Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Dyno tune vs Street tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno tune vs Street tune

Since this is the advanced tech section, most of you must have your preffered method of tuning.. I have previously just got one my street tuned cars on the dyno and it pulled less then what the dyno tune did.. drove the dyno tune but it didn't feel as fast as the street tune did...

what type of tuning do you prefer and why ??
Old 06-27-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Street tune: you don't drive on a dyno.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A dyno tune will get you close. Get some WB feedback from driving on the street and then adjust the dyno tune to get you even closer.

Dyno's are a good tool, but just that..A tool. They way they simulate the loading effects on the motor is different then the street. Street and track tunes usually (like 90-99% of the time) work the best because they are realistic and in their eviroment.

I think Pro Stock John is the one that likes to drive/race on the Dyno.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

Read here as well:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-engineering-tech/530395-tuners-inside-loaded-vs-unloaded-wot-f-ratios-long.html
Old 06-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Launching!

yea, street is more realistic. Like more realistic in air drag and air induction.
Although they try to make the dynos more realistic, with big fans
Old 06-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Banned

Its easy, you can do most of the work on the dyno like meassuring timing cell by cell and your trims as well, or building a VE table also. Then you go to the street when you are done and check over your work. Seems to work the best.

Rick
Old 06-27-2006, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

That thread Adrenalin referenced is a good one! From the discussions on this forum and others the following seems to be the case to me. The short and sweet. Tune the car on the street if you want the street to be where the car shines, tune the car on the track if you want it to be where the car shines, or tune the car on the dyno if you want that to be where the car shines.

More then likely dyno tuning will result in a tune that is too lean for the street. Further, a street tune may result in a car which is lean when launching at the track if your car dead hooks.

More load on the motor needs more fuel, more fuel comming from the appropriate table values in the tune ofcourse. Good luck
Old 06-27-2006, 08:32 PM
Launching!

you will see different IATs on street than you would at just 1 dyno.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DAPSUPRSLO
More load on the motor needs more fuel, more fuel comming from the appropriate table values in the tune ofcourse. Good luck
Thanks, see thats the thing.. i completely re-did my VE tables to suit according to what AFR i wanted to be at on the street, but when i came to the dyno, the owner stuck back the stock VE settings and played with the PE enrichment settings (base afr vs ect & Mult vs RPM)

Now i know VE is best suited for drivability, but tweaking the settings has actually given me power that i can actually feel
Old 06-28-2006, 09:41 AM
Banned

Again, I think most are missing the point. There is a way to do Both.

If you have the correct type of Dyno and tools, you can build all your tables, VE, MAF, ect. Then you can make your power also on the dyno. After all is said and done, you go check it on the street. Yes, the IAT's are different, this is why you hit the street so you can see where to put the scaling in the IAT versus Timing table. All these things come together if done right. But I dont think there is one better route than the other, I think both are needed.

rick
Old 06-28-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

As long as you can accurately measure the engine dynamics you can properly tune - be it on the street or track.

Real load capable dynos are critical for certain applications and can accelerate the process but in the end, are best for low RPM, high load isssues and WOT graphs to impress others.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

well here is the dyno, its from a 2002 trailblazer.. the results show that neither NET gains of the street tune have more power then the dyno..

Althought one thing i did do to the street tune before loading it on the dyno was to set the PE delay to 2,000rpm from 4,750rpm...i have a feeling this might be the factor..
Old 06-28-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

We tune on the street with BS3 on my car, its pretty easy to get it setup where everything is rich enough to make good pulls and then only a few good pulls to get everything in range.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

street tune

Quick Reply: Dyno tune vs Street tune