Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Mustang Verses Other Dynos

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
I see a lot of good points made in this thread, but to go back to the original question, if you are going in for a tune the mustang will be good for that. If you just want high numbers, have the operator screw with the torque arm calibration. That will give most any number you want. Seriously, between the roller weight and diameter, and the torque arm weight, among other parameters, an unscrupulous dyno operator could fake damn near any number on a mustang. Fortunately, I don't think many do.
I'm on a personal campain here to stop the rumors that certain dynos can or cannot be manipulated. Like I recently stated on another thread, any dyno's numbers can be fudged. When you see Dynojet smoothing set to zero, or not using correction factors, expecially installations at sea level in cool climates, the numbers are being fudged higher. I've seen double digit number increases simply because the dyno's line graph had transient spikes due the operator's lack of smoothing. Now you take a dyno that comes from the manufacturer already fudged and then the operator fudges it again, we have some really fudged up numbers flying around here.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

What I've been doing is go to the track and get my best run and then go to the Golen Engine site and they have all these drag racing calculators. Like if I can run a certain mph and et in a 1/4 mile compared to the horsepower figures.But if you go to the same place every time you dyno you have your base #'s and what I try to look for is how much improvement over the last time I was there.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dynocar
I'm on a personal campain here to stop the rumors that certain dynos can or cannot be manipulated.
We all know that numbers can be manipulated. We don't need you or
anyone else going on "personal campaigns."
The following users liked this post:
99 Black Bird T/A (12-27-2021)
Old 09-20-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by unit213
Sorry to offend you but when I see more then one place on LS1tech.com stating that certain dynos can or cannot be manipulated and no one else challenges such misinformation, I will continue to correct it.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

Glad to see all of the ups and downs....I'm leaving for Houston in ther morning and doing tune and dyno on Friday.....My whole point to all of this was just trying to get as acurate of numbers as I possibly can without alot of BS #'s...This will be my second dyno run,,,first one only showed 434/390...I know that's BS!!!!!Look at my sig, my buddy posted 483/440 on a a4 and his was a 403, we pretty much have the same set up except diff heads(his are afr 225's) and valve train.(his is stock)...I know I should be around 500+ with my set up.....Also, i had stock fuel pump and slipping clutch at first dyno...Now I've changed all that...We'll see
Old 09-20-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am with you DC.. I got ready to but then I figured I was just wasting my time.

Originally Posted by dynocar
Sorry to offend you but when I see more then one place on
LS1tech.com stating that certain dynos can or cannot be manipulated and no one else challenges such misinformation, I will continue to correct it.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by unit213
Not everyone on this forum knows, here are a few just recent quotes.

"The truth of it is you can not fudge a Dynojet, the software does not let you."

"You can make a Mustang Dyno or Superflow read anything you want, to name a few dial-a-hp dynos."

"Mustang dyno's can be altered to give high or low results."

"A Dynojet is the industry standard when it comes to dyno numbers. They cannot be altered to change the output."

I think that we have others with "personal campaigns", at least I admit it.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 381 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I think dynocar took my post the wrong way. I wasn't saying mustangs are the only dynos that can be manipulated, they are just the only ones that I am familiar with the software on. The truth is that any tool that uses software can be manipulated in some manner.
Old 12-26-2021, 06:47 AM
Teching In

I'd love to see what it makes on a Dynojet - On avg Dynojets read about 13% higher - Like you said #s are #s but HP does sell.

Great combo!
Old 12-26-2021, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,257 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by mariofromnewyork
I'd love to see what it makes on a Dynojet - On avg Dynojets read about 13% higher - Like you said #s are #s but HP does sell.

Great combo!
Replying to a 15-year-old post. HP does sell, but inflated numbers are false advertising and do NOT sell.
Dynos are only good for measuring improvements on the same engine on the same dyno.
madmike9396 (12-27-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 10:03 AM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Replying to a 15-year-old post. HP does sell, but inflated numbers are false advertising and do NOT sell.
Dynos are only good for measuring improvements on the same engine on the same dyno.
There's a reason many race series use dynojets to set class horsepower levels, the least amount of end user configuration results in the most consistent readings so they are very repeatable location to location and car to car.

Not sure I'd buy the inflated numbers don't sell because a huge market is based around "improper horsepower gains", after all ricer math has sold for decades

G Atsma (12-27-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 112 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Dyno

Dynojets are more consistent one to another. In my experience with a mustang Dyno they are easy to manipulate the numbers or be less accurate. I hate it when people say they would automatically make more horsepower on a dynojet because their car was tuned on a mustang Dyno. This is not true. The one I used you had to put in variables like vehicle weight and when you a having add in info for the calculation that can easily change the numbers .
I have a Dynojet 248 and have been told it reads low compared to other Dynos locally.
It's a tuning tool, leave it at that

Last edited by zzracer; 12-28-2021 at 08:11 AM.
G Atsma (12-27-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 1,009 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Tuning tools.
Valuable tuning tools both Mustang & DynoJet.

The idea of SAE numbers at rear wheels is laughable because SAE is a FLYWHEEL standard as specified. That's typical internet speak. STD is the rear wheel standard. However, none of that silly hair splitting really matters because any given dyno is only as good as its operator, how well its been maintained and calibrated.

Between different well maintained, correctly calibrated and operated DynoJet's that are 700 miles apart in different climates - I've seen less than 1 % of difference.

If one is really serious about hp accuracy on a chassis dyno, pull the rear brake pads as they can rub and cost 10 whp, get the car fully up to operating temperature then do 10 dyno runs in the same configuration and average the results. That gives a more accurate picture 📸

DynoJet's can be VERY consistent and that’s often very important to race teams and a big factor in how DJ's became wide spread and popular.

Ultimately, how fast it runs at the track is what matters. Both Mustang's and DynoJet's excellent tools.

One also has to use a bit of common sense looking at dyno results too. Say we have a car in Arizona or somewhere that's very hot, dyno'd on a day the air temp is 110F degrees. Car has a trusty Racetronix 255 w/hot wire fuel system that can support up to 600 whp.

With a Correction Factor CF of 1.25, the Forced Induction car makes 725 whp according to the dyno. Fuel system maxed out during dyno run.

The 725 whp Dyno results look nice on paper.

We should all realize in COLDER 🥶 air that's a disappointment maybe disaster waiting to happen. The fuel system can't actually support 725 whp.

That's just a correction factor illusion. No one should surprised the car won't run like 725whp car should.

G Atsma (12-28-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 430 Likes on 301 Posts

Any dyno with any type of brake is going to be a better tuning tool than a free spinning inertia dyno.

Accuracy is debatable between the 2.
Inertia dynos are often more repeatable as long as there are no traction issues.
Dual roller brake dynos can have their number vary quite a bit based on allowed acceleration rates, etc.
Example: Using a Dyno Dynamics (The Hearbreaker) in both N/A 4-cylinder mode and boosted V8 modes will give greatly different results.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I only have experience w/ a loaded MD dyno. They do "read" lower than a DJ and Jesus did people bitch. We got tired of hearing about it and explaining it constantly so we added a math channel so it "shows" DJ numbers and BAMMM people were happy because their car made what the internet said it should.

Can you manipulate a MD dyno? I've read you can but I haven't. There's so much **** in that program I'd have no idea where to start.

I will say with a 100% certainty that changing the vehicles weight does not effect power numbers. Multiple times over the years, I've either selected the wrong vehicle, customer or customers vehicle, ran it, realized my mistake and changed it to the correct vehicle and the numbers didn't change.

There's actually a lot of really good info in this thread that there is no reason to repeat.

There are two things people say when comparing MD and DJ.

"The DJ shows better numbers than a MD" and "Well you can manipulate a MD." That's their entire argument when defending a DJ.

Look in every dyno thread on the internet and I promise those statements will be there.

It's tool and that's it. What it's used for most of the time is so people can brag how much their car puts out but never go out and actually prove it.

When Don came and helped set up our dyno years ago. I told him all that thing is, is a big dick measurer.
Old 01-03-2022, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 480 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I only have experience w/ a loaded MD dyno. They do "read" lower than a DJ and Jesus did people bitch. We got tired of hearing about it and explaining it constantly so we added a math channel so it "shows" DJ numbers and BAMMM people were happy because their car made what the internet said it should.

Can you manipulate a MD dyno? I've read you can but I haven't. There's so much **** in that program I'd have no idea where to start.

I will say with a 100% certainty that changing the vehicles weight does not effect power numbers. Multiple times over the years, I've either selected the wrong vehicle, customer or customers vehicle, ran it, realized my mistake and changed it to the correct vehicle and the numbers didn't change.

There's actually a lot of really good info in this thread that there is no reason to repeat.

There are two things people say when comparing MD and DJ.

"The DJ shows better numbers than a MD" and "Well you can manipulate a MD." That's their entire argument when defending a DJ.

Look in every dyno thread on the internet and I promise those statements will be there.

It's tool and that's it. What it's used for most of the time is so people can brag how much their car puts out but never go out and actually prove it.

When Don came and helped set up our dyno years ago. I told him all that thing is, is a big dick measurer.
"DICK LENGTH ANALYZER" (Local shops term... ) LOL

I've used a Super Flow , both engine and drive on, When the motor moved from the engine unit to the drive on, the calculated crank was always close enough. But fully equipped, and factory set up they require a bucket of blood to purchase, and they have pretty rigorous cal and setup.
LilJayV10 (01-04-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Any dyno can be manipulated however track results are the truth. With that said, a mustang dyno with correct load application will be far superior to any dynojet garage queen numbers you see out there.

To many people get caught up in high dyno numbers then get walked by a car supposedly making less hp. Increasing correction factors and blowing on weather stations may blow up a customer’s ego however their track results will surely hurt them internally.

If rolling the dice, I’d take a XXX rwhp mustang tuned car over a XXX rwhp dynojet car any day.

Quick Reply: Mustang Verses Other Dynos