Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Another AFR & 224/228 Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how are your cometic head gaskets holding up? did you prep your deck surface any special way? I love the good, consistent results with the "recipie" but have read that those gaskets can leak.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive been spraying with my cometics for about 2k now and every thing is fine. i spent about 3 hours cleaning the block and threads out and thats it as far as prep.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimes
how are your cometic head gaskets holding up? did you prep your deck surface any special way? I love the good, consistent results with the "recipie" but have read that those gaskets can leak.
I've only got 400 miles on my set up, and knock on wood- the gaskets are fine. I spent 2 hours on one side - the other side maybe an hour. Lots of elbow grease, scotch brite pads and brake cleaner. I used a razor blade to get off the big chunks and then went to town with the scotch brite pads. I was most nervous about the deck surface after hearing the horror stories of those gaskets not sealing... Just spend the time and be very **** about it and you should be fine. I have copper spray but didn't use it on the head gaskets, just the header gaskets. Do a search on Tony Mamo's posts. He described the process he uses with sandpaper and wd40 as an alternative.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redtail2426
i run 42's on mine and it runs very smooth,no injectors will give you suring/bucking,but a tune that isnt real good will.you need to have them go over the tune with a fine tooth comb.
Thanks. I've gotten some PMs that the tune needs to be revisited. I'll have to speak to speed inc. about cleaning up the little stuff.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:11 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

looks like a great setup-cant wait to dyno my pig i have nitto's out back with the 4.10's. the car really hooks like glue, hardly any spinning
Old 07-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pdd
looks like a great setup-cant wait to dyno my pig
I've read lots of your posts over the years- Hoping this set up gets you some nice numbers.

I had some major seat time with it since last Friday and simply, it pulls like a freight train... After my latest fill up, I heard /felt it knocking at 5k in 4th and 5th on a few pulls to 140+. I have never heard it before and don't know if I just got some bad / old fuel or what. Will have to keep tabs on this one.

Got into it tonight with a yellow 3000 gt or stealth. Not sure what it was for sure, cuz I wasn't behind him for long. We went at it light to light for several miles and every time, through 3 gears I'd have multiple car lengths on him- but I could see that he could lessen that gap with more runway. Nice guy and a nice car. He said 100 octane and 24 lbs of boost on his V6. He wanted to run on the freeway but I had to decline and get home. His setup seemed better from the roll - too bad I couldn't take his offer.

For what its worth- I need a shift light. 7k in 1,2 and 3 come up too fast on the street. I hit the rev limitor twice tonight.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:07 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bandit_99
I've read lots of your posts over the years- Hoping this set up gets you some nice numbers.

I had some major seat time with it since last Friday and simply, it pulls like a freight train... After my latest fill up, I heard /felt it knocking at 5k in 4th and 5th on a few pulls to 140+. I have never heard it before and don't know if I just got some bad / old fuel or what. Will have to keep tabs on this one.

Got into it tonight with a yellow 3000 gt or stealth. Not sure what it was for sure, cuz I wasn't behind him for long. We went at it light to light for several miles and every time, through 3 gears I'd have multiple car lengths on him- but I could see that he could lessen that gap with more runway. Nice guy and a nice car. He said 100 octane and 24 lbs of boost on his V6. He wanted to run on the freeway but I had to decline and get home. His setup seemed better from the roll - too bad I couldn't take his offer.

For what its worth- I need a shift light. 7k in 1,2 and 3 come up too fast on the street. I hit the rev limitor twice tonight.
thanks bro-sounded like a fun night