Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

I have a loaded question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my head hurts and now im just confused....
Old 08-15-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not on a load cell dyno, (Mustang, etc.). As stated above it MEASURES torque and calculates hp from that. But an inertia dyno, (Dynojet, etc.) measures HP and calculates TQ like you said below.

Once again, two TOTALLY different tools using TOTALLY different methods.

Originally Posted by 6speeder
It all comes back to the fact that the dyno MEASURES rear wheel horsepower, but it CALCULATES engine torque based on the MEASURED rear wheel horsepower using the engine rpm from the pickup placed on the plug wire. So it's not actually measuring rear wheel torque it is simply calculating what it would be at the engine based on the data acquired to accelerate the drum.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

i thought that my posting about how an engine overcomes the force needed to move the car by use of gearing would be a little more talked about than it is. i mean alot of ppl don't understand how that happens so now its clearified. the lession from that one posting is vast. like having a large diameter wheel puts more of a strain on the engine or how larger gears make moving the car more easier while reducing the top speed. maybe it should be reread by all.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

i thought that my posting about how an engine overcomes the force needed to move the car by use of gearing would be a little more talked about than it is. i mean alot of ppl don't understand how that happens so now its clearified. the lession from that one posting is vast. like having a large diameter wheel puts more of a strain on the engine or how larger gears make moving the car more easier while reducing the top speed. maybe it should be reread by all. i mean that i am all about dynos and finding out how much my engine is making but putting that power to the ground is what its all about