Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Dyno operator/equipment errors possible?

Old 06-26-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dyno operator/equipment errors possible?

This kinda is a tuning question
Just curious who here has had there Car run wierd on the dyno, yet run fine on the road or another dyno? Can the dyno be hooked up wrong? Can haveing the wires they use to read rpm etc make your ignition misfire,as there wires were right on the DELTEQ?, ASR(traction control) on, E Brake on etc etc. Just curious as I am trying to find out why my car ran LEAN (according to the tailpipe AFR readings, 14 to 1), yet dumped black smoke on 2 different tunes. F/P made no difference either.
Car was 12.9 to 1 on another dyno with bung in behind header for wideband, and I lost 25 rwhp and 60ft/lbs of torque with this dyno.
My TTS datamster lodding software shows no signs of detonation and the O2's read around 900mv at WOT, and no black smoke etc or pinging.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car ran @ 12.7:1 w/ a wideband on the street & on a mustang dyno, and then 14:1 + on a dynojet (local shady shop) w/ obvious signs of detonation from looking at a plug. Went back on the street w/ a wideband & it was 12.7:1. So yes, if a dyno is not configured propery the car will not run right.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
My car ran @ 12.7:1 w/ a wideband on the street & on a mustang dyno, and then 14:1 + on a dynojet (local shady shop) w/ obvious signs of detonation from looking at a plug. Went back on the street w/ a wideband & it was 12.7:1. So yes, if a dyno is not configured propery the car will not run right.
Thats sounds identical to mine. WHat ignition, etc do you have. DO you have anymore idea what configurations could cause this to happen?
Old 06-26-2006, 02:24 PM
10 Second Club

This was w/ a stock LS1 ignition, a cam only car. In my case I think that the dyno operator didn't know how to set things up (vehicle weight, etc.). That particualr dyno is one that some local guy just bought and put in a crappy old barn. He really didn't know what he was doing. Everyone that was on that dyno was running lean all day.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

Steve - I dynoed at that particular shop last Wednesday (6/21). I have an LC-1 installed in the driver's side O2 bung on my LTs. The shop's wb was in my cutout in the i-pipe. Their wb read between .3 and .1 leaner than my LC-1 for all 3 runs.

Do you have a wb? Maybe do some late night hwy blasts to get a real world sample of wot AFR. If you need it, you can borrow my LC-1 for the check.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bshell
Steve - I dynoed at that particular shop last Wednesday (6/21). I have an LC-1 installed in the driver's side O2 bung on my LTs. The shop's wb was in my cutout in the i-pipe. Their wb read between .3 and .1 leaner than my LC-1 for all 3 runs.

Do you have a wb? Maybe do some late night hwy blasts to get a real world sample of wot AFR. If you need it, you can borrow my LC-1 for the check.
Hey, So your LC1 shows leaner by that much? The wierd thing is the lack of black smoke when I floor it on the highway, other than the initial black cloud.
But, I do have a bung on the right side, and I will be back in a few weeks, as I am in Washington state right now working a boat.
Can you pm me your number etc?
Old 06-26-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

I'll send you a pm. Just to clarify...the dyno's wb read leaner than my wb by .1 to .3
FWIW, my car blew some smoke at 12.8 - 13.0:1 on the dyno. I would think the smoke wouldn't be as visible on the hwy at speed. You should've seen Charlie's smoke screen when he dynoed NA with his nitrous tune!
Old 06-26-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bshell
I'll send you a pm. Just to clarify...the dyno's wb read leaner than my wb by .1 to .3
FWIW, my car blew some smoke at 12.8 - 13.0:1 on the dyno. I would think the smoke wouldn't be as visible on the hwy at speed. You should've seen Charlie's smoke screen when he dynoed NA with his nitrous tune!
HHMM. but it still doesnt explain the loss of HP(-25rwhp) and TQ(-60ft/lbs) compared to BSM's
Old 06-26-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

Did it get re-tuned with the delteq? Maybe better ignition = better spark = better, more complete burn = leaner final AFR? If the car was in fact running too lean, that would explain the loss of power. Also the BSM dyno appears to be a bit more generous than Hypersports, I've been on both. It's not enough to make the drop in hp / tq you are seeing though.

Search this Thread