignorant people on the planet, this isnt directed directly towards the guy I qouting its just a general statement. You can say you dont respect a 600rwhp Kenne Bell Cobra or a No2 powered F Body Fox Body or whatever. All I have to say is strap in and drive one, if you dont **** your pants when 800rwtq kicks in you're a badass and most people on this forum havent experienced that but sure have experience hidding behind a keyboard. When that AMS Evo was raping everyone online F-Bodys Cobras and Covettes all lost by large margines. Was it because of boost or weight? My opinion, that guy wanted a fast as **** little car with traction. Build your car for what you want it for and shut up if someone has something you dont like, you arent driving it and if it rapes you and you loose money bitch to mommy and daddy they're the only ones who will care.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As mentioned earlier this might be a 3000 post thread... But the bottom line is like it or not 03/04 Cobras are bad ***.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Patrick G
You would be a fool not to respect a pent-roof designed 4 valve motor running a positive displacement blower. That is about the ultimate in street power and reliability. The problems with the Cobras are the same problems with the LS1 F-bodies...the factory made a badass motor and surrounded it with a mediocre chassis. With proper mods, the chassis can perform like superstars, but not necessarily in stock form.

Bottom line, pay respect to the Cobras because you might look stupid if you get your *** handed to you by one of them.
Yay, an intelligent post!
Old 03-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Teching In

according to edmunds.com, here's the weigh's for the Camaro and Cobra

02 Camaro coupe 3439 lbs convertible 3574 lbs

02 Cobra coupe 3665 lbs convertible 3780 lbs

weight difference 226 lbs 206 lbs..

you all must be talking about the Corvette when your talking your cars weight 400 to 500 lbs less than the 03/04 Cobra..

3210 lbs for the ragtop C5, 3214 for the targa C5 and 3116 for the Z06..

now if you want to compare ***** sizes, look at the May issue of MM&FF, where with the install of a Hellion single turbo on a stock long block 03 Cobra, they made 847 hp to the wheels, and the article says John Urist is might have something to satsify the authors of MM&FF's quest for 1000 hp at the wheels..
Old 03-25-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vcious04
Just mount my wonderfull irs under your bird.
Hell no..
Old 03-25-2006, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

i agree with everyone else. I just came back from the dyno today and coincidentally it was a cobra dyno day. the majority of the cars there were over 400hp with minor bolt ons. i saw a stock one put down 365hp today. I dyno 333 and me and a stock cobra go heads up, its a drivers race.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

cobras are not dyno queens only, they are fast.

the thing with cobras is weight. my 3380 pound formula putting down 379 to the rear was beating up on a pullied and exhaust(catback) cobra on many runs.
the bastard wouldnt run me off the line either which sucked.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Talking You Are Right In A Way

Originally Posted by s346k
see what the ratio is for head+cam n/a ls1 cars over 500rwhp to the ones under 500 rwhp. i'd guess the ratio is about 1:100.

then see how long that motor lasts @ 7,200 rpm making your 524 rwhp on 108 octane with that big badass radical race tune.

it comes down to what's reasonable, and most 500+ rwhp stock cubed ls1 engines are not.

boost is king.

As you can see i am boosted, Boost is good, guys knock ford for a supercharger dont hate go with the flow I know dam well if the new camaro comes out with a supercharger just about everybody on this board will jump on it And for the record this motor was built in 01 he drives the car everyday 20 miles to and from work and i cant remeber how many track passes. a 500+ n/a motor will live as longs you want it. Its about how you drive it and care for it so dont try to put a time line on how long it lives he has a street tune and a track tune its called TECHNOLOGY GET USED TO IT
Old 03-26-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Talking urban what???

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
As mentioned earlier this might be a 3000 post thread... But the bottom line is like it or not 03/04 Cobras are bad ***.
HIJACKER IN ROUTE::::

Sup man how is everything well its cool in IRAQ
But i will see you guys soon get ready for the main event
remeber(KEEP 4 WHEELS DOWN)!!!

take care
Old 03-26-2006, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

ITSTOCK, Ok what about the LS2, LS6, LS7... blows the doors off any N/A Stang. In the LS7's case off of any SNAKE. I never said only LS1's. And 8 year old LS1's are still heads up to the newest Mach 1's.
Amen brother. 'stangs are ok for some....but GM has the SH@# !!

Quick Reply: 03 Cobra dyno numbers BS or not?