doesnt matter
21.74%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Mustang Dyno vs. Dynojet

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you turn the load off you will get a even LOWER number.
You are then accelerating faster which in turn "uses" more hp.

The more load=slower acceleration rate which = more "measured" hp....TO a point.

Originally Posted by Trust
Mustang dynos will dyno higher than a dynojet if the loading functions are turned off. Each are a tuning tool, and as long as your not jumping around dynos to tune, like mentioned, you'll be just fine. It is a tuning tool, no more, no less.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:41 PM
Banned

I was told the Mustang Dyno is a little nicer on the numbers.
New Era ( Here in Rochester ) I think has both, but since I moved farther west I havent tried thiers.

Since my next mods are gears/better stall, I dont think im going too anytime soon.
But whatever the case, I think its smart to go to use same place.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

DynoDR is "right on" with the posts stating something like, "SAE is for atmospheric conditions only, not proceedure standards and that if you decrease the dyno's load you decrease the readings or vice versa. Keep in mind that the auto industry quotes their HP/TQ using the RPM step method, meaning that they increase the load enough to hold the RPM at constant RPM points, then record the numbers, causing much higher readings. Most chassis dynos decrease the load to allow the RPM sweep method for numbers. This proceedural change will cause different readings from type of dyno to dyno in itself, not to mention the dyno marketing department's temptation to have a dyno that provides the highest numbers.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

The thing that most people lose sight of is that Dyno's are TUNING TOOLS. I personally use mustang dyno's for all my tuning, but as long as you confirm your AFR's on the street and use the same dyno each and everytime to log HP gains/loses then you are on the right track.

edit: Dyno's are also only as accurate as the person setting them up.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Reapar
The thing that most people lose sight of is that Dyno's are TUNING TOOLS. I personally use mustang dyno's for all my tuning, but as long as you confirm your AFR's on the street and use the same dyno each and everytime to log HP gains/loses then you are on the right track.

edit: Dyno's are also only as accurate as the person setting them up.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a car yesterday and have a graph of with and without the eddy current. This is on a mustang dyno.

With Load - 632/665
No Load - 674/687

42hp/11tq Difference.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang Dyno vs. Dynojet-13lbs.png   Mustang Dyno vs. Dynojet-eddyturnedoff.png  
Old 06-03-2006, 05:41 PM
Teching In

I choose mustang dyno with the vehicle simulator it far surpasses the dynojets period. whether the DJ has eddy or not. the MD applies the load for the correct amount for the cars weight and then factors in wind drag and applies it accordingly with acceleration. thus putting out a lower number being all that is taken out of the HP and TQ numbers. making it the closest possible to rear world. street/drag strip like the car performs on. if a cars only purpose was to dyno and never touched the pavement hell DJ all the way. you get higher numbers.. but dyno number don't win drag races. nor do they have much of anything to do with a proper tune for that fact. granted you can see if you gained or lost power. but getting the correct timing and A/F for that combo and making its drive abilty good for the street. is key. I put it like this its all in your tools and how you use them.. if you have a DJ you have a craftsman box with just wrenches in it.. if you have a MD you have a fully loaded snap on box full of tools and specialty equipment. JMO you can very well build a race motor with just wrenches can you? so how can you tune with out the proper equipment. I would like to see the industry standard DJ 248 steady state load.. and yes now after SO many years they have eddy current absorption. but what all companies had it first? I picked MD since I think its a better tuning tool.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2muchTA4U, I agree with everything you stated. One thing that I have observed that is obvious. As the public becomes more dyno educated, there is a rapid shift taking place as to the acknowledgement that a load simulation dyno is better for testing and tuning. Those of us (that cut our teeth on the old Sun and Clayton load chassis dynos) that tried to inform others of this a few years ago got put down hard from many cult like followers of the inertia only dyno. Now, because we have a load simulation dyno, customers are driving miles out of their way to be tuned on it. I knew this would happen but it sure took a long time.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:26 PM
ESR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Default .....

I perfer mustang dyno. I tend to play with boost cars more where load is important.

Originally Posted by dynocar
2muchTA4U, I agree with everything you stated. One thing that I have observed that is obvious. As the public becomes more dyno educated, there is a rapid shift taking place as to the acknowledgement that a load simulation dyno is better for testing and tuning. Those of us (that cut our teeth on the old Sun and Clayton load chassis dynos) that tried to inform others of this a few years ago got put down hard from many cult like followers of the inertia only dyno. Now, because we have a load simulation dyno, customers are driving miles out of their way to be tuned on it. I knew this would happen but it sure took a long time.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Extremely more important for turbo applications.

Originally Posted by ESR
I perfer mustang dyno. I tend to play with boost cars more where load is important.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just got mine done, and it was at a local shop here in IL, and my car put done 409rwhp and 364rwtq..

Quick Reply: Mustang Dyno vs. Dynojet